Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best high school football/basketball player ever in Kentucky

Featured Replies

Is everyone going to disregard the earlier post mentioning Paul Hourning? I mean he did win the Heisman trophy and a member of the pro football hall of fame from the accounts that I've read he could also have been a pro basketball player. Seems like it should be more than a 2 horse race since neither of the 2 mentioned have accomplished anything like that.

  • Replies 153
  • Views 26.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see "Wah Wah" on there! Just for your information, (incase you already didn't know), he played in the Olympics on the basketball team, and was All-American at UK in Football, Basketball, and Baseball from what one of our teachers told us.:D

I mentioned Wah-Wah in post 29 & 36...glad to see some folks finally agree!

Brian Brohm is a good athlete, but the only reason he's being mentioned in this thread is because of how good of a QB he was in HS, and is for U of L. He was an above average basketball player, but by no means was he a star.

 

Mike Bush is #1 - of those I've seen personally.

Derek Smith is #2 - an argument could be made for him to be #1

 

Curtis Pulley, Jared Lorenzen, Lonnell "Worm" DeWalt, Tim Couch, Mario Urrutia (Fern Creek - '04) & Chris Lofton should also be mentioned.

 

What about Andre Woodson? Wasn't North Hardin a Sweet 16 team his senior year? I think they either won it all or lost in the finals...

Nice find in Andre Woodson. He was an excellent basketball player on some very good North Hardin teams that played in back-to-back Sweet Sixteens.

No offense guys but most on here are focused on those born in the last 25 years. All of the people listed on here are very talented but it is impossible to compare those equitably from different generations. Man I'm feeling old.

No offense guys but most on here are focused on those born in the last 25 years. All of the people listed on here are very talented but it is impossible to compare those equitably from different generations. Man I'm feeling old.

 

Exactly, I was born well after Hourning won the Heisman and all but I think he's probably Kentucky's most decorated football player and when you add the fact he was one of the top basketball players in the state I think you have to expand your listing to include him.

Higgs and Wilkerson did not play basketball enough to mention, although I believe Wilkerson was the high school soccer play of the year for Kentucky...

 

If my memory is correct Wilkerson played varisty basketball for the Eagles at least 3yrs and made All-District if not All-Region. As far as soccer I'm pretty sure he was All-State, but he wasn't even the best player on his team. That distinction goes to his classmate Scott York (who might have been the player of the year) who at one point was the all time goal leader in the state. Brad did win Mr. Baseball however.

 

What disqualifies him from this thread is that he played very little football. He did the kicking for one or two years but that was it.

 

But if you start a thread as to who was the best football / basketball / baseball / soccer player in the state than I would give it to Brad hands down. Considering he started lettering in baseball and soccer during middle school he pretty much ran out of space on his letter jacket.

When Wilkerson was in high school, I was told that soccer was his best sport. Considering that the guy has been in the major leagues for several years, he must have been quite a futboller.

When Wilkerson was in high school, I was told that soccer was his best sport. Considering that the guy has been in the major leagues for several years, he must have been quite a futboller.

 

Alot of people felt that way, but I can understand why he choose baseball since you can't make any real money at soccer unless you go to Europe. He wasn't the most athletic looking guy in school but he excelled in every sport in which he participated. From about the time he was in little league, everyone around town just knew that he would play MLB.

Tim Couch. He averaged 36 points a game his Junior year and won Mr. Football. I played and graduated with Tim, and trust me, he wasn't in many 2nd halfs and fourth quarters that year. It was a little different our senior year, and I think the whole recruiting process knocked down his basketball numbers a little, but he is the greatest basketball/football player in Kentucky high school

While I am a fan of Mike Bush and would probably vote for him, he was never the best QB in the state at any time. He played QB only towards the end of the playoffs his junior year losing to the best QB in the state that year in the finals 45-19. The next year he played QB about 90% of the time and still was out dueled by the best QB in the state that year in the final 59-56. A victim of bad timing I'm afraid.

 

 

Read my post LSU. I said he would be a top five player at all of those positions. Nobody is arguing that Brohm was the best QB any of those years. With as little experience he had at a position like QB that demands reps and experience he was still a top five player at that position. Bob Redmond said his future as a QB (with the reps and experience at the position) was as good as any player he had ever coached, and I think he knows a thing or two about coaching good QBs.

Believe it or not, we still have a photograph of his senior year when they won the State Title in basketball back in 1948-1949 (I believe those are the right dates). Oh, and to add somebody to the list, I would have to say Michael Jones-Harlan High School. The last time I saw the records, he still held the national record for assists.

Also, a recent player, I would say Stewart Miller from Middlesboro. Came very close to getting some kind of a record with 3-pointers made? However, he was an awesome athelte.

 

 

Actually Wah-Wah was on the NCAA Champion UK team at that time. He started on the '47 - '49 teams. He was in High School in the earlier 40's and I don't remember if he was in the military and came back to UK or how the timeline played out.

 

I'm glad to see Wallace Jones on this list. I had forgot about him but as great as Hornung may have been, Jones was perhaps a better athlete slash Basketball/Football star.

 

I'm still surprised that few (including Old School Admiral) have not considered Chris Jones in the discussion. I put his credentials up but few have discussed them.

Well, most of these guys weren't great at both. some weren't great at either. I feel very comfortable putting Brian on this list. How many of the other guys were featured as the last of a dying breed in high school sports? The multi-sport athlete.

 

Apparently all of them.

OSA, Bush actually received All-State votes for 7 different positions.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.