Stop the madness i.e. Transferring

Seems this is becoming, not an isolated event, but mass hysteria in the Bluegrass State. While I understand, some county's have "open enrollment", I think it is past time for someone (KHSAA or KDE or State Lawmakers) to put a stop to this transferring. These parents who think their child is the next ...... (insert any name you want there) playing basketball so they "trick" their child out to the highest bidder and when things go south they open the "tricking" business again to transfer to the next school.

Why can't it be that where you start your high school career, if you decide to transfer from Ballard to Male or Tate's Creek to Bryan Station or Pulaski to Southwestern or Bowling Green to Warren Central, or Apollo to Owensboro, you MUST sit out the next year. No if ands or buts about it. Even if a kid went to Tilghman and transferred to Murray, and there was not a move by his parents but a transfer of guardianship and then decided to transfer back and live with his parents and go to Tilghman, they still have to sit out a year.

If only we lived in a perfect world, but I know we don't. But for the sake of the game, please somebody stop the madness!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems this is becoming, not an isolated event, but mass hysteria in the Bluegrass State. While I understand, some county's have "open enrollment", I think it is past time for someone (KHSAA or KDE or State Lawmakers) to put a stop to this transferring. These parents who think their child is the next ...... (insert any name you want there) playing basketball so they "trick" their child out to the highest bidder and when things go south they open the "tricking" business again to transfer to the next school.

Why can't it be that where you start your high school career, if you decide to transfer from Ballard to Male or Tate's Creek to Bryan Station or Pulaski to Southwestern or Bowling Green to Warren Central, or Apollo to Owensboro, you MUST sit out the next year. No if ands or buts about it. Even if a kid went to Tilghman and transferred to Murray, and there was not a move by his parents but a transfer of guardianship and then decided to transfer back and live with his parents and go to Tilghman, they still have to sit out a year.

If only we lived in a perfect world, but I know we don't. But for the sake of the game, please somebody stop the madness!

Your proposed rule penalizes kids who transfer due to their families moving. Why would we penalize them just because others have found a way to get around it for basketball reasons?

I'd go the other way before I'd go with your idea - rubber stamp all transfers.

Although I don't like the number of transfers I'm seeing around the state, I would not want to keep a 15-18 year old kid from playing a sport because of it.

The rule should read, "You as a student athlete have 1 open transfer that will allow you immediate eligibility no matter where you live. If you choose to transfer anywhere after your 1 you will have to sit a year automatically!"

I'd sign off on that.

No one complains when the star trumpet player transfers to the school with a better music program or when a kid switches schools because of the quality of the math program. Sports are part of the high school experience. I'd rubber stamp all transfers and allow them to play at least one time.

It's been my experience that most transfers get approved to play anyway. The rules don't seem to stop it from happening now.

The rule should read, "You as a student athlete have 1 open transfer that will allow you immediate eligibility no matter where you live. If you choose to transfer anywhere after your 1 you will have to sit a year automatically!"

This is exactly my opinion. Once the clock starts on a 4 year high school career (as a freshman) every KHSAA athlete gets 1 free transfer without penalty. A second transfer would require a KHSAA hearing to gain approval.

Some may say that the rule should extend to middle schoolers who play up at the high school level but I'm not crazy about that.

If you allow the one move, I'd assume that any subsequent move would make that player permanently ineligible? Doing so might make the ring chasing parent think twice.

Do you believe transfers are just about chasing a state championship?? Or are they about putting yourself in a favorable situation, or could it be about exposure, or even academics (gasp!!). I get that state championships are important...but the vast majority of athletes have no chance at a state title, and I'd guess the chance of winning a state championship isn't as high on the list as many think it is (although I'll concede it is somewhere on the list).

Example 1-Kid plays the 3 on his high school team. Does ok during the season. Then goes into the AAU season and plays a lot of 1 and 2 plays really well. Recruiters and college coaches see this and say to kid (you need to develop more at the one or the two before we can offer). Kid goes back to high school season and high school coach insists on kid playing the 3. It's mostly about fit and favorable positions for next level. Unfortunate but it's the lay of the land right now