Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best high school football/basketball player ever in Kentucky

Featured Replies

P.S. Still looking for where Bush finished in both polls (and Tim Couch for that matter).

 

I don't know where Couch finished but Fishback was the 1996 Mr. Basketball.

  • Replies 153
  • Views 26.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is two more that should be added.

 

 

Juan Thomas - Ashland

 

Phillip Ratliff - Lawrence County

 

Both were All-State in both sports, and dominated on the gridiron and hardwood. Plus both were outstanding baseball players as well.

Here are a few more for consideration:

 

Jermaine Brown-Fairdale: Mr. Basketball in Kentucky in 1991; First team all-state and football in 1989. Has anyone other than Chris Lofton ever garnered honors this high and both sports?

 

Lonnel DeWalt-Bowling Green: First-team all-state in football and in basketball.

 

Ron Thomas-Thomas Jefferson: played pro basketball for the ABA Kentucky Colonels from 1972-1976, third team all-state football in 1967.

 

Elmore Stephens-Thomas Jefferson: first-team all-state football player 1969; all-state basketball player.

 

JaJuan Spillman-Pleasure Ridge Park-second-team all-state or in football in 2004 and all-state in basketball.

 

Mike Campbell-Butler: first-team all-state in football in 1969; excellent basketball player.

 

Maurice Grinter-Fairdale: third team all-state football player in 2004; all-state basketball player. Currently playing at University of Kentucky.

 

Douglas Beaumont-Male: current candidate for Mr. Football, first-team all-state 2005; excellent basketball player.

 

Clint Bacon-Manual: first-team all-state football 1961; excellent basketball player.

 

Frank Maddox-Moore: first-team all-state football 1989; all-state basketball. This guy was one of my favorites-he could really play both sports at a very high-level and for some reason got very little publicity.

 

Donta Smith-Oldham County: first-team all-state football 2001; all-state basketball. Drafted by the NBA. Currently playing pro basketball.

 

Ron Gathright was a second-team all-state running back for Thomas Jefferson in 1965. Wasn't he also all-state in basketball? Ron Garrison was second-team all-state running back for Seneca in 1965. Wasn't he also an all-stater in basketball?

Nice list......great memory. How about Mike Deaton of Green County?

 

I believe All-State quarterback in football and guard basketball in 1975-6.

Here's one that maybe ought to be mentioned:

 

Chris Jones of Danville High School. In 1977-78 He was a High School All-American RB (that's right Parade All-American and heavily recruited by Barry Switzer and Oklahoma) and was All-State in Basketball that season.

 

Jones went to UK and led all Freshman rushers in the SEC his Freshman year. He was off to a great start his Sophomore year when his knee almost literally came apart on the gridiron for UK.

 

Not saying he is the one but his name is worthy of discussion.:thumb:

In my opinion, Brian Brohm's name does not need to be in this thread.....Best High School Football/Basketball Player Ever in Kentucky. Brian indeed qualifies under one of the criteria, but not the other. I saw him play in the Sweet Sixteen and can say without any reservation that he was a mediocre, high school basketball player at best.

You might want to purchase a dictionary. Because Brian and mediocre should never be in the same sentence. If you only saw him in that game, then maybe your opinion isn't very valid. The fact is that he won more than a few tough seventh region games for Trinity.

Here is two more that should be added.

 

 

Juan Thomas - Ashland

 

Phillip Ratliff - Lawrence County

 

Both were All-State in both sports, and dominated on the gridiron and hardwood. Plus both were outstanding baseball players as well.

 

 

Both Thomas and Ratliff made All-State in football, but neither one of them made All-State in basketball. They were both average basketball players.

Agreed. Just looking for some additional data points for this discussion. JLo was Mr. Football Derek's Senior Year. Who won Mr. Basketball that year?
Rick Jones. I still feel that Smith should have won both awards that year.

