AL MVP Tracker (When it Counts)

.....:lol: I like you're Oh My, mine has more emphasis though....:D

Let me re-phrase my McCarver comments. He does know the game of baseball, I'm just not interested in hearing it constantly....

As for Welsh, I think he tries his best and like any of us, makes mistakes. Back to the MVP discussion....do you like Jeter, Thomas, Ortiz or others?

As I stated earlier, I will go with Thomas in this post-season. However, in the regular season, Big Papi. (Sorry, Jeter fans)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I stated earlier, I will go with Thomas in this post-season. However, in the regular season, Big Papi. (Sorry, Jeter fans)

Defensively Big Papi's much better than Jeter...:rolleyes: The same with Thomas.

If you want to choose better hitter, produces more runs, more game winning hits...etc. Fine, fight with Big Papi and Thomas. If were talking Most Valuable PLAYER...Jeter. End of story.

Last night was a perfect example. Thomas hits 2 home runs and is responsible for two runs. Jeter hits two doubles, which allows four total runs to score plus a home run. The factor that everyone seems to ignore is that Jeter also started a double play that probably saved another run.

I've stated this before and I know it's not popular but my opinion of the MVP, is it should be awarded to a "every day position player".

With that said, I do believe Ortiz had/has a strong chance of getting the votes to win MVP. He's had a very good offensive production year and hits in the clutch, amazingly well. I just prefer, the every day position player who helps at the plate and in the field.

Pitchers shouldn't win MVP, DH's or utility players. Just my opinion. I look at the MVP, as the Most Valuable Player in the league and not the "most important to his team"....

I've stated this before and I know it's not popular but my opinion of the MVP, is it should be awarded to a "every day position player".

With that said, I do believe Ortiz had/has a strong chance of getting the votes to win MVP. He's had a very good offensive production year and hits in the clutch, amazingly well. I just prefer, the every day position player who helps at the plate and in the field.

Pitchers shouldn't win MVP, DH's or utility players. Just my opinion. I look at the MVP, as the Most Valuable Player in the league and not the "most important to his team"....

And that's where I think you're in the minority of voters. Let's face it, DH is a position. I think we all (around here) have NL mentality. If they aren't to be as "considered" as position players, then what award will we construct for the DH of the year? Pitchers have Cy Young, Fireman of the year, etc. and what is there for DH only? To not include them equally is to minimize the importance of the DH. I'll also argue that this is always an offensive award. The only time anyone brings up defense with regards to the MVP is in a very close race, a gold glover may get the nod, otherwise, the numbers at the plate are the difference. If you included clutch hits, Big Papi wins hands down IMHO.

And that's where I think you're in the minority of voters. Let's face it, DH is a position. I think we all (around here) have NL mentality. If they aren't to be as "considered" as position players, then what award will we construct for the DH of the year? Pitchers have Cy Young, Fireman of the year, etc. and what is there for DH only? To not include them equally is to minimize the importance of the DH. I'll also argue that this is always an offensive award. The only time anyone brings up defense with regards to the MVP is in a very close race, a gold glover may get the nod, otherwise, the numbers at the plate are the difference. If you included clutch hits, Big Papi wins hands down IMHO.

I got an idea for a DH. Since they are Designated "Hitters". Win a batting title or the home run crown...etc.:p

Also, you take Big Papi's clutch hits this season while down 10 games and I'll take Jeter's in the playoffs...again...:p

Forget the regular season MVP. Let's track who is getting it done when it truly counts. AL MVP looks like it's between Morneau and Jeter but I'll even add the Big Hurt in there. This should leave zero doubt...

Game 1:

Morneau: 0-4

Jeter: 5-5, HR, 2 Doubles, 1 RBI

Thomas: 3-4, 2 HR, 2 RBI's

You forgot one

Big Papi: DNP

I certainly don't have NL mentality, trust me. Might be in the minority, not sure.....DH's can win the Silver Slugger Award. I like defensive players and any good baseball program, is built around Pitching and Defense, then Offense.

