Reds @ Braves (6/13 - 6/16)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they went with Wright over Reed. Interesting.

Yeah, I really don't get it unless they don't think he's ready but what more does he have to prove down there?

What is gained by bringing up Reed? Why not just keep him in the minors all year, let him get more experience and then bring him up next year? That would save a year of control when the Reds might actually have a chance at contending.

What is gained by bringing up Reed? Why not just keep him in the minors all year, let him get more experience and then bring him up next year? That would save a year of control when the Reds might actually have a chance at contending.

Because they want him to get used to this level. That way next season he can hit the ground running without the massive learning curve. There's nothing to be gained by keeping him down to dominate AAA.

Because they want him to get used to this level. That way next season he can hit the ground running without the massive learning curve. There's nothing to be gained by keeping him down to dominate AAA.

While I hope they don't go this route, there is an argument to not bring anyone else up and start their clock if they don't have to. Wait until MAY of 2017 and get another year of control.

The system is so screwed up that the Reds can't afford to miss their window by having all their pitching peak when their offense is crap. Assuming everyone agrees Votto, Bruce & Phillips will be gone / non-contributory in 2018 when that peak might first occur, they have some huge holes to fill. Even if you assume Duvall is not fools gold and Suarez can perform in an IF position, you have 6 other question marks.

Obviously, if all the pitching gets healthy & progresses as hoped for, you'll have an excess you can use to trade for proven players. We'll see.

jpa2825 makes my point for me. If this is a complete blow it up rebuild then it seems like the Reds need to decide when they truly will be able to compete for the playoffs. Try to target the young talent towards that year and the two or three years after.

jpa2825 makes my point for me. If this is a complete blow it up rebuild then it seems like the Reds need to decide when they truly will be able to compete for the playoffs. Try to target the young talent towards that year and the two or three years after.

6 years of control. The target is 2018. He'd be under control that season and the following 3...And be in his prime. They're past the Super Two stage, there is no valid reason to keep him down all season.

6 years of control. The target is 2018. He'd be under control that season and the following 3...And be in his prime. They're past the Super Two stage, there is no valid reason to keep him down all season.

I'm sure they have hopes of resigning some of these guys down the road. You don't want to burn that bridge before it's even built. You bring them up when they are ready. You also need some time to figure out what you have. They all won't workout. I don't need to see Cody reed have a 2.50 ERA in AAA for another 30 starts.