While millions visit the Ark, Grant County is sinking fast trying to avoid bankruptcy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so sure, the Speedway isnt doing well, not enough events. Long term the ARK may be the better attraction. Time will tell.

You say that and all, but even with limited events, Gallatin Co. has been booming ever since the Speedway planted there. And you've been the biggest trumpeter about how Grant Co. is seeing zero benefit from The Ark.

You say that and all, but even with limited events, Gallatin Co. has been booming ever since the Speedway planted there. And you've been the biggest trumpeter about how Grant Co. is seeing zero benefit from The Ark.

That's not true at all. Ive stated many times Dry Ridge is booming from the ARK and what it has brought in. I've bashed Williamstown for their inability to have a clue and sit and do nothing, and yes Grant County's county leadership is in large part to blame for some of that. The benefit of the ARK is there, I see it every day, Williamstown is just to stupid to do anything to reap the benefits.

Didn't the Ark recently try to transfer ownership of the Ark to a nonprofit they own I order to bypass those tax dollars going to Williamstown? I believe the state of KY rescinded tax credits as a result which made Ken Hamm rescind the sale. Very sneaky of him to try to change the rules of engagement and stick it to the city.

Between the Creation Museum and the Ark Encounter, I know about 10 contractors who have worked for Ken Hamm. The words "cheat" and "swindler" are very frequently used in conversation when they talk about working for him.

Between the Creation Museum and the Ark Encounter, I know about 10 contractors who have worked for Ken Hamm. The words "cheat" and "swindler" are very frequently used in conversation when they talk about working for him.

I wont disagree with this statement.

He is a businessman after all. I can't really blame him for trying to skirt taxes. I try every year, unsuccessfully.

Are "millions" really flocking to see the Arc? They do a steady business from what i can gather...but millions?

I also have the feeling this is going to be a "sinking" attraction after a few years. Kind of like an old amusement park some eccentric guy builds in some out of the way place, it stays popular enough for a few years, then business dries up to a trickle and the park closes only to become one of those creepy abandoned places people travel to and post on YouTube. Search YouTube for those, several of them out there.

Are "millions" really flocking to see the Arc? They do a steady business from what i can gather...but millions?

I also have the feeling this is going to be a "sinking" attraction after a few years. Kind of like an old amusement park some eccentric guy builds in some out of the way place, it stays popular enough for a few years, then business dries up to a trickle and the park closes only to become one of those creepy abandoned places people travel to and post on YouTube. Search YouTube for those, several of them out there.

I know they have had over a million visitors.

I build for businessmen every day of the week, and 99% of the time I walk away without feeling like they're trying to cheat me out of money.

He's trying to cheat the city/state out of money, not the contract holders. Or that's my interpretation.

Here's what I think I know in layman's terms, but I'm willing to listen to someone with a better understanding:

The sale of the land was to avoid paying a tax ($0.50/ticket) for using the city's emergency services. The state decided this was grounds for taking back the Ark's $18M tax rebate, so Ham transferred the land back to himself(?) as a for-profit organization and got back his rebate.

I'm all for sticking it to the man, but it's unfortunate when you are the man.

1/4 mile off I75, halfway between two large-for-the-region cities doesn't seem all that far out of the way.

1/4 mile off I75, halfway between two large-for-the-region cities doesn't seem all that far out of the way.

Wasn't really saying the Ark is necessarily out of the way, but I think it will die a similar death to those odd out of the way attractions.

Wasn't really saying the Ark is necessarily out of the way, but I think it will die a similar death to those odd out of the way attractions.

I see, and I agree. Too niche to succeed.

I dont know, with continued additions to the ARK property of other attractions maybe not. They are expanding the zoo, have plans for a concert venue, more rides and kid attractions. Time will tell.