Flashing lights!

Last night( around 1230 this morning) our son was hit by a car while working an accident scene. He is a tow truck driver who was dispatched to a wreck on 275 at the AA junction. It was snowing, road got slick.The truck he went to get was over the gaurdrail, so he called his boss to bring the wrecker to recover it as he was driving a rollback. He was standing in the median talking with another driver who had just spun into the median. There were other cars that had wrecked on both sides of the road. Police cars were present with lights on, lights on the rollback, even an ambulance. Car came along lost control, hit a truck on the road way, then hit him and the driver of the vehicle he was talking to. Both taken to UC hospital. Worse phone call you have ever gotten when your told; your son has been hit by a car on 275 and aircare had been called in. Thankfully withing minutes of getting to UC, we found out he had no life threatening injuries. Appeared to be such for the other guy hit. Our son has broken pelvic bone, fractured ribs, and numerous cuts and bruises from head to toe. But he will be ok. Gonna be a long road to recovery but all in all not bad considering he was thrown quite a distance after being struck. The other guy will be ok too. Driver not seriously injured that I'm aware of. Driver going to fast for conditions and not paying any attention to the cars and trucks ahead.

What I'm trying to say to everyone is this:

When you see flashing lights, whether they are blue, red, yellow orange or any other color, SLOW DOWN, STAY AWAY FROM THEM, MOVE OVER WHEN YOUR ON THE HIGHWAY. this applies to all vehicles with flashing lights! Those lights are not a Target! Plow trucks, tow trucks, garbage trucks, police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, anything with a flashing light on it is a warning that you need to use caution! So many accidents happen every day because of ignorant drivers who don't slow down. Or don't move over a lane and run right into people or vehicles. My son is lucky to be with us today, many do not survive such accidents. Please spread this awareness to everyone, maybe we can avoid a few of these instances.

Thanks. But everyone can thank us, and him, along with every other person out there who deals with traffic situations by passing the word along. Help educate those you know about flashing lights. I have been out there myself many times and been way to close to cars going 65+ mph . Most of the time it could be avoided if people would just move over a lane, when that's not possible just slow down. This is a law in other states with steep fines. And when weather is a factor, the danger is much worse. I have been preaching this for 20 years especially every time I heard about an accident like this. Always prayed it wouldn't be my son, but prayers don't stop dumb drivers.

I am happy to hear your son will be ok. That is very scary.

Regarding drivers...I have found that people just don't care...many won't slow down for any reason...or they will barely slow down. There is no mystery why so many people are killed on our roads- horrible, aggressive, competitive, and just plain stupid drivers.

Thanks. But everyone can thank us, and him, along with every other person out there who deals with traffic situations by passing the word along. Help educate those you know about flashing lights. I have been out there myself many times and been way to close to cars going 65+ mph . Most of the time it could be avoided if people would just move over a lane, when that's not possible just slow down. This is a law in other states with steep fines. And when weather is a factor, the danger is much worse. I have been preaching this for 20 years especially every time I heard about an accident like this. Always prayed it wouldn't be my son, but prayers don't stop dumb drivers.

Every state as of 2012. In KY it's the "Move Over Kentucky" law, with a fine of up to $500. Seems like a small number for such ramifications.

Glad your son will recover.

I'm glad your son is okay.

I'd like to add the flashing Orange and Red lights of a school bus when they are loading and unloading children.

Way to many times I have had a vehicle pass me while I am stopped and the Red lights are flashing and the Stop sign is out.

I'd like to add the flashing Orange and Red lights of a school bus when they are loading and unloading children.

Way to many times I have had a vehicle pass me while I am stopped and the Red lights are flashing and the Stop sign is out.

I saw something I'd never seen before yesterday...the bus pulled to the center of the street before stopping, that way no car could pass it from the front or from behind while the kids exited. I know every location that wouldn't work, but on the street he did it on it was a perfect solution for anyone that tries to run the bus's stop sign.

I saw something I'd never seen before yesterday...the bus pulled to the center of the street before stopping, that way no car could pass it from the front or from behind while the kids exited. I know every location that wouldn't work, but on the street he did it on it was a perfect solution for anyone that tries to run the bus's stop sign.
I do that when I can.

Followed a school bus on Gilbert Ave in Cincy on Tuesday. He was in the curb lane, I in the passing. So I stopped when the sign and flashers came out, which, of course, you have to. People were beeping at me like crazy. I just don't get what could be so important to want to endanger children.

Every state as of 2012. In KY it's the "Move Over Kentucky" law, with a fine of up to $500. Seems like a small number for such ramifications.

Glad your son will recover.

I worded my sentence wrong. I meant that other states have a lot stiffer penalties for not moving over or slowing down. Thanks for letting everyone know that it had been a law since 2012, most do not know I'm sure. Even though it should be common sense and common courtesy.