The Return of the Underhanded Free Throw

Any, and all, shooting of a basketball is muscle memory and mental acuity for that memory.

Free throws are not magical, but they tend to be much more stressful to execute than any other shot in the game....hence the reason good shooters have difficulty with them.

Altering your "normal" shot to put the ball in is genius...in particular if you are re-training your mind to believe the ball will go in easier.

You must be a great free throw shooter...

Add to that, you must have just been great at everything you've ever done the first time around and never had to tweak anything. What's that like?

....I will sit patiently, awaiting @TAC response. I have it queued up in my head already...

You must be a great free throw shooter...

Add to that, you must have just been great at everything you've ever done the first time around and never had to tweak anything. What's that like?

Tweaking and reinventing the wheel are 2 different things.

Does it matter how he shoots them as long as they go in?

Some players can practice shooting free throws all day long and never get better.

Some of the big guys hands are so big it would be like most of us trying to shoot a softball or tennis ball. Their hands dwarf the ball which makes even harder to shoot.

I find it sad one can't improve over hand shots to the point they have to reinvent the way they normally shoot a ball. A kid takes thousands upon thousands of shots over hand. Zero underhand shots after the age of 4.

Who cares how he shoots free throws as long as he makes them?? I wouldn't care if he shot them from behind his back if he made them consistently. I'm also willing to bet that most people that are critical of free throw shooters couldn't make 5 out of 10 under game situations.