KHSAA Board of Control addresses Championship sites for Football, Girls Hoops, Dance

What a joke. "More geographically centered?" BG and Lex are equally centered in KY. I also can't happen but to laugh at how snide the implied stability at UK will be. Basically admitting there is a zero chance UK is ever going to have the SEC CCG. We all knew this, but still funny to think about.

The SEC CCG is played in Atlanta and has been since 1992, so you are correct. UK will never host the SEC Championship Game.

What a joke. "More geographically centered?" BG and Lex are equally centered in KY. I also can't happen but to laugh at how snide the implied stability at UK will be. Basically admitting there is a zero chance UK is ever going to have the SEC CCG. We all knew this, but still funny to think about.

UK was, indeed, the most central location last year. It was the shortest drive, and by a decent margin.

And, UK has hosted the SEC CCG game the same number of times as the rest of the conference combined!

So Softball and Baseball start later. But I assume the number of games didn't change so will this lead to teams playing more tourneys or triads during the weekends to get games in?

Also...I thought there was talk of tennis being moved to a fall sport, but it doesn't look like that was addressed.

So Softball and Baseball start later. But I assume the number of games didn't change so will this lead to teams playing more tourneys or triads during the weekends to get games in?

Baseball and softball are going back to when they used to begin the season. Speaking as a former player (late-1990s), we always started games the Monday after the state tournament, but were allowed to play 35 games in the regular season. That will be what happens with the updated schedule change.

True. Will that begin this upcoming season or in 2018? I think more will talk about it once they see which districts are matched against each other.

KHSAA release said 2017 and 2018 brackets due back from commissioner in July to the board. Would make sense that it starts this season. Next realignment in 2 seasons. That would allow them to play both others districts in the region before then.

As far at the geographically centered comments and concerns, I believe my numbers are pretty accurate.

STATE FINALS AVERAGE DISTANCE TRAVELED

WKU: 146 miles (1 school)

UK: 96 miles (1 school)

UofL: 103 miles (3 schools)

WKU: 160 miles (2 schools)

UK: 110 miles (2 schools)

UofL: 131 miles (1 school)

WKU: 161 miles (0 schools)

UK: 130 miles (0 schools)

UofL: 117 miles (3 schools)

WKU: 146 miles (1 school)

UK: 109 miles (0 schools)

UofL: 116 miles (1 school)

A point: If a school was in the same town as the finals location, I gave them a mileage of 0. I know there's a difference between traveling across Bowling Green compared to Louisville, but that was an easy way and the difference was very minimal. +/- a few miles didn't make a difference in any of these.

Clearly, WKU isn't the more central choice. Heck, even with Graves and Mayfield making the finals, and that being a HUGE drive to Lexington, WKU was still 3rd in 2014.

The driving distance winner is UK, plain and simple.

EDIT: Adding in the Graves and Mayfield trips ends up hurting WKU a bit more than UK. But even if you factor in 2014 to UK, WKU had 2 teams in town in 2015 and that was still a further drive than UK would have been in 2014. WKU can't be spun as the better geographic choice in any realistic way.

Edited by thehotsnakes

I think the biggest thing ( and no one is talking about it) is the cross bracketing in football.

I'm with you. The implications of this are huge and I can't believe this isn't receiving more discussion. Sure, WKY vs UK as host is a big deal, but I'm far more concerned with how this cross-bracket thing will look. Is there a chance that teams due home field advantage throughout the playoffs this season might lose out on said advantage?

I found the institution of the international rule in extra-inning SB games that go into inning 10 to be very interesting.

Why not sooner? The international rule applies in the 8th inning and is has been adopted as is by the NCAA.

I don't think it is geographically centered, but that is just my opinion. Also, even if UK makes the SEC Championship Game it is played in a big indoor stadium at a neutral location like Atlanta or Jacksonville or something like that so the facility would not be needed