 

P.S. Calling Lorenzen "JLo" ... my, what an insult to the "original" J-Lo. :lol:

This is one case where I'd have no problem voting for Bush.

You might want to purchase a dictionary. Because Brian and mediocre should never be in the same sentence. If you only saw him in that game, then maybe your opinion isn't very valid. The fact is that he won more than a few tough seventh region games for Trinity.

You have every reason to admire Brian Brohm. I greatly admire him myself. Fact of the matter is, he was not a great high school basketball player. That is what this thread is asking for. Sure he started for Trinity's Sweet 16 team, but that in itself does not make him great. Did he even make the Courier-Journal's Louisville all-city team in basketball? I think not. How could he put on this thread as one of the greatest football/basketball players in Kentucky state history and not even make the all-city team in one of the sports?

 

I took your advice on describing Brian Brohm as a "mediocre" as a basketball player and got out the Webster dictionary. How about "ordinary" instead. Is that more fitting?

Chris Lofton-Mason Co

Anthony Epps- Marion Co

 

Most folks forget that Lofton was first-team all-state as a wide receiver the same year he was Mr. Basketball.

^^I saw Brohm play at least 10 times in high school, he was the best football talent, I've ever played against, however in basketball, he was good, but I never, ever saw him take over a game, I never ever saw him dominate a game, he was definitely solid and did all the little things, but to be the best basketball and football player combined, I think being able to single handedly lead your team to victory and dominate the competition is a necessity. I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but i was saw derek Smith absolutely dominate NBA'er Vincent Yarbrough at the 5/3rd Tournament at Lex. Catholic. Highlands dominated the back to back Tennessee state champions Cleveland, TN. That was just one example of Smith's versatility. In my opinion he is the best that I have ever seen at both. However there probably were some before my time, who were his equal.

 

My Top 5(that I have seen)

1. Derek Smith

2. Michael Bush

3. Jared Lorenzen

4. Lonell DeWalt

5. Tim Couch

 

*as a side note on Kenneal Jenkins, in another thread I mentioned about him dunking on a Clay Co., player at Lex. Catholic. He took off about 6 feet from the basket, caught an alley-oop and dunked over Doug Dezarn (who was built like a house 6'7 350) that was one of the most athletic moves I have ever seen. He quite possibly could have been one of the best, but like was mentioned, he remains an unknown talent.

You might want to purchase a dictionary. Because Brian and mediocre should never be in the same sentence. If you only saw him in that game, then maybe your opinion isn't very valid. The fact is that he won more than a few tough seventh region games for Trinity.

 

All may be true and I'll defer to you on this. However, in no way can he be mentioned in this category.

My top 5

 

1. Mike Bush

2. Derek Smith

3. Curtis Pulley(He came awful close to pulling off both Mr. Football and Mr. basketball didn't he?)

4. Jared Lorenzen

5. Lonell DeWalt(Leader of both the football and basketball teams and left with a ring in bball)

 

Couch will probably be the most popular, but if you look at all 5 you can argue for/against for all 5. These are my top 5 and I don't think we will ever see an athlete quite like Mike Bush for a long time.

You have every reason to admire Brian Brohm. I greatly admire him myself. Fact of the matter is, he was not a great high school basketball player. That is what this thread is asking for. Sure he started for Trinity's Sweet 16 team, but that in itself does not make him great. Did he even make the Courier-Journal's Louisville all-city team in basketball? I think not. How could he put on this thread as one of the greatest football/basketball players in Kentucky state history and not even make the all-city team in one of the sports?

 

I took your advice on describing Brian Brohm as a "mediocre" as a basketball player and got out the Webster dictionary. How about "ordinary" instead. Is that more fitting?

Well, most of these guys weren't great at both. some weren't great at either. I feel very comfortable putting Brian on this list. How many of the other guys were featured as the last of a dying breed in high school sports? The multi-sport athlete.

Top 2.......Because I can't decide.

 

Mike Bush

Tim Couch

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.