When trading in a vehicle......

plantmanky

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I've always done is negotiate an agreed upon sales price before ever bringing up the trade in.

Treat the trade-in as a completely separate transaction. Once you've agreed on the sale price of the new vehicle, then start the negotiating on the trade-in. The roles are reversed at this point.

You're the seller, they're the buyer, and don't accept anything less than your absolute bottom-dollar value you put on your car. I've found a lot of times they'll end up giving in on the trade-in value a lot easier than they do on the new vehicle selling price.

One thing I've always done is negotiate an agreed upon sales price before ever bringing up the trade in.

Treat the trade-in as a completely separate transaction. Once you've agreed on the sale price of the new vehicle, then start the negotiating on the trade-in. The roles are reversed at this point.

You're the seller, they're the buyer, and don't accept anything less than your absolute bottom-dollar value you put on your car. I've found a lot of times they'll end up giving in on the trade-in value a lot easier than they do on the new vehicle selling price.

I guess to clarify I am replacing my truck. 96 silverado 4x4 with 198,000 miles, its beat to hell and back. Had it for 20 years and its time for a new one. Not expecting to get alot for it, just not sure how the process works.

I guess to clarify I am replacing my truck. 96 silverado 4x4 with 198,000 miles, its beat to hell and back. Had it for 20 years and its time for a new one. Not expecting to get alot for it, just not sure how the process works.

Might be better off just hanging on to that and selling it outright as you are correct they won't give you much for it but a 4x4 truck has a lot of value to the right person. As long as it runs good you shouldn't have much problem selling it.

I guess to clarify I am replacing my truck. 96 silverado 4x4 with 198' date='000 miles, its beat to hell and back. Had it for 20 years and its time for a new one. Not expecting to get alot for it, just not sure how the process works.[/quote']

Probably get more on Craigslist.

This, times a thousand.

Sounds like what you need to do, is to figure out just what you want/need to get back out of the vehicle. Dealership will definitely be a lower value than what John Q. Public will likely pay. Sometimes the extra money is worth it. But, sometimes people don't want to go thru the hassle of selling it themselves, or have it take up extra parking space, etc. that even a lowball trade-in offer is worth it, just to be done with it.

It's been 20 years since I've traded in a vehicle. I always run the vehicle until it dies. I suspect it might not be worth the hassle of going through the trade in process for what you'll get out of your truck....maybe a few hundred $'s. I'd probably try to sell it privately. But definitely agree on the price of your new vehicle first, then work out the trade if that's what you decide to do.

I'm going to echo the advise on selling it yourself. A vehicle like that will be more of a nuisance to a dealer. They will end up sending it to auction and would probably just assume not messing with it. Meaning they will give you squat for it.

It's been 20 years since I've traded in a vehicle. I always run the vehicle until it dies. I suspect it might not be worth the hassle of going through the trade in process for what you'll get out of your truck....maybe a few hundred $'s. I'd probably try to sell it privately. But definitely agree on the price of your new vehicle first, then work out the trade if that's what you decide to do.

You have seen my truck, you know its status, lol. Im not sure Id get more than $1000 selling it privately.