Defenseless Defender

Jo-Jo13

So...... This is a "NEW" point of emphasis. On this play that penalty was called. I understand if its behind the play, away from the play, just standing around a pile, but this play was literally chasing the runner and was just a yard away from him and looking to make the tackle and the a clean hit, shoulder to chest and a flag. When asked he was told he has to lead with his hands extended or just make shield them with his body. Whats your opinion on this rule and how its inforced?

http://www.hudl.com/v/27z2p3

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see much if any helmet to helmet. He clearly hit with his shoulder thrusting the defenders upper body backwards. He did not lead with the head and any contact would have been incidental. They want to make this game touch football, The rule makers have been taking the contact piece by piece away for years. It was a clean block on a defender that was clearly " in the play". Bad call, Bad precedent. So the defender can plow over a blocker but the offense has to lead with hands first. When he extends his hands they will call it a hold, you can't block a running body with hands. I can't imagine two bodies running at full speed at each other and one has to extend his arms. That's going to hurt at some point. That block gave the ball carrier 10 extra yards. Legal and aggressive. That's football, and why girls don't play the game.

Maybe the helmet to helmet contact was what elicited the call?

Looking at the film, I've seen similar plays result in the same penalty. The the way it was explained to you is the way it's been explained to me, arms have to be extended when making contact on a blindside hit downfield. I've seen this a bunch at both the middle school and high school levels. I've seen 4 or 5 TD's called back.

I understand the purpose of the rule, but it has made open field blocks on punt returns, and long plays downfield more difficult. I'm struggling with coaching the correct technique that won't draw a flag. I hold my breath on every long play right now.

The rules are getting ridiculous. Anyone who is in the vicinity of making the tackle, whether its on a run play, pass play, interception return, kick return, or punt return is subject to be blocked. Requiring a blocker to lead with the hands is tantamount to two-hand touch football.

This happened in the scrimmage between Cooper and Boone this summer on an interception return. Clean block on a would-be tackler within one step of the runner but it was a penalty based on the new rules. I am not for it.

If they want to protect a tackler running from behind, then change the rules to make it illegal to tackle from behind. If the player is able to make the tackle with full force then it sure ought to be legal to block hum with full force.

I can see penalizing an unnecessary peel back block on a player away from the point of attack. But we should not interfere with a player who is coming back to block a would-be tackler who has a shot at a play.

What coach would reprimand the young man in the video for making that block? Only one who is forced by the rules committee with a stiff penalty.

it was the reff in the middle of the field. If you notice after that block he continues on down the field and makes another block. Now you have to tell that player to not be aggressive and be sure to just shield them and now he doesn't continue on down the field because he's shielding the other player. SMH

Have seen several potential game changing TDs called back for this rule AND for a strange rule that is enforced having to do with a player getting blocked with enthusiasm legally before the whistle is blown who "isn't near enough the ball carrier"...that one has been a doozy to deal with this year and last. It penalizes kids that play hard from snap to whistle. Really puzzling and frustrating.

Have seen several potential game changing TDs called back for this rule AND for a strange rule that is enforced having to do with a player getting blocked with enthusiasm legally before the whistle is blown who "isn't near enough the ball carrier"...that one has been a doozy to deal with this year and last. It penalizes kids that play hard from snap to whistle. Really puzzling and frustrating.

This has been around for a few years, and I'm completely ok with this rule and how it's been implemented and enforced. A blindside block 20 yards away from the play IS completely unnecessary. The situation in the video in the first post, is much more problematic.

Watch this video about 2017 rule changes, in 2016 it is a legal block, in 2017 under NFHS rules it is NOT. The video is made by a referee and explains the rule changes.

Cannot lead with the shoulder anymore for a block out of the free blocking zone.