Jerry Jones threatens to sue NFL if Roger Goodell's contract extension is approved

The NFL acts as a quasi-Justice System when the NFL disagrees with the actual Justice System.

I do agree the players are Stupid Stupid Stupid for letting the The Rog be a King.

The NFL pulled the wool over the eyes of the players association when they signed the current CBA. Plain and simple.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL pulled the wool over the eyes of the players association when they signed the current CBA. Plain and simple.

My only hope is that the Players utilize their new found powers (subverting the NFL) to negotiate a much better collective bargaining agreement next time around.

The Shield is slowly devouring itself.

With the final eight weeks of the regular season beginning tonight, there’s no reason to think this year’s troubling trend will change, because there’s no reason for people to return to following football after the various debates and town halls and other political shows and specials that sucked people away from watching football before November 8, 2016. And with, as Darren Rovell of ESPN noted on Wednesday, total ratings are down 5.5 percent through the first nine weeks of 2017 in comparison to the first nine weeks of 2016, the absence of a post-election bounce means the gap is about to get bigger.

Ratings decline could soon become more pronounced – ProFootballTalk

If I didn't have fantasy football, I wouldn't be watching. There is way too much side show stuff going on with the NFL.

If I didn't have fantasy football, I wouldn't be watching. There is way too much side show stuff going on with the NFL.

The NFL makes it so hard to be a fan.

Other than actual games or RedZone everything else is a hot mess and you can't get away from controversy after controversy.

My only hope is that the Players utilize their new found powers (subverting the NFL) to negotiate a much better collective bargaining agreement next time around.

Who knows, maybe Kap will win his collusion lawsuit and we'll have a new CBA sooner rather than later. If so, the ball is squarely in the players court because they have been working on this essentially since they signed on the dotted line of the present CBA.

What any company does with situations like what the NFL is dealing with is completely different and separate with different rules than the justice system. For example, the whole freedom of speech argument has no impact legally with what the NFL players do on the football field before a game. There is no first amendment protection for what they are doing as it relates to their employment. If the NFL wants to fire a player because he is kneeling they have every right to do that. There is no first amendment protection there. There might be some collectively bargain protection but that is a contractual situation not something related to the justice system. The bottom line on the point I am making is what happens to Zeke in the justice system does not preclude the NFL from taking action against him.

What any company does with situations like what the NFL is dealing with is completely different and separate with different rules than the justice system. For example, the whole freedom of speech argument has no impact legally with what the NFL players do on the football field before a game. There is no first amendment protection for what they are doing as it relates to their employment. If the NFL wants to fire a player because he is kneeling they have every right to do that. There is no first amendment protection there. There might be some collectively bargain protection but that is a contractual situation not something related to the justice system. The bottom line on the point I am making is what happens to Zeke in the justice system does not preclude the NFL from taking action against him.

I hear what you are saying and I agree it is the NFL's right to do it. However, that is a scary world. A world where a Corporation with a total monopoly decides your fate as a human being without any real due process.

I agree. But besides saying that the players signed up for it, how fair is this? Goodell caused this problem by drastically overstepping his bounds IMO.

Pardon my ignorance but was Bill O'Reilly convicted of anything? I don't think he was. He was forced to resign by Fox. If all my statements there are true, what is the difference between Bill O'Reilly and Zeke Elliott?

The difference is there are lots of places for pundits to work and make a lot of cash, for professional football players it is the NFL or bust and please everyone don't hand me any CFL blah blah blah.

Coming full circle VoR I would say the difference is the NFL is a monopoly.

Meanwhile, I've never watched more. Other than finding something else to do for the Bengals' three hours per week, I've watched just about every game this season.

Meanwhile, I have never watched less.

1 game all season so far.

The difference is there are lots of places for pundits to work and make a lot of cash, for professional football players it is the NFL or bust and please everyone don't hand me any CFL blah blah blah.

Coming full circle VoR I would say the difference is the NFL is a monopoly.

Then should the NFL not be allowed to suspend players at all? The monopoly concern applies to all players and all circumstances.

Then should the NFL not be allowed to suspend players at all? The monopoly concern applies to all players and all circumstances.

I do not think the NFL should be able to suspend anyone based on unproven allegations of criminal activity.