Drinking at Athletic Events

Guest chartman@covcath.org

Apparently this has become a problem at St. X in Cincinnati.

St. X warns parents and fans of drinking before and during athletic events | WKRC

Personally, I'm thankful that the Diocese of Covington has prohibited tailgating on all of their school campuses. Granted, that doesn't stop folks from pre-gaming elsewhere, but I'm glad the schools are able to steer clear from it happening on their campuses.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived and worked in the Pond Creek area for SEVERAL years until being transferred seven years ago near Knoxville, TN! As a general rule there will be SOME bootlegged alcohol at just about any game or location. The bigger the game the more alcohol. That would take the fun away for me! I have stated on occasion that Tennessee fans are among the rudest I have found anywhere in any sport and at any level. I thought I had the fortune to attend the Belfry, KY vs. Knoxville Catholic game in Knoxville. They were ranked #1 4-A & Belfry was ranked #1 3-A. Catholic was running Belfry off the field and their "So-Called" coach would NOT substitute! He said in a pre-game interview that he was lacking line size that cost him a Championship the year before and recruited from anywhere and everywhere! Coach Haywood had long since pulled his starters and was furious because Knox Cath had not! A senior for Knox Catholic cracked two ribs on a Belfry Freshman and he was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital.The drunk made a statement that he hoped the kid spent the weekend there and the coach made the statement on the post radio show if they didn't want him hurt they shouldn't have had him in the game! We ALL know Coach Haywood's policy on trying to get a running clock and pulling his starters! I was SO HAPPY to learn that mighty Knoxville Catholic lost out in the SECOND ROUND to a local team they had beaten something like 65-8 during the regular season! Their contract called for them to travel to CAM the next year and and Belfry beat them something like 34-20 and Coach Haywood pulled HIS starters! When Knox Cath didn't pull their starters Coach put his starters back in and we scored THREE quick TD's! That idiot saw the writing on the wall and pulled his starters! Thankfully the series was cancelled, (BY THEM), and I know they went at least TWO years and NO CHAMPIONSHIP while Belfry continued to add to their Trophy Case! Case in point, some people can e rude at the expense of kids alcohol or no alcohol but it only brings out the really bad in already bad people and these Tennessee fans are rude either way! Such a shame don't you think guru? I read!!! This goes on to a certain extent everywhere but NOT to these extremes! I think anyone caught drinking should be permanently banned from all high school sporting events! If they want to drink either stay home and do so OR drink at a bar! Drinking at high school or lower events just shows your stupidity!

Have a good one everybody

I remember when St. X and Flaget used to play on a fall Sunday afternoon at the old Fairgrounds stadium. Both fan bases sat on the same side of the stadium - one at one end and the other at the other end - covered almost completely by a roof. Even now I can remember the wave of tobacco smoke and the strong smell of whiskey that was captured there. And this was only an hour or so after getting out of noon mass. I daresay there were some priests there, also enjoying and even adding to the ambience. Things sure have changed.

As a kid I loved those games.

I lived and worked in the Pond Creek area for SEVERAL years until being transferred seven years ago near Knoxville, TN! As a general rule there will be SOME bootlegged alcohol at just about any game or location. The bigger the game the more alcohol. That would take the fun away for me! I have stated on occasion that Tennessee fans are among the rudest I have found anywhere in any sport and at any level. I thought I had the fortune to attend the Belfry, KY vs. Knoxville Catholic game in Knoxville. They were ranked #1 4-A & Belfry was ranked #1 3-A. Catholic was running Belfry off the field and their "So-Called" coach would NOT substitute! He said in a pre-game interview that he was lacking line size that cost him a Championship the year before and recruited from anywhere and everywhere! Coach Haywood had long since pulled his starters and was furious because Knox Cath had not! A senior for Knox Catholic cracked two ribs on a Belfry Freshman and he was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital.The drunk made a statement that he hoped the kid spent the weekend there and the coach made the statement on the post radio show if they didn't want him hurt they shouldn't have had him in the game! We ALL know Coach Haywood's policy on trying to get a running clock and pulling his starters! I was SO HAPPY to learn that mighty Knoxville Catholic lost out in the SECOND ROUND to a local team they had beaten something like 65-8 during the regular season! Their contract called for them to travel to CAM the next year and and Belfry beat them something like 34-20 and Coach Haywood pulled HIS starters! When Knox Cath didn't pull their starters Coach put his starters back in and we scored THREE quick TD's! That idiot saw the writing on the wall and pulled his starters! Thankfully the series was cancelled, (BY THEM), and I know they went at least TWO years and NO CHAMPIONSHIP while Belfry continued to add to their Trophy Case! Case in point, some people can e rude at the expense of kids alcohol or no alcohol but it only brings out the really bad in already bad people and these Tennessee fans are rude either way! Such a shame don't you think guru? I read!!! This goes on to a certain extent everywhere but NOT to these extremes! I think anyone caught drinking should be permanently banned from all high school sporting events! If they want to drink either stay home and do so OR drink at a bar! Drinking at high school or lower events just shows your stupidity!

Have a good one everybody

Coach Haywood is a class asst but that didn't make much sense. If Belfry pulled their starters were they only up 14-0 or something? You said the Coach Haywood put his starters back in and scored 3 quick touchdowns. If they only won by 14 did they get behind with their starters out?

Coach Haywood is a class asst but that didn't make much sense. If Belfry pulled their starters were they only up 14-0 or something? You said the Coach Haywood put his starters back in and scored 3 quick touchdowns. If they only won by 14 did they get behind with their starters out?

No coach in his right mind is pulling starters out with a 14 point lead. Especially if there is time for them to score 3 quick scores. There must be a typo in there.