Reds off season 2017

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that being a GM and signing a pitcher to a long term deal has to be a nerve wracking experience for your job security, especially in small to medium market. There is absolutely no way of telling what is going on inside that arm, even with MRI's and whatnot.

Agreed, at the time he signed the deal Cueto was coming off 60 IP and multiples injury issues and it was between Homer and Latos getting an extension. I could only imagine what some of you would have said if they gave Cueto an extension after a year where he pitched 60 innings.

Homer was coming off his 6 straight year lowering his ERA and WHIP. Granted some of those years were in limited action (Most were at least 20 starts). 2nd straight year of 200 + IP and was poised for what was likely a breakout year. Easy to say it was a mistake now after he has had multiple years of injures. He was paid market value at the time.

Agreed, at the time he signed the deal Cueto was coming off 60 IP and multiples injury issues and it was between Homer and Latos getting an extension. I could only imagine what some of you would have said if they gave Cueto an extension after a year where he pitched 60 innings.

Homer was coming off his 6 straight year lowering his ERA and WHIP. Granted some of those years were in limited action (Most were at least 20 starts). 2nd straight year of 200 + IP and was poised for what was likely a breakout year. Easy to say it was a mistake now after he has had multiple years of injures. He was paid market value at the time.

I think he was actually underpaid what the market would have paid for him.