NIE: Invasion of Iraq Increased Terrorist Threat for US, World.

02Ram54

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you agree that starting a war in Iraq had little hope of actually reducing the threat of terrorism?

The implication of the article is that threat of terrorist activity has increased. I would like proof of that other that what someone thinks. It is my observation that their hasn't been a terrorist attack on our soil since and I'm not convienced that would be the case if we weren't in their backyard.

Do I think it has reduced terrorism? I have no idea nor do I have anyway to support any arguement I make. I think the same can be said about the supposed increase in terror. There is absolutely no proof of the claim. I don't feel that terrorism will ever go away but articles like this do more to stoke their fires than anything.

I will say this I still remember how I felt on 9/11 and the days that followed. I felt then that whatever was necessary to stop this from happening again needed to be done. Maybe the war was a bad idea, maybe not it is simply and arguement that can't be won.

The implication of the article is that threat of terrorist activity has increased. I would like proof of that other that what someone thinks. It is my observation that their hasn't been a terrorist attack on our soil since and I'm not convienced that would be the case if we weren't in their backyard.

Do I think it has reduced terrorism? I have no idea nor do I have anyway to support any arguement I make. I think the same can be said about the supposed increase in terror. There is absolutely no proof of the claim. I don't feel that terrorism will ever go away but articles like this do more to stoke their fires than anything.

I will say this I still remember how I felt on 9/11 and the days that followed. I felt then that whatever was necessary to stop this from happening again needed to be done. Maybe the war was a bad idea, maybe not it is simply and arguement that can't be won.

Not to mention - whining, and no solutions from the liberals...

While I disagree with the invasion of Iraq, to say that it increased the terrorist threat to the U.S. is just ludicrous. We just shortened the drive for the terrorists.

December 1992 - al-Qaeda carries out three bombings at hotels where American troops were staying in Yemen

February 1993 - al-Qaeda attempts and fails to blow up the World Trade Center

1993 - a plot to blow up airplanes over the Pacific is uncovered

November 1995 - A U.S. military facility in Riyadh is bombed

June 1996 - Khobar Towers bombed, killing American military

August 1998 - American Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania are bombed

December 1999 - al-Qaeda plan to kill Jewish and American tourists visiting Jordan and plan to bomb Los Angelos airport and the USS The Sullivans

And this is just a selection of the list.

October 2000 - USS Cole bombed

Terror attacks around the world have been going up for the past few years. It's been a couple years now, but there was a report that show terror attacks around the world at its highest point, and at the time Iraq was not figured in. That report was quickly stopped. This is something I found that came out a while back.

In a report to be released next week, US government figures will show that the number of terrorist attacks in the world jumped sharply in 2005, totalling more than 10,000 for the first time. That is almost triple the number of terrorist attacks in 2004 -- 3,194. Knight Ridder's Washington bureau reports that counterterrorism experts say that there are two reasons for the dramatic increase: a broader definition of what consitutes a terrorist attack, and the war in Iraq.

More than half the fatalities from terrorism worldwide last year occurred in Iraq, said a counterterrorism official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the data haven't been made public. Roughly 85 percent of the US citizens who died from terrorism during the year died in Iraq. The figures cover only noncombatants and thus don't include combat deaths of US, Iraqi and other coalition soldiers.

"There's no question that the level of terrorist attacks in Iraq was up substantially," said the official, who's familiar with the methods used by the National Counterterrorism Center to track terrorist trends. The center is part of the US intelligence community.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0421/dailyUpdate.html

Terror attacks around the world have been going up for the past few years. It's been a couple years now, but there was a report that show terror attacks around the world at its highest point, and at the time Iraq was not figured in. That report was quickly stopped. This is something I found that came out a while back.

But what no one seems to be saying is that terror attacks are up all over the world, and almost entirely at the hands of Muslims. They are not just attacking Americans, they're attacking everyone who is not Muslim.

Absolutely, let's do that.

Of course, while we wait, we'll just have to ignore what the rest of the world, the presidential historians, and all the polls are telling us. It would be terribly inconvenient to have to face the truth during the interim.

Frances

So the polls, presidential historians and the rest of the world are,... as you put it "the truth" huh,... well gosh guess I'm a bit behind, I've been forming my own opinion on things for years now...

An incredible irony is that President Bush is using the specter of Osama bin Laden still being on the loose to scare people into voting for Republicans during this mid-term election. And why is he still on the loose?

Because we focused on Iraq instead of getting bin Laden. And now he is scary again. BOO!

Perhaps so,.. but he had a different president back then...

While I disagree with the invasion of Iraq, to say that it increased the terrorist threat to the U.S. is just ludicrous. We just shortened the drive for the terrorists.
I don't think the conclusion of this report has anything to do with immediate threats.

Rather, I think, it has to do with the creation of Terrorist University in Iraq. We're creating the next round of Islamic Jihad leadership there just in time to replace Al-Qaeda's tree as its dying of old age, and driving up their recruitment worldwide.

Certain people on this board can stick with the 'better fighting them there than here' rhetoric, but it's just not factual. Islamic Jihad is spreading across the globe, and instead of winning the hearts and minds of the Muslim public, we're pouring gas on the fire and setting up industrial fans. We're creating more terrorists, and we're giving their leadership on the job experience.

You make an excellent point. I would like some proof that terrorist activity is higher because of the Iraq war. I guess we are to believe that the terrorist would have left us alone if we had just left them alone. You can say the war was a bad idea and make a valid arguement but this is a reach.

Did the writer of this article actually see this report or are they strictly go on the word of anonimous sources? I ask in sincerity becasue I refuse to sign up for the NYT.

The terrorist and the States that sponsor them will not stop as long as Isreal exist and we will always be a target because of are support of Isreal. Iraq or no Iraq. Terrorism was here before Iraq and will go on until the Lord returns, mark it down.

Come on now you know that they consider insurgents and violence they're a part of to be a terrorist act,... even if it's against their own people or a soldier..... "This just in some guy shot a guy over a woman in Covington,.. they're calling it a possible terrorist act",... what a joke...