Urgent - Be aware of your surroundings!

plantmanky

This happened in Paducah not long ago.... Yeah I don't want anyone strung out sneaking up on me at a gas station. Luckily the first guy fought back and the girl who was carjacked was unharmed. I'm not ok with gramps pulling the gun in Plantman's case, but I'm definitely in favor of Plantman having his weapon on him...

West Kentucky Star - News

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The fact that the guy approached him from the rear and was at the point of being able to touch him, I doubt he was wanting change or else he would have asked before getting that close.

Working down town I was asked weekly, always asked as they were approaching me from 15 to 25 feet knowing startling me at 2 feet away would not help their cause. Humorously most would recognize me from serving them at the Cathedral Soup Kitchen.

Saying that, Plant is correct, situational awareness is critcal to self defense and is why I didn't have my motorcycle stolen a year ago.

Situational awareness is being stressed by those who like guns. I kinda agree, but would say the situation is that, just reading the op, some old man got two feet away from him and drew a gun without him knowing.

There really is nothing to indicate that the guy did anything worth having a gun drawn on him. Aren't you only supposed to draw a gun on someone if you are willing to shoot them? Did this guy do something worth getting shot over? He might have been coming over to say "don't do anything sudden, but there is a crazy old man right by you waving a gun around."

Who checked the background for bystanders?

Best defense in this case would have to say "can I help you?" to see what this guy was up to.

If what he did was so bad, did anyone call the police so that the man could be stopped and questioned, or do we just brandish our weapons and send the guy down the road so he can "threaten" someone else. Maybe this wasn't the first time this guy stood upright in a parking lot, and was already wanted for crimes. Seems to be a missed opportunity here.

Though it might not sound like it, I respect the rights of others, the problem is that they don't respect mine. I don't want to get exploded at a gas station because some old dude with palsy pulls his gun in the fumes at the first opportunity. I have a right to NOT carry, but don't have a right to expect those who do carry to make good judgments. People who want to carry get to do so, no matter how bad their judgments are, and no matter who else gets put at risk.

You were there, so in your defense only you can judge how threatening the situation felt, and no doubt some panhandlers can be more aggressive than others. Also, since you were there, only you can determine if the older dude was level headed, which it sounds as if he was. Thankfully nothing bad happened and I can appreciate that under the circumstances you were made to feel safe.

Honestly didnt have a chance to feel threatened myself. Like I said, I didnt even know the guy was behind me. I looked up saw grandpa with his gun not pointed at me, turned around and saw the guy, who then walked away.

This happened in Paducah not long ago.... Yeah I don't want anyone strung out sneaking up on me at a gas station. Luckily the first guy fought back and the girl who was carjacked was unharmed. I'm not ok with gramps pulling the gun in Plantman's case, but I'm definitely in favor of Plantman having his weapon on him...

West Kentucky Star - News

Understand your point, but honestly even if I had my sidearm holstered, not sure it would have done any good as close as the guy was, he had the first move advantage, at least until grandpa stepped in.

Sounds like the guy was potentially up to no good.

Not going to lie though, I probably would've been more freaked out by the old guy yelling hey and looking up to see a gun pointed in my direction than from the crackhead behind ya. :idunno:

Ive been around guns my whole life so they dont freak me out, granted it wasnt pointed at me directly. All happened so fast.

Situational awareness is being stressed by those who like guns. I kinda agree, but would say the situation is that, just reading the op, some old man got two feet away from him and drew a gun without him knowing.

There really is nothing to indicate that the guy did anything worth having a gun drawn on him. Aren't you only supposed to draw a gun on someone if you are willing to shoot them? Did this guy do something worth getting shot over? He might have been coming over to say "don't do anything sudden, but there is a crazy old man right by you waving a gun around."

Best defense in this case would have to say "can I help you?" to see what this guy was up to.

If what he did was so bad, did anyone call the police so that the man could be stopped and questioned, or do we just brandish our weapons and send the guy down the road so he can "threaten" someone else. Maybe this wasn't the first time this guy stood upright in a parking lot, and was already wanted for crimes. Seems to be a missed opportunity here.

Though it might not sound like it, I respect the rights of others, the problem is that they don't respect mine. I don't want to get exploded at a gas station because some old dude with palsy pulls his gun in the fumes at the first opportunity. I have a right to NOT carry, but don't have a right to expect those who do carry to make good judgments. People who want to carry get to do so, no matter how bad their judgments are, and no matter who else gets put at risk.

Fair point about grandpa, but I did know grandpa was over there before I started pumping gas so him being there wasnt much of a surprise.

I would argue the guy never got a change to do anything wrong thanks to grandpa. Lets say this had I turned and seen the guy that close to me (someone I dont know) I probably would have gotten physical with the guy for being in my space before asking questions.

No police were not called, but had I called them, it would have been 10 minutes before any arrived, by that time guy would have been gone anyways.

What did you take from the scenario that indicates grandpa wasn't willing to shoot but determined from the reaction from the other guy not to? It is estimated in cases where a gun is drawn in self defense (or defense of others), less than 1 in 40 cases does the person drawing the weapon fire the gun.

Situational awareness is being stressed by those who like guns. I kinda agree' date=' but would say the situation is that, just reading the op, some old man got two feet away from him and drew a gun without him knowing. There really is nothing to indicate that the guy did anything worth having a gun drawn on him. Aren't you only supposed to draw a gun on someone if you are willing to shoot them? Did this guy do something worth getting shot over? He might have been coming over to say "don't do anything sudden, but there is a crazy old man right by you waving a gun around." Who checked the background for bystanders? Best defense in this case would have to say "can I help you?" to see what this guy was up to. If what he did was so bad, did anyone call the police so that the man could be stopped and questioned, or do we just brandish our weapons and send the guy down the road so he can "threaten" someone else. Maybe this wasn't the first time this guy stood upright in a parking lot, and was already wanted for crimes. Seems to be a missed opportunity here. Though it might not sound like it, I respect the rights of others, the problem is that they don't respect mine. I don't want to get exploded at a gas station because some old dude with palsy pulls his gun in the fumes at the first opportunity. I have a right to NOT carry, but don't have a right to expect those who do carry to make good judgments. People who want to carry get to do so, no matter how bad their judgments are, and no matter who else gets put at risk.[/quote']

If only we could get all gun owners to learn Jiu Jitsu, I carry at least one of my gun everywhere but I wouldn't have pulled on this guy. A tip for my fellow carriers, every bullet has a lawyers name on it. The gun should be your last resort. I've carried for 10+ years now and I've never been in a situation to pull. I travel downtown Cincy often as well.

What did you take from the scenario that indicates grandpa wasn't willing to shoot but determined from the reaction from the other guy not to? It is estimated in cases where a gun is drawn in self defense (or defense of others), less than 1 in 40 cases does the person drawing the weapon fire the gun.

You missed the point. I have no idea if gramps was willing to shoot. The point was that this other guy did absolutely nothing where a reasonable person could say..."he deserved to get shot." I am not saying he did or did not creep up on plantman, wasn't there, but even in the most extreme interpretation of events as they were described...shooting that guy would not have been a reasonable reaction. And so...if shooting him would not have been a reasonable action...then drawing on him and pointing the weapon at him was not reasonable.

The point is not that one has to fire if they pull the gun, but the point is that if the circumstances don't warrant firing the gun, then they don't warrant pulling it out.

Even JA says he would not have pulled his gun in this situation, so I can't be too far off in my criticism.