Dunkirk

I watch all of Christopher Nolan's movies, but this one doesn't hold any appeal to me at all.

Me neither, had several people told me the movie was confusing at times and very disappointing and they are fans of about every War movie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rotten Tomatoes has Dunkirk at 93% on its Tomatometer and 83% on its Audience Meter. And proclaims it Oscar worthy.

So I may change my mind and try to see it in a theater ASAP. I was going to wait for the DVD.

Wait for DVD. Love war movies, and that triples for WWII and then doubles for anything involving Nazis related

Just wait.

I saw Dunkirk twice in the theater. After my first viewing, I gave it a 5 out of 5 rating. I watched it a 2nd time because the dialogue was so hard to hear/understand. I figured watching it a 2nd time would help but it didn't. After watching it a 2nd time, I've downgraded my initial review to 3 out of 5 stars. I would've liked to have seen the bigger picture versus 3 individual stories.

The press on this thing is hilarious!

This particular one:

"Dunkirk felt like an excuse for men to celebrate maleness — which apparently they don't get to do enough," Marie Claire's Mehera Bonner wrote in her review.

Bonner added that while she does not need all movies to feature "strong female leads," "Dunkirk" "screams 'men-only'" and Nolan should have made a movie about either women or "any other marginalized group."

If it had been a movie about "maleness", they would have re-written it so that it wasn't a movie about getting your butt kicked and retreating.

The press on this thing is hilarious!

This particular one:

"Dunkirk felt like an excuse for men to celebrate maleness — which apparently they don't get to do enough," Marie Claire's Mehera Bonner wrote in her review.

Bonner added that while she does not need all movies to feature "strong female leads," "Dunkirk" "screams 'men-only'" and Nolan should have made a movie about either women or "any other marginalized group."

If it had been a movie about "maleness", they would have re-written it so that it wasn't a movie about getting your butt kicked and retreating.

I guess Nolan could have rewritten history.

Finally saw it and thought it was fantastic. I lowered my expectations after reading some of the reviews in here but now I wonder if I saw the same movie.

It's essentially one long, tense scene and the sense of claustrophobia is palpable. I thought that was pretty impressive considering the outcome of the retreat is obviously well known.

I also thought the flight scenes were beautifully shot.

It's definitely a bleak, almost depressing movie but the ending was a jolt of optimism and I was glad to have seen it.

I just got out of the movie. Saw it in IMAX. I thought it was excellent.

I've been a little confused from the get-go by the comparisons being drawn to Saving Private Ryan. Saving Private Ryan is about the D-Day invasion and the battles and following to complete the initial tasks set out for the invasion. This movie from the get-go has been billed as a movie about the Dunkirk evacuation...not the Battle of Dunkirk. I didn't ever have the expectation that Dunkirk was that kind of movie, and I would have particularly thought that the PG-13 rating would have alluded to that.

The movie was well shot, suspenseful, and by all reports extraordinarily true to history. Maybe some more folks need to familiarize themselves with the Dunkirk evacuation and the premise of the movie before going to see the movie.

I just got out of the movie. Saw it in IMAX. I thought it was excellent.

I've been a little confused from the get-go by the comparisons being drawn to Saving Private Ryan. Saving Private Ryan is about the D-Day invasion and the battles and following to complete the initial tasks set out for the invasion. This movie from the get-go has been billed as a movie about the Dunkirk evacuation...not the Battle of Dunkirk. I didn't ever have the expectation that Dunkirk was that kind of movie, and I would have particularly thought that the PG-13 rating would have alluded to that.

The movie was well shot, suspenseful, and by all reports extraordinarily true to history. Maybe some more folks need to familiarize themselves with the Dunkirk evacuation and the premise of the movie before going to see the movie.

I haven't seen it yet but it has been confusing reading some of the reviews on here and some on Rotten Tomatoes, where it has a 93% positive rating and some reviewers calling it a "masterpiece ".

I think some of the mixed reviews have to do with what you say in your post. It's not a a war movie in the classic war movie sense, such as Private Ryan, Hacksaw Ridge, The Longest Day, etc. My neighbor was all excited about going to Richmond and seeing it the day it came out, wanted me to go with him but I couldn't make it. When he came back later and I called him for a report he wasn't too enthusiastic. Said it wasn't what he expected and wish he had waited for the dvd. But he was probably expecting a shoot-em-up loud war movie and this one is a evacuation/rescue movie.

Maybe some more folks need to familiarize themselves with the Dunkirk evacuation and the premise of the movie before going to see the movie.

This is also an interesting part about the movie. There's essentially no plot building or table setting, besides a brief allusion to Churchill's plan. It's just assumed the viewer already knows the circumstances going in.

Finally got to see it in Richmond today. Really enjoyed it.

The ending is well known and it's all good. But it is depressing seeing what those men had to endure to get back to England and safety. Also, the courage of the citizens of England who risked their lives in their small vessels to help get the soldiers to safety.

It wouldn't surprise me the least to see this movie nominated for several Oscars, including Best Picture.