Have You Met Reds' Players Who Were Complete Jackwagons? Let's Hear it .

The reason I list Danny Jackson is simple. First game I ever took my son to, we got there just as Reds' BP was ending. Cheapest of the blue seats, right-field corner. Danny is gathering baseballs in a bucket and about to head in. He was within hearing range, so I told him it was my son's first game and asked if he could have a ball. Kinda like one of those Mean Joe Greene "hey kid" moments - tossed one right to him.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I list Danny Jackson is simple. First game I ever took my son to, we got there just as Reds' BP was ending. Cheapest of the blue seats, right-field corner. Danny is gathering baseballs in a bucket and about to head in. He was within hearing range, so I told him it was my son's first game and asked if he could have a ball. Kinda like one of those Mean Joe Greene "hey kid" moments - tossed one right to him.

I remember hearing that story. Love it !!! ... An experience a kid never forgets!!!!

Tony Gwynn did that for my youngest.

Anyone ever have any interaction with Dave Parker?

Also, Jeff Brantley??? I think he would be a butt.

Summer of '86 I got a call from one of my dad's friends who said he had an acquaintance that needed someone to cut his grass. I asked where was the residence located, and when he said Amberley Village I know it was going to be a "cash cow". Then he tells me you might have heard of him......Dave Parker of the Reds.

Only got to speak with him 3 or 4 times that summer, but super nice guy. Got to view his mini hall of fame in his house, MVP trophy, Silver Slugger awards, etc. Best part was when I noticed a blown up framed picture of the 1979 SI Baseball Issue, I had to tell him Jim Rice was my favorite player. :lol2:

Ron Oester was one of the nicest guys I ever met.

Saw Ron O get tossed from an 8th grade Girls basketball game he was coaching in and the ref would not continue the game until he left the gym completely. Except Ron could not find his way out as the gym was about half the size of a normal small grade school gym.

Summer of '86 I got a call from one of my dad's friends who said he had an acquaintance that needed someone to cut his grass. I asked where was the residence located, and when he said Amberley Village I know it was going to be a "cash cow". Then he tells me you might have heard of him......Dave Parker of the Reds.

Only got to speak with him 3 or 4 times that summer, but super nice guy. Got to view his mini hall of fame in his house, MVP trophy, Silver Slugger awards, etc. Best part was when I noticed a blown up framed picture of the 1979 SI Baseball Issue, I had to tell him Jim Rice was my favorite player. :lol2:

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Used to deliver to David Weathers when he played for the Reds, dude was as humble as they come.

Side story.....the condo complex he lived at I was good friends with one of the girls that managed the property......she pulls out one of his pay check stubs that they had on file for the lease.....this was in '05 or '06, (they get paid on the 1st and 15th of every month from April thru September) ..........after taxes the check was for $49,000 and change. :wideyed:

Could you imagine going to the bank and cashing a check for that much. :lol2:

Used to deliver to David Weathers when he played for the Reds, dude was as humble as they come.

Side story.....the condo complex he lived at I was good friends with one of the girls that managed the property......she pulls out one of his pay check stubs that they had on file for the lease.....this was in '05 or '06, (they get paid on the 1st and 15th of every month from April thru September) ..........after taxes the check was for $49,000 and change. :wideyed:

Could you imagine going to the bank and cashing a check for that much. :lol2:

I definitely would have been surprised had Weathers not been as cool a dude as could be.

Paul O'Neill, Todd Benzinger, Leo Cardenas all did card shows for me and we're just super. Had O'Neil's home phone number for the longest time but never called. Met Barry Larkin (Super Nice to my son), Brooks Lawrence, Johnny Bench, Tom Seaver, Tony Perez, Eric Davis and Kurt Stillwell. All friendly.

Biggest butt head by far, Chris Sabo.

My dad had a few interactions with Tom Browning. He had his phone number for a while. Said he was super nice to him whenever he talked to him.

I personally met Billy Hamilton and Jay Bruce at Brothers a couple years ago. They came out for college night on Thursday. Got a picture with them probably only because of the attractive girls I was with.

Two players that I remember that snubbed me when I asked them for an autograph/picture was Eric Davis at Reds fest in like 2008 or 2009, wore a white fur coat and was just standing there and I went up and asked for a picture and he denied me. The other was Bruce Chen when he had his short stint with the reds. My dad and I would also go to where the players came out of the locker room I think at old Cinergy Field under the stadium. I yelled to him to sign my baseball card since it was the team set giveaway and he completely ignored me and went on.

Another one I just though of was two years ago, my wife's step dad has season Reds tickets and asked if we wanted to go to a "Get a Picture With the Reds Players Day" When you line up on the warning track and Reds players walk by and you get selfies with them. Todd Frazier was awesome but Joey Votto and a few others were dumb and just walked along in the grass not looking at anybody just to say he was there. To me if your the face of the franchise be personable with the fans, especially the season ticket holders.

Another one I just though of was two years ago, my wife's step dad has season Reds tickets and asked if we wanted to go to a "Get a Picture With the Reds Players Day" When you line up on the warning track and Reds players walk by and you get selfies with them. Todd Frazier was awesome but Joey Votto and a few others were dumb and just walked along in the grass not looking at anybody just to say he was there. To me if your the face of the franchise be personable with the fans, especially the season ticket holders.

I met Votto back in 2011 at Redsfest and he was super nice.

Buddy of mine ran into him a couple times walking his dog in the mornings and said he was always friendly and that Votto would always play with the dog for a few minutes before going on his way.

Guess it just depends on the situation/day. :idunno:

I worked for the Reds in 03 and 04. Ken Griffey Jr always had a smile on his face and laughed like crazy. One of the grounds crew guys had hair like TJ Houshmanzadeh and Ken Griffey Jr used to give him a hard time over it. One day Griffey offered the guy 12,000 dollars to let him shave his head. The kid of course agreed, Griffey shaved his head, then gave him 12 1,000 dollar bills.

Believe it or not Albert Pujols was also a very nice guy. Kind of a joker.

The few times I was around Barry Larkin, he was not rude, but not a happy go lucky guy.

The biggest jerk would have been Randy Johnson.