Jerry Jones threatens to sue NFL if Roger Goodell's contract extension is approved

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is just a horrible take.

So Greg Hardy shouldn't have been suspended?

Ray Rice shouldn't have been suspended?

There is a reason we have a criminal justice system. It is far from perfect but it is the best in the world.

In my opinion the higher priority here is equal treatment under the law.

There is a reason we have a criminal justice system. It is far from perfect but it is the best in the world.

In my opinion the higher priority here is equal treatment under the law.

It has nothing to do with the justice system.

If I catch someone doing something that reflects poorly on our company, they can absolutely lose their job. Same goes for millions of businesses around the world. Why should that not be the case for the NFL?

It has nothing to do with the justice system.

If I catch someone doing something that reflects poorly on our company, they can absolutely lose their job. Same goes for millions of businesses around the world. Why should that not be the case for the NFL?

I admit there are merits to both sides of the debate.

The NFL pulled the wool over the eyes of the players association when they signed the current CBA. Plain and simple.

No they didn't. Everything the players agreed to was there in black and white. They had choice if they didn't like it. The fact is the owners have 99.9% of the power in this. Plus when it comes down to it the players just don't care about the punishment powers of the commish. At least not enough to give up anything and they sure as hell aren't going to hold out because of it. Fact is too many players can't afford to miss a check so they won't. Their time in the league is limited and their contracts aren't guaranteed. They have to play.

No they didn't. Everything the players agreed to was there in black and white. They had choice if they didn't like it. The fact is the owners have 99.9% of the power in this. Plus when it comes down to it the players just don't care about the punishment powers of the commish. At least not enough to give up anything and they sure as hell aren't going to hold out because of it. Fact is too many players can't afford to miss a check so they won't. Their time in the league is limited and their contracts aren't guaranteed. They have to play.

I don't know if "pulll the wool" is the correct expression, I think he just meant they were taken to the woodshed by the owners last go-around... which they were. I have said for years that DeMaurice Smith is a clown and has preyed upon the players. They love him because he encourages public combativeness instead of looking out for the interests of his group. He basically let go of 12% of revenue so players can have less contact in practice... and relinquished all authoritative power. Who Ruined the NFL Players Union? - VICE Sports Two years ago, Ben Volin of the Boston Globe evaluated the 10-year pact that Smith spearheaded and ultimately signed, concluding that "no matter how you slice it, the owners obliterated" the NFLPA. A prominent, anonymous NFL agent was even less charitable, telling Volin that the union "absolutely failed" its membership by agreeing to "the worst CBA in professional sports history."

I don't know if "pulll the wool" is the correct expression, I think he just meant they were taken to the woodshed by the owners last go-around... which they were. I have said for years that DeMaurice Smith is a clown and has preyed upon the players. They love him because he encourages public combativeness instead of looking out for the interests of his group. He basically let go of 12% of revenue so players can have less contact in practice... and relinquished all authoritative power. Who Ruined the NFL Players Union? - VICE Sports Two years ago, Ben Volin of the Boston Globe evaluated the 10-year pact that Smith spearheaded and ultimately signed, concluding that "no matter how you slice it, the owners obliterated" the NFLPA. A prominent, anonymous NFL agent was even less charitable, telling Volin that the union "absolutely failed" its membership by agreeing to "the worst CBA in professional sports history."

Smith has his faults but to lay this all at his feet isn't fair. His hands were tied. His members did not want to miss checks. They were telling their leadership get a deal done no matter what. The fact is the NFLPA is fractured and a bunch of individuals. They don't care about future players or power. They want their money. Again it goes back to the fact that they don't have guaranteed contracts and their careers are like 3 years on average. On a ten year deal most won't around for half of it.

We'll see. I tend to disagree with you. The players have the power IMO and the PA is prepared to hold out when this CBA is void or expired.

We'll see. I tend to disagree with you. The players have the power IMO and the PA is prepared to hold out when this CBA is void or expired.

I'm not sure they are. When push comes to shove, are they willing to miss game checks? I'm not sure all the issues but they won't hold out just off punishment of very few percentage of the players in the league.