Is officiating down across the state this year?

the game guy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not attracting any new faces to call these games. they must pay these guys more money to make it worth the time they have to put in. This is a problem across the nation. It is not like it used to be as you had a god crew every week to call your games. Now you are lucky to get a crew with two guys that have been calling over 2-3 years?

If it's blatantly obvious effecting the play and/or jeopardizes player safety...then call it every single time. If not? Let it go. That's the only gripes(s) I've ever had. IMO, the best crews always seem to be the ones that you don't notice are out there (yet are quick to keep order of the game in letting the players know that there isn't going to be any foolishness. Often times; warning and/or even sometimes bringing the teams together before getting flag crazy.)

They are not attracting any new faces to call these games. they must pay these guys more money to make it worth the time they have to put in. This is a problem across the nation. It is not like it used to be as you had a god crew every week to call your games. Now you are lucky to get a crew with two guys that have been calling over 2-3 years?

Sadly, the same can be said for coaching. Both groups of men & women are in the same boat.

So are you saying that officials are beyond reproach? So it's okay that you can call a game and make every penalty a personal foul? Officials are not volunteers they are being paid to do job. And furthermore if you are an official whom is unsure about a call then don't make that call! It's one thing to miss a call, but when it's ignorance to the rules it's unacceptable and needs to be addressed...When bad officiating costs you a game that ends up costing you your job...Just ask Les Miles

As for Les Miles, the correct call was made after replay and that is not why he lost his job.

As for this thread...Think of how many times you have actually agreed with a call. As coaches you want every play to go your way. In life, and in football, it doesn't always work that way. Some coaches are just as bad as parents in how they talk about or to the officials. It is interesting to note that officials know which coaches are respectful towards them. I'm not saying it buys you calls here and there, but it is just the right thing to do. Officials make mistakes just like we all do. How you handle the bad calls goes a long way to getting that close call in your favor. I don't subscribe to the idea of "working" officials to get a call later in the game, but I do think that when you show them respect they will return the favor. It was brought up in another post that there are 5 guys watching 22 players...just remember that.

As for Officials being evaluated. They should be and they are.

I like how the initial question on this thread has been twisted to soothe the butt hurt of some obviously sensitive posters for officiating. But let me restate the question "is officiating down"...I wasn't talking about missed calls or bashing refs. I'm referring to wrong calls like confusing a 15yd personal foul with a 10yd penalty, not knowing were to spot the ball, not knowing how to signal rather or not the last man on the l.o.s is on or off. Hence why I say Yes officiating is down. Not bashing or saying I could do a better job, just saying it ain't what it used to be.

OK....Have scanned most replies but if this has already been said, please excuse.

I've said this in another section as well.......If a Ref is in the correct position and makes/doesn't make a call, then he/she has the best vantage point and I'll always respect their call.....

......However, my issue is with the ref that isn't in the right position (usually due to effort/stamina) Very easy to see on the soccer pitch, but also evident on the grid iron........have seen some refs that can't lean over and place the ball.

The issues with being a ref is the ill informed, unsolicited and biased opinions of the fans. I ref football, soccer and basketball. Mainly because I truly enjoy being around sports and kids, keeping in shape and the extra money is a small factor. Take soccer. It is impossible to keep up with the athletes on the field, especially at the varsity level, they are just too fast for anyone not their age or the speed gifted. I am neither. I try to anticipate the break aways, but it is very difficult to stay with these kids. Nonetheless you have fans in the stands, yelling at us to keep up. I challenge those yelling to come down and keep up. It would be a sad program the day that I, as a 47 year old 280lb man, could keep up with those playing. Feet on the line on throw ins, goalie out of the box while kicking the ball they picked up although they have already let go of the ball, what constitutes a foul and advantage. You do get to a point that you compare the fun of being out there and the abuse you take, verbally. True, it comes with the shirt. I get that, that's why for the most part I laugh it off and move on. But what happens when it goes too far? I have been walked up on, threatened and invited to a meeting by my car. I have no issue with coaches yelling at me, they're fighting for their team and for the most part understand the rules so I say nothing about them. As one of the refs in the sport of choice, we are the ONLY non biased people in the stadium. I truly don't care who wins. Do I miss calls? Yes, and when I realize it, I am tougher on myself than anyone of you will ever be. Fans get worse every year. You can see in the news, fans and even kids going after refs. What would be the expectation then? We are trying to get younger people to join, but most are unwilling to put up with that kind of abuse. It is getting hard. Fans scoff at the idea that they, knowing so much and never being wrong, should put on the shirt and try it. Then have a little understanding for us. We are working and doing the best we can. Exiting the soap box, now.

As to the matter brought up in the thread as whole, I've gotten to see many games in the Louisville area this year and have had to dissect each play as a color announcer. That has made me more aware of just how often these guys get things RIGHT when you consider the number of moving parts on each play AND the complexity of the rule book.

Add in that a lot of these guys also officiate college games on Saturday -- with totally different sets of rules and enforcements -- and I'm even more impressed.

Can't speak to the officiating throughout the state, but in Louisville it's seemed pretty good.

(Might be saying something different if I'm the fan of a particular team hurt by a questionable call, but a good thing about the situation I'm in is I get to be 100% neutral.)

I agree with Coach here. I've been a high school football coach for 10 years in KY and now in FL and my Dad and brother are both officials in Louisville. I have numerous conversations with them about rules and other situations that happen during a game so I can learn more about rules and changes from year to year. I will say the officials are RIGHT more than they are wrong. Fans and coaches don't study the rule book as much as the officials and mostly go off what they see and hear from Saturdays and Sundays, which is a bit different. Are there some officials who struggle on Fridays, absolutely, but the majority of them take it serious and get the calls correct.

For the ones that are talking about pay, what do you think they should get paid to ref a HS football game?

I should know this, but I don't. Isn't it around $75 per game for varsity FB and basketball officials? Not sure if there's mileage extra, but I don't think there is.

What would make officiating go down this year? Is it Janet Yeltsin and the Fed's monetary policy? Or something more sinister? Again, why this year?

Lol now this is funny. Personally I think there is a shortage of quality refs. Maybe some guys retire or moved idk. But I've seen some new faces this year, I don't think those guys where ready for varsity action yet.