Baseball signs/signals

Just Jim

Maybe I am in the minority on this, but wondering what others think. IMO a High School catcher should be able to call 85-90% on his own and not require the coach to tell him what to call. At a recent JV game it was so annoying to me to have to wait for the Boone County coach to look at his paper, think and then call out a number, catcher look at his wristband, and then signal for EVERY pitch. This slowed the game down even more. A catcher should know what to call on the first pitch to the first batter of the fifth inning when the guy steps to the plate for the third time in the game. At least IMO. Thoughts?
I bet the batter never saw the same sequence of pitches the whole game . It is early season , I'm sure the system will get quicker as the season goes along . One positive, You witnessed one of the best/ smartest pitch callers in NKY .

Wristbands with numbers are more efficient and nearly iimpossible to pick up on. So why not use them?

There is no reason not to. The excuses that it slows the game down, or is no good because it's not "old school" are just rubbish. Baseball traditionalists trying to hold on to the good old days are one of the reasons why the sport isn't growing.

There is no reason not to. The excuses that it slows the game down, or is no good because it's not "old school" are just rubbish. Baseball traditionalists trying to hold on to the good old days are one of the reasons why the sport isn't growing.

Watching a coach go through a bunch of signs 3 times still takes longer than waiting on him to call numbers. That's for sure.

It's creeping into little league as well. I've called behind some catchers that have the "qb" play list on their arm. Coaches calls the numbers.

What pitches do little league kids need called for them? If they are throwing anything more than Fastball or a change up shame on that coach

Maybe I am in the minority on this, but wondering what others think. IMO a High School catcher should be able to call 85-90% on his own and not require the coach to tell him what to call. At a recent JV game it was so annoying to me to have to wait for the Boone County coach to look at his paper, think and then call out a number, catcher look at his wristband, and then signal for EVERY pitch. This slowed the game down even more. A catcher should know what to call on the first pitch to the first batter of the fifth inning when the guy steps to the plate for the third time in the game. At least IMO. Thoughts?

Should but don't know. Baseball IQ in today's youth is lackluster at best. As for the JV game, I call bologna. Even when using the number system I have never seen a catcher that hasn't been waiting on the batter to step into the box to grove the sign to the catcher

What pitches do little league kids need called for them? If they are throwing anything more than Fastball or a change up shame on that coach

I get what your saying but not for me to judge. Also for some it's just inside, outside, up, down, step off, throw over, etc..

Fastball/Change and location. Then start mixing in curves around 12-13 years old. No reason a kid can't through 10-12 curveballs a game..2-3 per inning.