Who wins?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you describe "had their way"?

For Comparison: Total Defense: (Total Yards/Rushing/Passing) :: PTs Scored :: Total Offense Beechwood(Total Yards/Rushing/Passing)

Lloyd (324/302/22) 14 (345/185/160)

Corbin (417/161/256) 29 (340/119/231)

CovCath (411/173/238) 45 (203/80/123)

Simon K (349/162/187) 22 (256/89/167)

The Cov Cath game was over early. Total stats are irrelevant.

Maybe it's just this old coach from bygone generations, but, I always found it easier to defend the top runner when he was a minimally effective thrower playing QB. Versus the deceptiveness of him getting the ball out of a running back position. Love Blackburn but would fear him more if he wasn't saddled with operating out of the QB position. Anybody, not from Ludlow, think I'm crazy.

I was on the Dayton coaching staff a couple years ago when we were up 14-7 at halftime against Beechwood. The ball bounced our way every single play. At halftime we could hear the players saying it is a matter of time before they wake up. The final was 56-21. I was also on the 96 Dayton team that had the Tigers on the ropes in the Regional Final. I will root for the fellow River City team but unfortunately for the River City schools it is a HUGE mental block to get past. Best of luck to both teams: players, staffs, and fans/families.

Maybe it's just this old coach from bygone generations, but, I always found it easier to defend the top runner when he was a minimally effective thrower playing QB. Versus the deceptiveness of him getting the ball out of a running back position. Love Blackburn but would fear him more if he wasn't saddled with operating out of the QB position. Anybody, not from Ludlow, think I'm crazy.

In today's football I believe having your best player touch the ball every play is huge, especially in spread offenses. Even on set passing plays Blackburn is a threat because he has a huge arm and throws a very accurate deep ball. Plus he could scramble to give receivers time to get open or just take off an run it.

Ludlow actually tried having Blackburn at rb a lot last year. While he still produced it wasn't nearly as much as he has done his sophomore and now senior year being at qb full time.

Not to mention Ludlow also has two very good running backs to go along with Blackburn at qb.

He does great at qb.

This game comes down to 2 factors. 1- Can Ludlow withstand the depth of Beechwood because while no 1A team is extremely deep Beechwood is the deepest I’ve seen they rotate D-Line every couple plays plus only 2 lineman actually play both ways so it helps keep them fresh. 2- Can Blackburn move the ball against a very fast and hungry defense. While Ludlow is 6-0 which is excellent, Beechwood is battled tested against very good teams. As I watched Blackburn against Carroll County this year he is very physical but Beechwood has faced that several times with Corbin’s physical QB and Fann from Lloyd. I just don’t see any scenario where Ludlow can match points with Beechwood.

Beechwood- 54

Ludlow- 21

In today's football I believe having your best player touch the ball every play is huge, especially in spread offenses. Even on set passing plays Blackburn is a threat because he has a huge arm and throws a very accurate deep ball. Plus he could scramble to give receivers time to get open or just take off an run it.

Ludlow actually tried having Blackburn at rb a lot last year. While he still produced it wasn't nearly as much as he has done his sophomore and now senior year being at qb full time.

Not to mention Ludlow also has two very good running backs to go along with Blackburn at qb.

Sorry, missed my point. I am a huge Blackburn fan and agree with all your points. Was just saying, if I were a D coach, I would prefer him getting the ball from a standing start than hitting the line full speed while reading the opening holes ahead of him. Just this old guys opinion. For clarity, he is doing everything his coaches are asking at a level beyond expectations.

Sorry, missed my point. I am a huge Blackburn fan and agree with all your points. Was just saying, if I were a D coach, I would prefer him getting the ball from a standing start than hitting the line full speed while reading the opening holes ahead of him. Just this old guys opinion. For clarity, he is doing everything his coaches are asking at a level beyond expectations.

Ludlow runs the spread so he lines up in the shotgun so you never know what he is going to do.

Justin Blackburn - Hudl

One thing to remember as everyone concentrates on Ludlow's offense and Blackburn's ability to generate points..............he is also going both ways and is a defensive standout. So naturally the more Beechwood can make him work on defense the less effective he and Ludlow will be on offense. I really think the game comes down to how much the BW offense can score on the Ludlow defense. Ludlow has to avoid short fields and needs to get off the field on defense.

One thing to remember as everyone concentrates on Ludlow's offense and Blackburn's ability to generate points..............he is also going both ways and is a defensive standout. So naturally the more Beechwood can make him work on defense the less effective he and Ludlow will be on offense. I really think the game comes down to how much the BW offense can score on the Ludlow defense. Ludlow has to avoid short fields and needs to get off the field on defense.

Great point. He even punts. Don't think he is on the kickoff team; but, not sure.

Ludlow runs the spread so he lines up in the shotgun so you never know what he is going to do.

Justin Blackburn - Hudl

Have seen them play and I am a great cheerleader of Blackburn. But, if I were to defend him, I would still prefer him getting the snap as QB in shotgun, looking for a hole while starting from the dead stop than hitting the hole with a full head of steam as a true HB. Just this old guys preference.