Drinking at Athletic Events

Guest chartman@covcath.org

Ahhh yes, my old neighborhood. My brother played youth basketball there and I played later in a men's league.

She'd play at Turners on Friday and then in the catholic school league Saturday morning. Never could figure out why she would pick 3 quick fouls in her Saturday morning games.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh yes, my old neighborhood. My brother played youth basketball there and I played later in a men's league.

No doubt !!!

Yeah, OLD is correct. Miss the OLD neighborhood....could be I just miss being young and running around there playing any kind of ball and gettin' into trouble. :lol2:

I know OLD is correct. Probably, the OLD English term for neighborhood "neahdæl" would be more appropriate for your old hood. :)

Quit tossin' high falutin words around professor. Now I have to broaden my horizon and look up the word. We simply cannot gave that!

My son, who is now a senior in HS, played in and won 3 Tiger Bowls with the Red Devils. I believe 2 of those were at Bellevue Vets while the other was at Bellevue high school field. Being a coach on the other side of the field I only was able to observe some of the out of control parents and fans as they went at each other. Blame the alcohol that was sold there or not, but when Newport 's finest have to be called, it's out of control.

Enough is enough and something must be said. I have taken in many athletic events over the last 50 some years. I have seen my son play and my grandchildren take the field. In the last few years I have seen more and more parents and fans bring alcahol to the games. Now my dad was known to drink a pint or so but never at one of my games. This must stop!! What are we teaching our children? What should be done to correct this problem or do you think this is not a problem?

I like beer as much as the next guy, but my goodness, give it up for a few hours...even if you're tailgating beforehand! I distinctly remember a group of dads who used to show up completely sauced at all of our pee-wee football games. The kids on the team used to refer to them as "whiskey row". It comes as no shock that of those 6 or 7 dads, I can remember running into at least 3 of them with their sons (my age), all reeking of booze at high school games in the last ten years or so. It's an absolute crap example.

I understand that it's nice to have a drink or two at a cookout/tailgate, and that it's nice to have a beer with your buddies when you have the chance, but we're talking youth sports here. How about teaching your kids that you love them enough that you DON'T have to get drunk to be able to enjoy watching their games?

Who said anything about being drunk? How about teaching kids that it's okay for adults to have a beer and act RESPONSIBLE..Also what about the people who don't have kids attending the school anymore but still enjoys going to the games....High School football on Friday's nights are my thing nothing like a good tailgate and a beer before the game

Who said anything about being drunk? How about teaching kids that it's okay for adults to have a beer and act RESPONSIBLE..Also what about the people who don't have kids attending the school anymore but still enjoys going to the games....High School football on Friday's nights are my thing nothing like a good tailgate and a beer before the game

If you introduce alcohol, like it or not you're going to introduce drunks. Not a chance you're going to keep all the 21 year olds coming back from college to watch a game from over-imbibing. Not a chance you'll keep every single one of the parents from over-imbibing. In a perfect world, sure, everyone would be responsible about it and it wouldn't be a big deal if a parent had a drink or two and then watched the game...but the world isn't perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I quit attending U of L football due to alcohol abuse by many of their novice and veteran fans.

Trinity/St. Xavier warn everyone by letter who orders game tickets for their annual clash. Trinity has a large posting to warn folks on its website about proper tailgating-alcohol free!

I understand alcohol may be consumed by a few adults- St. Matthews Police are watching- discretion must be practiced. If a student is caught drinking, it is going to be a long night.