Please educate me about Dinosaurs

Large Tyrannosaurus rex Skull Found In Montana | Popular Science

Everyone has a big head when they're 15. But in the case of this Tyrannosaurus rex, having a big head takes on new meaning. The recently-discovered skull of the teenage Tyrannosaurus rex was 4 feet long when it died, around 66 million years ago.

The dinosaur was discovered on a University of Washington dig in Montana. The fossil is nicknamed the "Tufts-Love" Tyrannosaurus rex after the two volunteers who found the fossil, Jason Love and Luke Tufts. They were volunteering on the project, which is excavating the fossil-rich Hell Creek Formation. It is one of the largest and most complete T. rex specimens found to date, and the skull is one of only 15 T. rex skulls in the world in this kind of good condition.

“Having seen the ‘Tufts-Love Rex’ during its excavation I can attest to the fact that it is definitely one of the most significant specimens yet found, and because of its size, is sure to yield important information about the growth and possible eating habits of these magnificent animals,”Jack Horner, a research associate at the Burke Museum said.

The Burke Museum is affiliated with the University of Washington, and will be moving to a newly constructed facility in 2019. The Tufts-Love T. rex will be on display there in 2019, but you don't have to wait that long to see it. The plaster-wrapped skull is currently on display until October 2 at the Burke Museum, at which point researchers will begin the delicate process of removing the skull from its protective wrappings.

The researchers also found other fragments of the dinosaur including ribs, parts of the jaw, pelvis, and vertebrae. More excavations of the dinosaur are planned for next year.

trex.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is just hugging his Bible real tight VoR. We all love us some Bluegrasscard.

I am Catholic - don't even read the Bible and could not point to anything in it on the subject.

I am not proposing support of no-dinos or dinos and man together. That was just a site I found years ago on the subject.

I am Catholic - don't even read the Bible and could not point to anything in it on the subject.

I am not proposing support of no-dinos or dinos and man together. That was just a site I found years ago on the subject.

I am just having a little fun with you my Brother.

I prefered the snappy thread title.

===============

I can imagine a reason, because anyone that dismisses Dinosaurs doesn't look very informed on how things came to be on this planet.

Sorry, for some reason I never saw this.

What I mean is that while the Church employs numerous scientists (both laypersons and clergy) and has opinions about science, I don't see why an opinion about dinosaurs in particular has any bearing on the missions of the Church which are, first and foremost, to lead souls to heaven, and to demonstrate how to imitate the life of Christ on Earth.

While the Church will inevitably weigh in on issues of creation and evolution as sacred scriptures include such stories, I don't think having a specific directive on dinosaurs is necessary or even helpful.

For what my own opinion is worth, I learned about this historical fossil record as a very young child in Catholic school and remain convinced that current scientific understanding is probably a pretty accurate picture of how things unfolded in those periods.

Sorry, for some reason I never saw this.

What I mean is that while the Church employs numerous scientists (both laypersons and clergy) and has opinions about science, I don't see why an opinion about dinosaurs in particular has any bearing on the missions of the Church which are, first and foremost, to lead souls to heaven, and to demonstrate how to imitate the life of Christ on Earth.

While the Church will inevitably weigh in on issues of creation and evolution as sacred scriptures include such stories, I don't think having a specific directive on dinosaurs is necessary or even helpful.

For what my own opinion is worth, I learned about this historical fossil record as a very young child in Catholic school and remain convinced that current scientific understanding is probably a pretty accurate picture of how things unfolded in those periods.

I think if someone/some entity is going to preach about how life was created/came to be on this planet fossil records should always be a part of the explanation.

I think if someone/some entity is going to preach about how life was created/came to be on this planet fossil records should always be a part of the explanation.

And I think the Church is loathe to get into those discussions and for good reason. To my mind, one of the great travesties of learning in the last millenium was when well-meaning Thomist Scholastics interpreted Thomas Aquinas' brilliant readings on Aristotle as not simply an understanding of philosophy, but an unqualified endorsement of Aristotle's science as something somehow sacrosanct.

Aristotle's science was wrong, and it resulted in insane things like the trial of Galileo.

The absolute WORST thing the Catholic Church could do for science would to somehow try and codify any sort of scientific understanding as an unqualified truth. The science changes all the time with new understanding and it's a terrible idea for any church to preach scientific theory as fact.

That's why I don't want the Church having some sort of formal teaching on dinosaurs.

And I think the Church is loathe to get into those discussions and for good reason. To my mind, one of the great travesties of learning in the last millenium was when well-meaning Thomist Scholastics interpreted Thomas Aquinas' brilliant readings on Aristotle as not simply an understanding of philosophy, but an unqualified endorsement of Aristotle's science as something somehow sacrosanct.

Aristotle's science was wrong, and it resulted in insane things like the trial of Galileo.

The absolute WORST thing the Catholic Church could do for science would to somehow try and codify any sort of scientific understanding as an unqualified truth. The science changes all the time with new understanding and it's a terrible idea for any church to preach scientific theory as fact.

That's why I don't want the Church having some sort of formal teaching on dinosaurs.

I think we are on tangent with each other.

All I am saying is with near certainty Dinosaurs are part of the record of life on planet Earth.

All I am saying is with near certainty Dinosaurs are part of the record of life on planet Earth.

Agreed. And I'll even go a step further and say that the science dating the dinosaurs to sometime between 200 million and 140 million years ago is extremely strong and until something really compelling comes along, I'm on board with it.

Check out hard knocks. Lineman on there DOES believe in mermaids (and is glad the Rams moved to LA so he can be closer to them) but DOESN'T believe in dinosaurs and a bunch of other things -- include fish that have a light on their tale. The other players are having plenty of fun with him, but he seems to be taking it pretty well.

• 4 months later...
Carl Everett's exact quote......"God created the sun, the stars, the heavens and the earth, and then made Adam and Eve. The Bible never says anything about dinosaurs. You can't say there were dinosaurs when you never saw them. Somebody actually saw Adam and Eve eating apples. No one ever saw a Tyrannosaurus Rex." :lol2:

Just think, someone taught poor Carl to think this way, probably when he was just a child.

Why did God kill the dinosaurs?:idunno:

I believe a large asteroid is giving credit for their demise. It created such an extreme climate change that the dinosaurs died, as well as 70% of all plants and animals.

Now, maybe the asteroid strike was by design from a supernatural higher power, but I tend to believe it's just another event that occurs in our universe. There's unlimited numbers of asteroid collisions with other planets and moons throughout the universe. Just in our Solar System alone Jupiter was struck by several large meteorites about 10 years ago, causing huge explosions in the atmosphere that were filmed by NASA. Unfortunately the earth was in the path of one of the large rocks 65 million years ago and the rest is history.

Just think, someone taught poor Carl to think this way, probably when he was just a child.

Not necessarily. It is possible that he came to that conclusion himself. There are things that I believe about reality that no one ever taught me. I have read and studies and have arrived at certain conclusions myself.