Holmes 47 South Laurel 26

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumb:

Little bit of both, really. SL carriers weren't doing a very good job protecting the ball while running, Holmes saw opportunities in the form of exposed footballs, and made SL pay with good stripping technique. The INT was simply the DB making a great read and break on the ball.

Also credit the defensive pressure put on Bowling which caused him to float the pass.

One of the main differences I noticed with this year's CH team is the maturity of Jefferson. Last year he tried to make a lot of spectacular plays that did not turn out well. This year he only made one play (that I saw) like that and held onto the ball instead of trying to make the nearly impossible pitches. The Holmes team also seemed more disciplined and I was impressed in Coach Trosper has helped his team mature as a team.

Thanks for the recap Dawg. I wish people would have listened to us in the other thread when we said that this Bulldogs speed would be the difference of the game.

How did Thomas Benton look? Who got MVP from Holmes? I'm assuming James Miller on offense but what about defense?

Duran - Offesive MVP, we had abot 415 yards total offensive yards, Duran scored 1, Rodney Covington scored 1, James Miller #5 scored 3 TD, I think we passed three times and were 2-3 (one was a long pass)

Julious Hall - Deffesive MVP, He had a scoup and score TD. Juicy played well on D - he had alot of tackles and caused three fumbles. Dontay Whatley had a pick, Juicy recovered a fumbled after stripping the ball carrier.

Bowling I think threw one nice long ball everything else that was long looked ugly.

I was talking to the Guru tonight on my way home from Louisville and I told him that I was not impressed with either team. Holmes had a ton of offense and a large part of that was do to poor tackling by South.

I wouldn't be impressed with Holmes Offense either considering they tallied up over 400 yards of O and the D caused the turnovers. By the way tackeling is an important part of a teams D. I was impressed that Holmes drove 3 hours south and pretty much had their with a team that most people gave them no chance to do. Holmes ran out of gas in the second half and gave up some easy scores because of the score board and lack of efort running. The bottom line though was Holmes's speed was to much for SL on Friday.

The total numbers do look great and my statement was not meant to be a disrepectful one toward the Bulldogs who was by far the better of the two teams. But as one who had no horse in this race so to speak I think I can see things a little bit more unbiased then one who did.

The Cardinals were terrible in this game at tackilng their own fans I set near were able to see this and voice loud thoughts on this.

Holmes for the most part had their running back/ quarterback followow his center then when the Cardinal defender was either moved out of the way the quarterback/runningback would go the other way on many plays. This is not a very complex play and when the Bulldogs come accross any team that is better than the one they face on this night those type of plays will come no where close to putting those kind of numbers up. Again no disrespect met just my thoughts on this.

Good luck to the Bulldogs this season.

The total numbers do look great and my statement was not meant to be a disrepectful one toward the Bulldogs who was by far the better of the two teams. But as one who had no horse in this race so to speak I think I can see things a little bit more unbiased then one who did.

The Cardinals were terrible in this game at tackilng their own fans I set near were able to see this and voice loud thoughts on this.

Holmes for the most part had their running back/ quarterback followow his center then when the Cardinal defender was either moved out of the way the quarterback/runningback would go the other way on many plays. This is not a very complex play and when the Bulldogs come accross any team that is better than the one they face on this night those type of plays will come no where close to putting those kind of numbers up. Again no disrespect met just my thoughts on this.

Good luck to the Bulldogs this season.

As always I respect your comments, you are knowledgeable football person. But we ran the same plays because we didn't need to use the rest of the book. When something isn't stopped why go away from it. Trust me if they would stopped it, we would have moved on to something else. Not to mention the fact that our starting QB rested the second half, he was pretty dominate in the 1st half.

As always I respect your comments, you are knowledgeable football person. But we ran the same plays because we didn't need to use the rest of the book. When something isn't stopped why go away from it. Trust me if they would stopped it, we would have moved on to something else. Not to mention the fact that our starting QB rested the second half, he was pretty dominate in the 1st half.
I agree with that and should have included that im my statement. Again good luck to the team I hope all of the hard work pays off for everyone that is associated with the team and school.

THIS BULLDOG TEAM IS EXCITED AND WANTS TO WIN AS A TEAM, WE ALL KNOW LAST YEARS TEAM DIDNT FEEL THAT WAY.COULD BE THE BIGGEST SURPRISE IN NKY 4A. I SURE HOPE SO I LIVE IN TEXAS AND WILL BE UP FOR AT LEAST TWO GAMES

Vogueman - let go of the cap button.

I thought the back up QB for Holmes (#5) did an excellent job replacing DJ in the second half. Though a little guy, IMO, he looked quicker, and appeared to be a stronger runner. I was SHOCKED when he did not recieve the Offensive MVP.

I thought the back up QB for Holmes (#5) did an excellent job replacing DJ in the second half. Though a little guy, IMO, he looked quicker, and appeared to be a stronger runner. I was SHOCKED when he did not recieve the Offensive MVP.

