Open Job: Conner-Coach Hicks steps down at Conner

Dixie should be Tier 2.

I won't argue that the other three might be better than Dixie but from a coach's perspective, Dixie is a tier 1 job. Also, Cooper is not a Tier 1 job. I think it is the cycle of Boone County schools. You'll see that each school goes through these ebs and flows of talent and right now it's Coopers turn.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't argue that the other three might be better than Dixie but from a coach's perspective, Dixie is a tier 1 job. Also, Cooper is not a Tier 1 job. I think it is the cycle of Boone County schools. You'll see that each school goes through these ebs and flows of talent and right now it's Coopers turn.

Since we are talking specifically about the Conner job opening, some might disagree since Conner won the District Championship this year.

Ok let me breakdown my assessment of jobs in the 9th Region:

Tier 1

Cov Cath

NCC

Dixie

Holmes

Tier 2

Conner

Cooper

Ryle

St. Henry

Tier 3

Newport

Boone County

Lloyd

Holy Cross

Tier 4

Ludlow

Highlands

Beechwood

Tier 5

Dayton

Villa Madonna

Bellevue

Tier 6

Heritage Academy

This is an interesting question/topic, and probably deserves it's own thread. I think there are several schools that could slide up and down tiers based on the criteria you are using. For example, is this based on the ability to win now vs the long haul? Open enrollment in Kenton County or in a private school setting? Based on salary expectations? Or, the whole ball of wax? And, so on.

Since we are talking specifically about the Conner job opening, some might disagree since Conner won the District Championship this year.

The only reason that they won the District Championship is because McNeil and Kunkel did not play because of injury and Dante Hendrix went down with a broken wrist the beginning of the 4th quarter. Conner only beat them by one on a free throw with .08 left in the game. Hard to beat a team with 2 of the best players in the 9th region not playing.

The only reason that they won the District Championship is because McNeil and Kunkel did not play because of injury and Dante Hendrix went down with a broken wrist the beginning of the 4th quarter. Conner only beat them by one on a free throw with .08 left in the game. Hard to beat a team with 2 of the best players in the 9th region not playing.

No doubt in my mind if Kunkel would of stayed at Conner, Conner would be a state contending team until he graduates. But at the same time I do understand why his parents took him out of Conner.

The "only" reason? That's a little strong. These two teams always play tough games each other. Yes, Cooper won both games during the regular season, but it's not like they were blowouts. Both games were decided by 5 points and Conner had the lead in both games late in the 4th Quarter. Yes, obviously, Cooper's chances of winning would have much greater at full strength, but, injuries are unfortunately a part of the game. I think Conner still had a good shot of beating them in the District even against a healthy Cooper squad, especially with the District game being played at Conner.

The "only" reason? That's a little strong. These two teams always play tough games each other. Yes, Cooper won both games during the regular season, but it's not like they were blowouts. Both games were decided by 5 points and Conner had the lead in both games late in the 4th Quarter. Yes, obviously, Cooper's chances of winning would have much greater at full strength, but, injuries are unfortunately a part of the game. I think Conner still had a good shot of beating them in the District even against a healthy Cooper squad, especially with the District game being played at Conner.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Let's just say that Conner was very fortunate that about 30 points a game was sitting on the bench.

Where is this job posted as being open? KHSAA does not list it and I don't see it on the Boone County School web site as being open. I'm with an earlier post that Hicks coaches this team next year.

Summer camp is coming up and Conner usually attends the Georgetown team camp in June.

I doubt it goes to anyone but Bowman at this point. Hicks is probably going to drag it out so Ryan gets the job.

It's a myth that a high school AD makes the decision. Jim is one part of the decision process but the principal makes the final call.

No doubt in my mind if Kunkel would of stayed at Conner, Conner would be a state contending team until he graduates. But at the same time I do understand why his parents took him out of Conner.

That's for making my day with the bolded comment. The kid might be a good player, but for him to have Conner "a state contending team", he would have to be Lebron James good and sorry but he isn't even in that universe.