Will You Let Your Car Insurance Company Spy On You?

B-Ball-fan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you drive to bars? How many times do you go to a bar? Could be a risk customer.

Do you drive over the speed limit? Risk.

Do you drive regularly on roads with statistically more accidents? Risk.

It's whatever way they want to manipulate their data.

Your car was involved in a hit & run yesterday while parked at church?

We have been expecting your call.

I'll be happy to handle your claim. Lets take a look.

Oh, I see that you were going 67mph in a 65mph zone in the past 120 days.

And I see that it was on your way home from BW3, with a diversion downtown where you circled the same block 3 times, followed by a curiously long stop on a street known for hookers. The fuel efficiency dropped significantly. You obviously picked up either multiple or one very large "friend" along the way.

You stopped at a gas station before getting home.

Credit card records indicate that you purchased a twelve pack, 2 bottles of really cheap wine, breath mints, a pack of condoms, and some over the counter male enhancement pills.

Based on your checking account records, we strongly recommend that you start paying cash, and that you google Jerry Springer.

We also recommend that you stop hanging out with softball coaches and umpires.

That mole on your shoulder should probably be checked. We'll let your health insurance company know so they can follow up with you.

Hold on while the computer processes your claim.

-short pause-

Your policy has been retroactively terminated on that date.

But good news. While you were waiting, our monitoring device scanned that mole. It's not cancerous.

Premium refund?

Sorry, there is a no-refund clause on policies retroactively terminated for cause. You would have read that on page 936 of your policy.

What did I violate?

You bought the wrong breath mints

Don't need to be a conspiracy theorist to exercise common sense. And if you think they're doing it to help you, you've been duped.

I'll ask the same question again... If my premium was lowered, how are they not helping me? Don't give me some vague answer like "they'll use it against you in the future." Exactly how are they duping me by lowering my rates?

I'll ask the same question again... If my premium was lowered, how are they not helping me? Don't give me some vague answer like "they'll use it against you in the future." Exactly how are they duping me by lowering my rates?

Like Guru tried to explain to you, it's about the long game and you will see the increase down the road. They want this to be the norm, mandatory. So if you drive in an area where you have to drive defensively, you'll end up paying for it. They'll get the money back out of you. They're not your friend, they're big business looking to get the most they can out of you in the long run and they will. Sooner or later, the program you enrolled in will be used against you. It's not vague, it's reality.

Like Guru tried to explain to you, it's about the long game and you will see the increase down the road. They want this to be the norm, mandatory. So if you drive in an area where you have to drive defensively, you'll end up paying for it. They'll get the money back out of you. They're not your friend, they're big business looking to get the most they can out of you in the long run and they will. Sooner or later, the program you enrolled in will be used against you. It's not vague, it's reality.

What proof/facts do you all have to support this?

Same proof/facts you have to tell me I'm wrong. Research it, people have had an increase because of things I've described.

The proof I have is that I participated in such a program and the only thing that has happened is my rate going down. RM had the same thing happen, even with multiple claims.

If you are a good driver, enroll in SnapShot and understand what they are looking for (I'll only speak for that one since it's the one I used), your rates will go down. Fact. Not because I just think so, because I've seen it with my own two eyes. I've read the same things you have even before I enrolled. The people that experienced increases don't drive as well as they should. It's really that simple.

The proof I have is that I participated in such a program and the only thing that has happened is my rate going down. RM had the same thing happen, even with multiple claims.

If you are a good driver, enroll in SnapShot and understand what they are looking for (I'll only speak for that one since it's the one I used), your rates will go down. Fact. Not because I just think so, because I've seen it with my own two eyes. I've read the same things you have even before I enrolled. The people that experienced increases don't drive as well as they should. It's really that simple.

I don't have experience with SnapShot but I do have experience with State Farm and the Drive Safe and Save Program has lowered the rates of everyone I know enrolled in it. Only thing you as the client have to do is periodically take a photo of your odometer to make sure it is working correctly. The only way your rate goes up in the DSS program is if you stop using it. All of this information is already available to insurance companies if you've ever taken your car in to get an oil change, maintenance, etc.

Then you didn't read what I did. Those people drove as good as you claimed you did, their rates went up.

Your insurance company doesn't need an app or program to show if you're a good driver, your driving record will show that. Its that obvious and that simple. Think what you want, you'll pay in the end.

Then you didn't read what I did. Those people drove as good as you claimed you did, their rates went up.

Your insurance company doesn't need an app or program to show if you're a good driver, your driving record will show that. Its that obvious and that simple. Think what you want, you'll pay in the end.

You are taking the word of people who clearly didn't read the fine print if they are upset about their rates going up.

The device I used would beep at me if I had what it considered a "hard brake." So, I adjusted my driving to prevent that from happening. The result? A lower rate.

Think what you want, all insurance companies aren't out to get you.