I think they make the decisions at the half, I know last year in the Bowl game the MVP's were announced and alot of people went (huh).

The game was on 3:05 old when South found themselves facing a third and sophomore quarterback Ricking Bowling dropped back to pass he then let the ball go in the direction of Kevin Kilburn, who made a nice catch giving the Cardinals what was a big first down at the time. 7:12 would show on the clock when Bowling let loose a bad pass that floated down field short of its mark but right into the hands of Covington Holmes defender, Dantae Wheatley giving the Bulldogs the ball.

Holmes would get a very nice 37-yard run from Duran Jefferson, who showed some sweet speed and blazing speed on the play. Holmes at times during this game looked liked not only the best athlete on the playing field but the best running back though in the Bulldogs offense he is a quarterback. Jefferson would take off on 20-yard run with 6:22 left in what was a good first quarter. The Bulldogs would get on the score board with 4:27 left when James Miller took a pitch and didn’t stop until he had gone 16-yards to end the seven play 89-yard drive. A two-point conversion try failed leaving the score 6-0, Bulldogs.

The Cardinals Cody Quinn put the ball on the ground with 1:24 left in the quarter and Julius Hall scooped it up and then went over 40-yards for another Bulldogs score. Another two point conversion try failed leaving the score 12-0.

Bowling and the Cardinals would need only four plays to get on the board the next time they got the ball. The sophomore quarterback hooked up with Randy McQueen, a 6-2 225 pound running back for a 45-yard score. Nick Ellington had his point after try blocked keeping the score at, 12-6.

The second quarter had 7:11 seconds left when South Laurel looked to be moving the ball but Justin Young would recover a fumble by Cody Quinn after Quinn had made a nice catch. The Bulldogs then got a nice run by James Miller that totaled sixteen yards. The Bulldogs would cap off a four-play thirty-five drive when Miller scored from five yards out. Rashead Palmer made good on a two-point conversion try making the score, 20-6 with 5:15 left.

Cody Quinn, who everyone I talked to is a really good player coughed up the ball for the second time on the night and the Bulldogs again was able to recover it. Quinn came a heartbeat away from redeeming himself with 4:32 left in the half but, he dropped what would have been a big interception on a terrible pass. Quinn looked to have taken his eye off the ball for a spilt second to look up field at all of the green in front of him. Jefferson would pick up 14-yards on another quarterback keeper as he looked like a man playing with boys as was the case most of the time the talented one was in the game. 21 seconds was left in the half when the Bulldogs again lit up the scoreboard. This time it came in the shape of a Jefferson one yard run. This capped off the eleven play fifty three yard drive. Another two point conversion tried failed keeping the score 26-6. Not having a kicking game could be one of two major things that come back to hurt the bulldogs in my opinion with, the other being a below average passing game again my opinion so please do not take this as a disrespectful shot toward the Bulldog player or coaches. And I do believe the play book is more complex then they showed on this night.

Bowling who seemed to be able to throw all of the short to mid passes with a nice zip on the ball was not able to show this on many of his long balls. Now this could have been for several reason. He would show very good touch on his 19-yard scoring strike to 5-7 150 pound wide receiver Brian Roark with 6:52 left in the third quarter. Bowling would zip the ball in between two defenders and Roark showing great concentration made the catch. This made the score 34-12 Bulldogs.

James Miller who is listed as a 5-8 165 pound running back was in at quarterback for the Bulldogs and with 2:17 left in the third he scored on another quarterback keeper this time the run was from 18-yards out. Miller would also convert a two-point run to make the score, 34-12.

10:40 was left in the contest when the Bulldogs capped of another scoring drive. This was concluded with Rodney Covington scoring from five yards out. This time the Bulldogs made good on the point after kick to make the score 41-12. Doing the kicking was number 21, John Walters(The print in the preview was so small that I’m guessing at most of the players names and want to apologize now if any of them are wrong)

The Cardinals who were out matched both physically and talent wise would not give up and with 10:07 left in the game Bowling found Terry Bingham for a thirty-nine-yard score. The 6-1 170-pound Bingham made a nice run after the catch as he pulled away from the Bulldogs secondary. The two point conversion try was stopped by the Bulldogs keeping the score, 41-18.

The Cardinals would still be fighting hard and this never quit attitude again paid off with 4:20 remaining in the contest when Bingham again scored. This time it came in the shape of an eighteen-yard pass play. A two-point conversion run made the score, 41-26.

With 3.12 left in the game Miller would score for the Bulldogs on a nine yard run. On the play this play summed up the night for the Cardinals’ defense as they missed three tackles on the play. This was mainly caused from trying to tackle every Cardinal up high. This I’m betting will be corrected by week two by the Cardinal coaching staff who, might have the defense out on the field right now. The point after kick was no good after the score keeping it a 47-26 game.

UNOFFICIAL STATS

BULLDOGS

66 PLAYS

406 YARDS

1-3 PASSING

CARDINALS

58 PLAYS

379 YARDS

30-41 PASSING 4 TD’S 1INT