When trading in a vehicle......

plantmanky

Drive your truck until the wheels fall off, then pay cash for a used vehicle........and save yourself a boatload of money not having a car payment. That's my advice.

I dont buy used vehicles, I have to know what has been done to the car from day one. I do keep them till till they almost die (says the 04 grand am I drive daily that has 294,000 miles on it and still going strong.)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have seen my truck, you know its status, lol. Im not sure Id get more than $1000 selling it privately.

I have seen your truck, and I think you'd be surprised what someone might be willing pay. However, selling a vehicle requires some work and effort, so just letting the dealer handle it via trade may be worth the $500 or so that you'd lose by trading. Another option, is if the dealer is only going to give you a couple hundred for trade, you could also look at scrapping the truck. You'll only get a few hundred for it, but it's an easy process, that requires zero effort on your part.

I have seen your truck, and I think you'd be surprised what someone might be willing pay. However, selling a vehicle requires some work and effort, so just letting the dealer handle it via trade may be worth the $500 or so that you'd lose by trading. Another option, is if the dealer is only going to give you a couple hundred for trade, you could also look at scrapping the truck. You'll only get a few hundred for it, but it's an easy process, that requires zero effort on your part.

Yeah my motor is worth more than the truck is, I know some people that might want the motor.

A car guy told me that if a car starts and runs it is worth $1,000.00 to someone no matter what the body looks like. I would guess the dealer will over you no more than $300 for it being so old and beat up. There are plenty of 16 year olds with $1k in the bank looking for a ride that would probably buy it.

You have seen my truck, you know its status, lol. Im not sure Id get more than $1000 selling it privately.

Go to KELLY blue book and plug in your truck. It will show you trade in value, private party value. You Wil shocked!

I have a 96 pickup with almost 240,000 miles. Now, it's in pretty good shape and when I get around to detailing and waxing the outside it will look pretty sharp. That said, if I took it to a dealer I MIGHT get $3-400.00 for it. I had it sold privately a while back for $2,500 and backed out of the deal the night before I was to sell it. Guy wasn't too happy with me, but my thought was, if 6 months down the road I felt I needed a truck (they ALWAYS come I handy), knowing the shape it was in and how I took care of it and how it ran, there was no way I could replace it for what I was going to sell it for unless I just lucked out.

But I digress...point being is I would make quite a bit more selling it privately than any dealer would give me.

As a matter of fact, I had the EXACT situation you are in when I bought this truck 20 years ago this month. I had a 10 year old Chevy S 10 pickup Didn't have a ton of miles and was in pretty decent shape, but did need a little engine work. They gave me $200 for it, and like a sucker I took it. I kicked myself for months after that. Wished I had kept it and done all my routine driving in it for a few years, wouldn't have as many miles on my Ranger as I do now. And even after that could have sold it for more than $200.00.

You can also donate it to charity and take it off your taxes.

Want do any good for tax purposes I dont itemize (not enough deductions.)

But that would be the route I would go if i didnt sell it/trade it in more than likely.