AL MVP Tracker (When it Counts)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon Sticky, you're better at arguing than that!!!

The bottom line is that it's fine with you guys in the post season that a DH wins an MVP award, but not the regular season, regardless of his #'s. Surely you can't argue that Ortiz's #'s are staggering for the past couple of seasons, is that not consistency, and when they won the WS, was his offense a major, if not the major factor in the success? Especially in the post-season!

His numbers that you are referring to, which are staggering is HR's and RBI's....Jeter had 54 more hits than Ortiz.....54 more, that is staggering.

If he hit 3rd or 4th, he would have had 160± RBI's....

A lot of value, is attributable to where you hit in the lineup. I give more value to the MVP, than offensive power numbers....being a complete player, is certainly one quality.

C'mon Sticky, you're better at arguing than that!!!

The bottom line is that it's fine with you guys in the post season that a DH wins an MVP award, but not the regular season, regardless of his #'s. Surely you can't argue that Ortiz's #'s are staggering for the past couple of seasons, is that not consistency, and when they won the WS, was his offense a major, if not the major factor in the success? Especially in the post-season!

Honestly, why do you think they vote on the MVP's before the post season? Part of it is this reason. People would complain that Thomas deserves it when in reality, he had a few good weeks and it's the last thing people remember.

You are right, I guess. I do think it's fine for a DH to win MVP in the playoffs but not regular season. Producing to win 3/4 games can mean the series. Producing to win 3/4 games in the regular season means diddly poo.

His numbers that you are referring to, which are staggering is HR's and RBI's....Jeter had 54 more hits than Ortiz.....54 more, that is staggering.

A lot of value, is attributable to where you hit in the lineup. I give more value to the MVP, than offensive power numbers....being a complete player, is certainly one quality.

That's the biggest quality, IMO. Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers, HR Crowns, Strikeout Crowns, Cy Youngs...etc. are things a person can hang their hat on that excelled for that particular season on that particular thing. MVP is the total package from start to finish...

Just like Ortiz would have had he played every game without the ailment.:thumb:

My point is that your rule of MVP for the post season is inconsistent IMHO with the one for the regular season. I suppose it is what it is, and we'll not agree, and that's okay, we both know pitching is where it's at anyway!:thumb:

That's the biggest quality, IMO. Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers, HR Crowns, Strikeout Crowns, Cy Youngs...etc. are things a person can hang their hat on that excelled for that particular season on that particular thing. MVP is the total package from start to finish...

Dunn's award??????:cry: ;)

Just like Ortiz would have had he played every game without the ailment.:thumb:

My point is that your rule of MVP for the post season is inconsistent IMHO with the one for the regular season. I suppose it is what it is, and we'll not agree, and that's okay, we both know pitching is where it's at anyway!:thumb:

That's not your opinion that's our opinion...I thought we made at least that part clear...;)

Agreed and to me, part of the reason they created those awards.

Every "position" player, receives a Silver Slugger Award and same, with Gold Golve. If they want to recognize the DH, then give a ODH....Outstanding Designated Hitter award....I would have no problem with that.

On a lot of teams, the middle relieve who gets no credit, zero, nothing, nada....can be just as critical to success, as a DH in my book. Do their job and help his team win, but they don't garnish any accolades like the status of MVP.....DH's are "designated to hit" and often, because they have limited mobility, no range, can't field or too fat....which in turn means, not good enough to play an everyday position in MLB.

....My point is that your rule of MVP for the post season is inconsistent IMHO with the one for the regular season. I suppose it is what it is, and we'll not agree, and that's okay, we both know pitching is where it's at anyway!:thumb:
....Nope, I believe I've been very consistent and in a "series", ANY player can be a hero, star or hot player.

Over the course of a season, I'll take the guys who plays 162 games, every day and for 3hrs and 15 minutes, each day....Over the "hitter" who plays 10 minutes and eats seeds in the dugout, at the MLB level.

...For the record, "I'm a FAN of Baseball" and not a "Homer" to any player....:thumb:

Let the record show, so noted.

:thumb: :thumb: As am I Srike, Just bc I think Jeter is THE best player in baseball (along w/ Pujos coming in 2nd) I have had people call me a Jeter "homer". Thats fine with me, I love baseball and to me Derek Jeter is an example of wht a baseball player should be. Thats all.

Every "position" player, receives a Silver Slugger Award and same, with Gold Golve. If they want to recognize the DH, then give a ODH....Outstanding Designated Hitter award....I would have no problem with that.

:thumb: Again Strike, excellent post. I also think that there should be and "ODH" award.