Cats Pause 9th Region Preview

I will go ahead and say that Boone WILL take that #2 spot in the 33rd and may give Cooper a run for their money. I watched Haynes nearly all summer and neither Cooper nor Conner match up well with him. I know he’s only one player but he will pose some problems for both schools.

I expect a big season out of Haynes as well!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is out of left field but I was curious as to the other Boone County schools that you would think could compete with Cooper in the 33rd.

Over the last four years:

Boone County - 49-69

Conner - 56-53

Ryle - 45-70

Cooper - 86-31

Do you think any of the other coaches are feeling heat? Ryle is a tough place to not succeed at with their parents. Boone County should have talent and athletes every year. I am just surprised that no team can push Cooper.

It is worse if you look at the 35th.

Covington Catholic - 121-21

Holy Cross - 53-61

Holmes - 76-44

Beechwood - 51-59

NKY is in need of some change but that's just my opinion.

I know this is out of left field but I was curious as to the other Boone County schools that you would think could compete with Cooper in the 33rd.

Boone County - 49-69

Conner - 56-53

Ryle - 45-70

Cooper - 86-31

Do you think any of the other coaches are feeling heat? Ryle is a tough place to not succeed at with their parents. Boone County should have talent and athletes every year. I am just surprised that no team can push Cooper.

Holy Cross - 53-61

Holmes - 76-44

Beechwood - 51-59

Not really sure of the significance of your post. To simply suggest a team should be challenging Cooper simply by record doesn’t say a lot. Yes, Cooper has consistently gotten better over the last six years frankly but up until last year had not reached the regional finals and subsequently became state runner-up. Two years ago they were hammered with injuries and lost on the first round, 3 years ago they were upset by St. Henry in the first round of the regionals. 4 years ago they didn’t make the regionals and 5 years ago they were beat at the buzzer by Holmes. (If memory serves me correctly)

Yes, Cooper has been the most consistent team in the district. They have the best coach in the district and I’d argue one of the best in the state that gets the absolute max from his players. Two of the other schools have had coaching changes but this district is very competitive with Jags having not one but two rivals theoretically and Cooper will not take a night off.

Boone will challenge Cooper with Haynes and Rodgers but I still believe Cooper will have too much depth for the other teams in the district but the games will need to be played.

CCH has the luxury of loads of talent trying to get in that roster so it is what it is and probably not gonna change any time soon but Holmes has a ton of pride and I’m sure they will do what they need to do to right their ship. Beechwood is very competitive as well.

Boone County - 49-69

Conner - 56-53

Ryle - 45-70

Cooper - 86-31

Holy Cross - 53-61

Holmes - 76-44

Beechwood - 51-59

Just curious, what do Ryle's parents have to do with the success of the team? IMO, parents on the High School level, parents are simply relegated to being great cheerleaders.

Just curious, what do Ryle's parents have to do with the success of the team? IMO, parents on the High School level, parents are simply relegated to being great cheerleaders.

My point with the parents is that they were instrumental is the moving on from two previous coaches. Most of that had to do with a select few parents but they were the most vocal of the group of parents. Ryle parents don't like to be 2nd best at anything. That's not a bad thing but it tends to create problems for coaches and administrators.

My point with the parents is that they were instrumental is the moving on from two previous coaches. Most of that had to do with a select few parents but they were the most vocal of the group of parents. Ryle parents don't like to be 2nd best at anything. That's not a bad thing but it tends to create problems for coaches and administrators.

Gotcha, that does seem to ring a bell. But since Coach McFarland has been there for a number of years, these select parents are more than likely not involved with the program due to graduation of their kids. I think he is doing the right things. He may be taking a page out of the Football team (Union Raiders) in creating a basketball league for younger kids called Ryle Youth Basketball league with all the grade schools that feed into Ryle. Developing talent since he hasn’t had the luxury of talent transferring in like Cooper. Not disparaging Cooper, Sullivan’s success draws talent which is a great thing.