DH is a batting position and not a fielding position. MVP's to me, are players that are the best who help both in the field and at the plate. Most awards, are production related I agree but until a DH plays in the field and goes through the rigors other players do, I'll never be in favor of an MVP, being awarded to a DH.

Big difference between clutch and MVP....You may have created an award for DH's, the "Clutch Award", given to the best DH who bats 4 offensive times per game and sits down, the rest.

I certainly don't have NL mentality, trust me. Might be in the minority, not sure.....DH's can win the Silver Slugger Award. I like defensive players and any good baseball program, is built around Pitching and Defense, then Offense.

DH is a batting position and not a fielding position. MVP's to me, are players that are the best who help both in the field and at the plate. Most awards, are production related I agree but until a DH plays in the field and goes through the rigors other players do, I'll never be in favor of an MVP, being awarded to a DH.

Big difference between clutch and MVP....You may have created an award for DH's, the "Clutch Award", given to the best DH who bats 4 offensive times per game and sits down, the rest.

So, Ortiz led the AL in HR, RBI, Walks, and 2nd in Slg%, and the races were not terribly close. So you don't even consider him?! Trust me, I'm in no way in favor of the DH, nor am I in any way a Boston fan, but what the guy does is more than remarkable. Sure, you can argue he has protection from Manny, etc. but that same argument could be made for guys like Jeter. I suppose we will not agree on this one, because if I had to start an AL team today offensively, Big Papi would be my first selection.

So, as strictly a hitter with nothing else to worry about they can't win a batting title. Yet, they should win the MVP...BOOOOOO!!!!

C'mon Stick, like I just posted, he won 2 of the 3 triple crown categories, and you won't consider him for MVP? Really? Not to mention again, the races aren't that close, and he missed how much time with that heart issue? His #'s would have been even more gaudy!

I'll turn that around on you then, the Twins catcher won the batting title and played most every day, is he your MVP?

So, Ortiz led the AL in HR, RBI, Walks, and 2nd in Slg%, and the races were not terribly close. So you don't even consider him?! Trust me, I'm in no way in favor of the DH, nor am I in any way a Boston fan, but what the guy does is more than remarkable. Sure, you can argue he has protection from Manny, etc. but that same argument could be made for guys like Jeter. I suppose we will not agree on this one, because if I had to start an AL team today offensively, Big Papi would be my first selection.
I will agree with you, that we won't agree on this one.....:D

I would NEVER begin a team, around a player that does not play a defensive position or can put the ball in his hand, to determine the outcome of a game....Ortiz has put up impressive offensive numbers and you are correct, that Manny hitting behind, gets him better pitches to hit (which is what Dunn misses, but another thread).

You take Popi, I'll take Jeter....I'll be playing in the playoffs, you'll be watching them on TV....:sssh:

.....I'll turn that around on you then, the Twins catcher won the batting title and played most every day, is he your MVP?
He would get a vote from me, before I would vote for Ortiz.

I will agree with you, that we won't agree on this one.....:D

I would NEVER begin a team, around a player that does not play a defensive position or can put the ball in his hand, to determine the outcome of a game....Ortiz has put up impressive offensive numbers and you are correct, that Manny hitting behind, gets him better pitches to hit (which is what Dunn misses, but another thread).

You take Popi, I'll take Jeter....I'll be playing in the playoffs, you'll be watching them on TV....:sssh:

Notice I said offensively. I'll take Papi, you take Jeter, my next pick will be A-Rod, I may miss the playoffs, but I will generate more revenue!!!:p :lol:

I know and you know that pitching is the bottom line, but with regards to the MVP, then I assume that Jeter is your AL MVP, correct?

Notice I said offensively. I'll take Papi, you take Jeter, my next pick will be A-Rod, I may miss the playoffs, but I will generate more revenue!!!:p :lol:

I know and you know that pitching is the bottom line, but with regards to the MVP, then I assume that Jeter is your AL MVP, correct?

My next choice would be Santana and I would K, Popi and A-Rod....then my revenue would increase, from the extra ticket sales of 7± home playoff games...:D

Yes, Jeter would be my choice for AL MVP.