Will You Let Your Car Insurance Company Spy On You?

B-Ball-fan

You are taking the word of people who clearly didn't read the fine print if they are upset about their rates going up.

The device I used would beep at me if I had what it considered a "hard brake." So, I adjusted my driving to prevent that from happening. The result? A lower rate.

Think what you want, all insurance companies aren't out to get you.

That would drive me up a wall. :lol2:

There's something liberating about getting behind the wheel on an open road. Springsteen never wrote a song about the insurance company nagging him down the turnpike. :lol2:

At any rate I would bet a decent amount these things are part of a mass data collection experiment by the insurance companies. They'll probably roll the data into their risk models and adjust premiums accordingly (e.g. people in demographic Y drive X% faster than average, etc.). That or they'll eventually become nearly mandatory.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would drive me up a wall. :lol2:

There's something liberating about getting behind the wheel on an open road. Springsteen never wrote a song about the insurance company nagging him down the turnpike. :lol2:

At any rate I would bet a decent amount these things are part of a mass data collection experiment by the insurance companies. They'll probably roll the data into their risk models and adjust premiums accordingly (e.g. people in demographic Y drive X% faster than average, etc.). That or they'll eventually become nearly mandatory.

I only had to change how I was braking. I still sped. :lol2:

You are taking the word of people who clearly didn't read the fine print if they are upset about their rates going up.

The device I used would beep at me if I had what it considered a "hard brake." So, I adjusted my driving to prevent that from happening. The result? A lower rate.

Think what you want, all insurance companies aren't out to get you.

How would you know if they read the fine print or not? I never claimed they were out to get me, I said they're not doing this to be your buddy. I said they'll eventually use in their favor, likely against you. Its what they do. I wasn't aware that my difference of opinion on the use of insurance companies obvious data collection on you and others was going to make you so butt hurt. :lol2:

Better slow down, big business is watching you. :lol2: :D

We have personal alarms where I work. The idea is that if you get into trouble (and I work where there is a lot of trouble) that you push the button and every computer in the building flashes your exact location and your name. I actually love this because it works well.

The problem is that after we got this great saftey device, some employees looked into it further and found out that these safety badges also had the capability to record audio conversations and track where you are at all times. Management says they did not purchase this service and cannot do it, but it does lend to some legit paranoia.