Is officiating down across the state this year?

the game guy

I think you're right that since the 2nd foul was dead ball then both should've been marked off, but it's a common misconception that ALL personal fouls are automatic 1st downs. That only holds true for the "roughing" fouls (passer, kicker, holder, snapper).

Okay, thanks.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said this before and I will say it again.

Remember without Referees there are no games and if you think they are so bad, then attend some classes they put on and you try doing the job.

It a thankless job and I always make certain when I can to thank the ladies and gentlemen for doing, who wear the Stripes or Blue, who enable young men and women to play their games.

Thank you all, for the jobs you do!

I have said this before and I will say it again.

Remember without Referees there are no games and if you think they are so bad, then attend some classes they put on and you try doing the job.

It a thankless job, that I always make certain when I can to thank the ladies and gentlemen for doing, who wear the Stripes or Blue, who enable young men and women to play their games.

Thank you all, for the jobs you do!

Could not agree more. Without them there is no game for these kids to play or for us to enjoy watching our kids play. The very people who complain, for the most part, have never stepped foot in the arena and had to make a call in real time only a few feet from the action -- which is moving very fast.

And when did our civility end? The things I have heard come from some adults mouths toward these refs is unreal. Come on folks. They are part time and they are human -- as in not perfect. Even full time refs in the pro's -- in the world series or the super bowl -- mess up now and then. As was said above, if you think you can do better please, by all means, get out there and make things better instead of just complaining.

Thank a ref next time they are coming off the field! Maybe things will improve for all.

Could not agree more. Without them there is no game for these kids to play or for us to enjoy watching our kids play. The very people who complain, for the most part, have never stepped foot in the arena and had to make a call in real time only a few feet from the action -- which is moving very fast.

And when did our civility end? The things I have heard come from some adults mouths toward these refs is unreal. Come on folks. They are part time and they are human -- as in not perfect. Even full time refs in the pro's -- in the world series or the super bowl -- mess up now and then. As was said above, if you think you can do better please, by all means, get out there and make things better instead of just complaining.

Thank a ref next time they are coming off the field! Maybe things will improve for all.

So are you saying that officials are beyond reproach? So it's okay that you can call a game and make every penalty a personal foul? Officials are not volunteers they are being paid to do job. And furthermore if you are an official whom is unsure about a call then don't make that call! It's one thing to miss a call, but when it's ignorance to the rules it's unacceptable and needs to be addressed...When bad officiating costs you a game that ends up costing you your job...Just ask Les Miles

I think the quality of officiating is pretty subjective, for the most part.

However, I think there are too many officials worried about calling so many of the little things, that they are going to miss some of the bigger things. I've seen too many officials who are absolutely over bearing with how far back the coaches are from the sideline. But then those same officials completely miss the kid who took a cheap shot 5 seconds after the play was over. They'll call the borderline hold behind the play, but completely miss the kid who was brought down by his facemask.

I don't want to be an official. I know what people say to them, I don't want that.

And, I know there is a yearly point of emphasis for officials to watch for. I think it's funny, because it seems like whatever that point is, it is way over called the first few games of the year and then everybody backs off of it and just lets it go.

Officiating is a hard job. The worst part about it, is even if there was a perfectly officiated game, no one would notice or know about it. Bad officiating stands out, good officiating goes unnoticed. That's got to be hard for them, because no one is going to know anything about you unless you miss what they wanted you to call.

I wouldn't want to do their job, regardless of money.

So are you saying that officials are beyond reproach? So it's okay that you can call a game and make every penalty a personal foul? Officials are not volunteers they are being paid to do job. And furthermore if you are an official whom is unsure about a call then don't make that call! It's one thing to miss a call, but when it's ignorance to the rules it's unacceptable and needs to be addressed...When bad officiating costs you a game that ends up costing you your job...Just ask Les Miles

So become one, a stripe that is, be that person who tries their best game in and game out, to do a good job for the players. Sure they get paid but if you think it's a lot of money, you are only kidding yourself. Go ahead put on the shirt, put that whistle between your teeth, take the abuse from the fans, some coaches and players and sure as the sun sets in the West, a Mom or Dad in the stands some 60 yards away will call you out for missing a call. Sure sometimes the stripes are wrong but you have never made a mistake at work but even if they have it is just that, a mistake, it wasn't done on purpose or to help one team over the other. I am sure some Stripes are more prone to make mistakes than others and I am pretty certain that are taken to task by their fellow Stripes about it after the game but again put on the shirt and give it a try, I am sure they will welcome you with open arms.

You get what you pay for. If schools/fans want officiating to be better, you must pay more to attract people who are going to take it seriously and study to get better. Hard to convince young people to give up their Friday and to go officiate for the money they are paid.

How much do you think they should be paid?

If you want to complain about the officials get out there and try calling. I've called for closed to a decade and it's not as easy as people think. On a 5 man crew you have 10 eyeballs to watch 22 players. Coaches make it worse too, when a close call is made coaches are usually out on the officials pleading their case and it impacts officials getting together and having an open discussion about what just happened. In my experience when all the officials huddle and talk the wrong call is almost never made. Now that said a lot of officials won't say exactly what they saw when a coach is breathing down that huddles neck.

No they are not above reproach. I am pretty sure they try to police themselves and keep getting better. I know a few of them and they try their best to get it right. And by the way, I don't believe Les Miles lost his job because of a bad call. Takes just a little more than that!

i know the job is tough i have officiated some but to have alumni call a game is wrong .

Not really. If the official is good and the coaches know he's good then they'll take him before someone they don't know who is not an alum.

I always use 9th region basketball example of Tim O'Hara. Top official in the 9th for a long time. NCC grad. He's done NCC games and he called them exactly like he called every other game.

Now, if you have a child AT the school or a family member ON the team them you have to scratch yourself from doing that school's games. Even if in your mind it doesn't change how you call it it's bad optics.

Re: football in NKY the assignor Matt Young does a great job with teaching and accountability. It's my understanding they get videos with notes from him on what a call should have been OR where they should have been positioned, etc. It takes a lot of time but the officials get better.

I don't know what is happening in Tennessee but they had an 8-man crew for the Belfry vs. Knoxville Catholic game.

I can honestly say every single flag that was thrown seemed to be the correct call from what I saw (which is a big positive), but at the same time it seemed that game was called much tighter than the normal game as a result.

Not sure if this was just because it was such a big and high profile game that they had such a large crew or if this is the norm for the Volunteer State?

I guess the question is then "Do I want every key call to be correct and nothing missed, or do I want a game that isn't called so tight that key plays get brought back and teams have situations where they are having to overcome 3rd and 20+ due to penalties?"

One oddity also happened. The KnoxCath head Coach is apparently suspended this week. It's not for something unsportsman or arguing with the officials though. He is suspended because his team were flagged three different times for sideline infractions. Apparently in Tennessee this causes a fine and an one game suspension.