Not really sure of the significance of your post. To simply suggest a team should be challenging Cooper simply by record doesn’t say a lot. Yes, Cooper has consistently gotten better over the last six years frankly but up until last year had not reached the regional finals and subsequently became state runner-up. Two years ago they were hammered with injuries and lost on the first round, 3 years ago they were upset by St. Henry in the first round of the regionals. 4 years ago they didn’t make the regionals and 5 years ago they were beat at the buzzer by Holmes. (If memory serves me correctly)

Yes, Cooper has been the most consistent team in the district. They have the best coach in the district and I’d argue one of the best in the state that gets the absolute max from his players. Two of the other schools have had coaching changes but this district is very competitive with Jags having not one but two rivals theoretically and Cooper will not take a night off.

Boone will challenge Cooper with Haynes and Rodgers but I still believe Cooper will have too much depth for the other teams in the district but the games will need to be played.

CCH has the luxury of loads of talent trying to get in that roster so it is what it is and probably not gonna change any time soon but Holmes has a ton of pride and I’m sure they will do what they need to do to right their ship. Beechwood is very competitive as well.

Covington Catholic has had the same talent through the years. The difference is the culture changed the minute ONE PERSON walked into the halls in PARK HILLS. That one person has focused his program 100 percent on development year round. His coaching staff is second to none when it comes to development. It will only stop if he leaves. Covington ton Catholic will be a nightmare for next five years. Word from a well known local college coach they have the best 8th grader in the state of Ohio coming and he’s a potential NBA player. IF your laughing he averaged 35 points for all Ohio red Nike team. If he does indeed show up and it’s true god help the ninth region. Sullivan one regional finals in 10 years , Ruthsatz 5 in six years not much of a comparison Mr Sixer.

Covington Catholic has had the same talent through the years. The difference is the culture changed the minute ONE PERSON walked into the halls in PARK HILLS. That one person has focused his program 100 percent on development year round. His coaching staff is second to none when it comes to development. It will only stop if he leaves. Covington ton Catholic will be a nightmare for next five years. Word from a well known local college coach they have the best 8th grader in the state of Ohio coming and he’s a potential NBA player. IF your laughing he averaged 35 points for all Ohio red Nike team. If he does indeed show up and it’s true god help the ninth region. Sullivan one regional finals in 10 years , Ruthsatz 5 in six years not much of a comparison Mr Sixer.

And with all of that, they have been runner up in the region the last two years.

Hopefully the same arrogant coach walks by Coopers student section waving and pointing at his state championship ring this year in the semifinals at regionals. That made it even better when Cooper beat the brakes off CCH in the finals

Cooper had a hell of a year! I’m a huge Cooper fan but no comparing he two programs.

Hopefully the same arrogant coach walks by Coopers student section waving and pointing at his state championship ring this year in the semifinals at regionals. That made it even better when Cooper beat the brakes off CCH in the finals!!!

CCH is a marquee program - they don't need coaches acting like adolescents. Compete and win.

The math for the 9th region follows pretty simple logic - Ruthsatz and Sullivan are two of the best development/game coaches and program builders in the state. Both CCH and Cooper have established cultures that attract talent and drive players to be and give their best.

You watch either program and you consistently see skills, on-court leadership, desire, and cohesiveness superior to their opponent - especially the programs in the 9th region.

CCH and Cooper have very talented teams - but it's the leadership and culture of their respective programs that set them apart.

I will go so far as to pick Cooper to win the 33rd even if they had inferior talent to Boone, Ryle, and Conner. That's the power of Sullivan's coaching and the program's culture. Neither would let the team lose.

CCH is a marquee program - they don't need coaches acting like adolescents. Compete and win.

The math for the 9th region follows pretty simple logic - Ruthsatz and Sullivan are two of the best development/game coaches and program builders in the state. Both CCH and Cooper have established cultures that attract talent and drive players to be and give their best.

You watch either program and you consistently see skills, on-court leadership, desire, and cohesiveness superior to their opponent - especially the programs in the 9th region.

CCH and Cooper have very talented teams - but it's the leadership and culture of their respective programs that set them apart.

I will go so far as to pick Cooper to win the 33rd even if they had inferior talent to Boone, Ryle, and Conner. That's the power of Sullivan's coaching and the program's culture. Neither would let the team lose.

Very well said!

Really? Who was comparing anything? Let’s see, CCH has been in existence over 50 years? Done great things and has a great coach. For you to even bring up the fact that a start-up school who has only completed 9 season and pales in comparison to coach who came in to an established well oiled machine speaks volumes. Funny things happen when people start writing in championships, kinda like 2016.

And some wonder why some have the attitude they have towards certain programs.....