Is officiating down across the state this year?

the game guy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get what you pay for. If schools/fans want officiating to be better, you must pay more to attract people who are going to take it seriously and study to get better. Hard to convince young people to give up their Friday and to go officiate for the money they are paid.

There isn't enough transparency, a bad ref doesn't think he's a bad ref. I'm surprised with all the advances in technology that there aren't more referee call outs. There was once a study done where it showed how much MLB baseball umps favored or dis favored certain hitters/pitchers until they were being recorded and how much their calls changed once they knew they were being recorded and judged.

Numerous group discussions regarding rules make fans, players, coaches suspect of the crew's knowledge of the rule book. Especially if they happen repeatedly during a game.

One thing I have been mistaken about is the 5 yard face mask penalty. I was not aware that existed in high school.

Something I need clarified.

Example: Holding is called on the offense. Then there is a dead ball personal foul penalty flagged on the defense.

What I think. The holding penalty is marked off as normal. From that point the personal foul penalty is marked off and it is automatic first and ten (due to the personal foul).

What happened on the field. 2nd and 9. Holding on the offense. Dead ball personal foul on the defense. Nothing is marked off. The ball is placed for play. 2nd and 10.

??????????? I'm not sure what's supposed to happen here but I know what wasn't supposed to happen.

Assumed outcomes:

Inadvertent whistles-- FS has had two in one game and one in another. All three stopped a play in which the FS ball carrier was basically in the open field running clear.

Flags drop on kickoffs that looked to be headed out of bounds. This confuses everyone.

You get what you pay for. If schools/fans want officiating to be better, you must pay more to attract people who are going to take it seriously and study to get better. Hard to convince young people to give up their Friday and to go officiate for the money they are paid.

I'd have to be paid fairly well to take some of the abuse I've heard over the years.

This is it. Who WANTS this job?? I've heard some nasty things leveled at guys making a few bucks, officiating pee-wee games. Let alone the things you hear on Friday nights. It's not an attractive offer as it stands, needs to be changed.

What I think. The holding penalty is marked off as normal. From that point the personal foul penalty is marked off and it is automatic first and ten (due to the personal foul).

I think you're right that since the 2nd foul was dead ball then both should've been marked off, but it's a common misconception that ALL personal fouls are automatic 1st downs. That only holds true for the "roughing" fouls (passer, kicker, holder, snapper).

As to the matter brought up in the thread as whole, I've gotten to see many games in the Louisville area this year and have had to dissect each play as a color announcer. That has made me more aware of just how often these guys get things RIGHT when you consider the number of moving parts on each play AND the complexity of the rule book.

Add in that a lot of these guys also officiate college games on Saturday -- with totally different sets of rules and enforcements -- and I'm even more impressed.

Can't speak to the officiating throughout the state, but in Louisville it's seemed pretty good.

(Might be saying something different if I'm the fan of a particular team hurt by a questionable call, but a good thing about the situation I'm in is I get to be 100% neutral.)

Either way, high school officials have other jobs they are just not professional officials.

Ok? But they know what they're getting into and no one forces them to be an official. I know in basketball at one time you could strike refs you didn't like from ever doing your games, I don't know if that's still a thing or not. Football you have a crew, but when a crew gets suspended you never see it on the KHSAA or publicized.