Black & Decker to Open New Factory in the USA

Well there was that whole Jobs Bill thing that President Obama proposed, but don't worry, the Republicans managed to shoot that down.

If you'll recall, President Obama stood in front of the Brent Spence Bridge in Cincinnati and gave a speech on how his Jobs Bill would replace the bridge. Who was leading the charge to prevent that? Well none other than Republicans Mitch McConnell and Speaker Of The House John Boehner...whose constituents that bridge directly serves.

Why was it shot down?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not even a Trump supporter till he was the only one left. The hypocrisy of some of the posters on here has pushed me to be. I dont like his mannerisms, I dont like his braggart style. But I like all those things more than hypocrites.

No hypocrisy from me. I've been consistent and fair on my stances without taking potshots at those I disagree with with (although that statement is probably a bit of a potshot).

No hypocrisy from me. I've been consistent and fair on my stances without taking potshots at those I disagree with with (although that statement is probably a bit of a potshot).

No you are right. I agree you have been pretty even. This was not directed at you. You generally state what you think and are not veiled in your statements. Some are not like that though. I respect your posts for that.

Why was it shot down?

Because Boehner and McConnell vowed to block everything coming from President Obama's desk.

And let's not act like Trump's proposed incentives (or more accurately - threats)to move jobs back to the US - or more accurately, punishments for not moving jobs back to the US, wasn't an idea that had come straight from the Obama administration.

GOP senators block top Obama jobs initiative - CNNPolitics.com

Senate Republicans on Thursday blocked the No.1 item on the president's congressional "to-do-list," refusing to allow a vote on a bill that would give tax breaks for companies that "insource" jobs to the U.S. from overseas while eliminating tax deductions for companies that move jobs abroad.

So what is the CEO's attitude here?

Is it "Well, I guess we're stuck opening a factory in the United States because it's looking like our President elect may punish us for not doing so, plus he's likely to really mess up relations with Mexico and China as well."?

Or is it "Yay! It's more profitable for us to open a factory in the United States!"?

To play devil's advocate, does it matter? Either way the jobs, factory and company stay in the states.

Because Boehner and McConnell vowed to block everything coming from President Obama's desk.

And let's not act like Trump's proposed incentives (or more accurately - threats)to move jobs back to the US - or more accurately, punishments for not moving jobs back to the US, wasn't an idea that had come straight from the Obama administration.

GOP senators block top Obama jobs initiative - CNNPolitics.com

Senate Republicans on Thursday blocked the No.1 item on the president's congressional "to-do-list," refusing to allow a vote on a bill that would give tax breaks for companies that "insource" jobs to the U.S. from overseas while eliminating tax deductions for companies that move jobs abroad.

Maybe a better question would have been why would they do that?

Why was it shot down?

If I recall from an article, the jobs bill had a lot of other stuff attached to it that the GOP would never agree to. My guess is it was a bill proposed knowing it would be defeated before even being proposed to be able to say repubs voted down a jobs bill.

To play devil's advocate, does it matter? Either way the jobs, factory and company stay in the states.

True. And for the record, I'm not upset that a factory is opening up in the United States, per se. The problem is, things like this are counterproductive to capitalism. Things get more expensive when they're made in the US. Where do the biggest and most successful US companies manufacture their goods? Overseas. Why? Because it costs less and they make more money that way.

On a somewhat related note I get a big kick out of the blue collar workers who sit and spout off rhetoric about bringing jobs back to America, and then drive down to road and shop at Walmart, where about 90% of their store brand durable goods and apparel are made outside of the US borders.

If I recall from an article, the jobs bill had a lot of other stuff attached to it that the GOP would never agree to. My guess is it was a bill proposed knowing it would be defeated before even being proposed to be able to say repubs voted down a jobs bill.

Exactly. There was much ado about this when the current president made his bridge speech. Was a great photo shoot though.

On a side note, these bills need to be one thing, one thing only, nothing attached. Alot more would get done for our country, for both Democrats and Republicans alike. Its the fluff thats causing both sides problems.

See the real answer that @Bert explained. Did you not read about this when it happened and all the stuff tied to this bill?

The bill failed when the Republicans (who controlled the Senate and House at the time) said they were going to cut it apart with their own amendments it and use it to add in measures to counter previously passed Democratic-sponsored law. You need to read up.

Anytime jobs are created it's good news. However, folks are stretching things to tie this to Trump. Why not attribute the 800 jobs that the company added over the last 3 years to Obama?? Where have these job creation posts been the last 8 years?? And don't be intentionally obtuse and say the no jobs were created over the last 8 years, because that simply would not be true.

Well by gosh rjs, why haven't you posted about those 800 jobs?

Well there was that whole Jobs Bill thing that President Obama proposed, but don't worry, the Republicans managed to shoot that down.

If you'll recall, President Obama stood in front of the Brent Spence Bridge in Cincinnati and gave a speech on how his Jobs Bill would replace the bridge. Who was leading the charge to prevent that? Well none other than Republicans Mitch McConnell and Speaker Of The House John Boehner...whose constituents that bridge directly serves.

You mean like all the "shovel ready" jobs that he finally admitted never existed?