Urgent - Be aware of your surroundings!

plantmanky

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

but the point is that if the circumstances don't warrant firing the gun, then they don't warrant pulling it out. .

That is not true at all. Any firearms instructor will teach that the vast majority of cases, simply drawing the weapon will cause the threat to flee, no need to fire, studies show this to be approx 39 out of 40 cases.

Now in this case should grandpa should have pulled? Not being there, hard to say, possibly not but since he didn't fire, nothing awful happened. If I were in his place, I would have uttered a warning to Plantman first, while moving my right hand in a position to pull my cover garment aside if something were to occur to make drawing called for.

By not being there you are just assuming a lot. You are correct in that one does not pull out a gun unless they are willing to use it. But one pulls the gun in hopes in avoiding a situation, thereby avoiding not using the gun. It may be too late to help someone if you wait until an attacks actually takes place.

Precisely

That is not true at all. Any firearms instructor will teach that the vast majority of cases, simply drawing the weapon will cause the threat to flee, no need to fire, studies show this to be approx 39 out of 40 cases.

Now in this case should grandpa should have pulled? Not being there, hard to say, possibly not but since he didn't fire, nothing awful happened. If I were in his place, I would have uttered a warning to Plantman first, while moving my right hand in a position to pull my cover garment aside if something were to occur to make drawing called for.

Bert, you are just flat-out wrong. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, you are not intentionally getting it wrong, but are massively confused. But never fear, I am here to help you out.

No firearm instructor will tell you to draw a weapon unless there is cause to use it. You are confusing "ultimately using a weapon" with "the cause to use a weapon." It is true that drawing the weapon may solve the problem most of the time without using it, but that does not mean that you can draw a weapon unless there is cause to use it.

You don't have to believe me. Take Jeff Cooper, he is a demi-god among you guys, there is a zillion page thread on BGP dedicated to a word he coined, the hoplophobia thread. He has four rules, but it is rule 2 for you.

RULE 2

NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY

You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.

Cooper's Four Rules

So the point is, you CANT take your weapon out and point it at someone UNLESS there is a good reason that would JUSTIFY KILLING THEM.

Bert, you are just flat-out wrong. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, you are not intentionally getting it wrong, but are massively confused. But never fear, I am here to help you out.

No firearm instructor will tell you to draw a weapon unless there is cause to use it. You are confusing "ultimately using a weapon" with "the cause to use a weapon." It is true that drawing the weapon may solve the problem most of the time without using it, but that does not mean that you can draw a weapon unless there is cause to use it.

You don't have to believe me. Take Jeff Cooper, he is a demi-god among you guys, there is a zillion page thread on BGP dedicated to a word he coined, the hoplophobia thread. He has four rules, but it is rule 2 for you.

RULE 2

NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY

You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.

Cooper's Four Rules

So the point is, you CANT take your weapon out and point it at someone UNLESS there is a good reason that would JUSTIFY KILLING THEM.

Many, many, many police officers have drawn their wespons, very few will pull the trigger. There is a reason for that, in most cases drawing ends the threat and the possible need to fire has gone away, end of story.

Again, in grandpa's instance, should he have drawn, possibly/probably not but to say you only draw when you are going to fire is wrong, 95% of instances when a threat would justify deadly force, presenting the fire arm causes the threat to retreat and the use of deadly is no longer legally justified. Most officers who trained me when deadly force is justified or not, instructed when drawing is justified, forcefully yelling stop while drawing to get the threat's attention and give him the opportunity to stand down so you don't have to shoot him. Doing so will save your butt in court.

Many' date=' many, many police officers have drawn their wespons, very few will pull the trigger. There is a reason for that, in most cases drawing ends the threat and the possible need to fire has gone away, end of story. Again, in grandpa's instance, should he have drawn, possibly/probably not but to say you only draw when you are going to fire is wrong, 95% of instances when a threat would justify deadly force, presenting the fire arm causes the threat to retreat and the use of deadly is no longer legally justified. Most officers who trained me when deadly force is justified or not, instructed when drawing is justified, forcefully yelling stop while drawing to get the threat's attention and give him the opportunity to stand down so you don't have to shoot him. Doing so will save your butt in court.[/quote']

My advice to you all or anyone if that is you, who pulls guns on people in public who make them uncomfortable would be, have a lawyer on retainer. I have lawyers on retainers but have connections and I've never pulled a gun on anyone. If anyone needs any advice on a lawyer let me know.

I have a permit to carry, but I don't. My reason is if I get tissed enough to draw my weapon, I would probably use it. If I did use it, then I would have to prove the person that I used it on was a deadly threat to me or my family. I don't really want to take that chance of spending the rest of my life in prison.

I had a job in Cincinnati that I traveled exclusively down town on foot carrying large sums of money and running errands for a large firm. I took shortcuts through the alleys in the best and worst parts of downtown. Most of the homeless are harmless and the ones on drugs or alcohol really didn't give me a problem. If they did approach me for food money, I would go to a place and pay for their sandwich and soup knowing the money was not going to drugs or alcohol. This wasn't an everyday thing, just when I had some extra cash and really thought this person was hungry.

For being approached in a well lit gas station by a stranger, my instincts would tell me that this person is not life threatening. If he is real close without me noticing and he does cause a concern, I can do what they did in the old days and punch him. This has happened a few times over the years and the stranger wanted directions or wanted to bum a smoke,sure glad I didn't shoot first. To each his own, just the way I see it.