What schools are looking at Nick Petrino as a DI QB?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5'9

In reality, 5-7.5 to 5-8 maximum (look at him between Anderson and Beaumont in the Kentucky Big 26 team photo). The young man has a super strong arm and is an amazing high school QB, but he is way too small for a D-1 QB.

:thumb:

In reality, 5-7.5 to 5-8 maximum (look at him between Anderson and Beaumont in the Kentucky Big 26 team photo). The young man has a super strong arm and is an amazing high school QB, but he is way too small for a D-1 QB.

:thumb:

I would not be so quick to jump on the "lack of hight" issue with Petrino. There have been many fine examples of outstanding athletes who achieved a very high level of play dispite their lack of height....

Spud Webb

Doug Flutie

Mark Higgs

Dicky Beal

Im sure there are many more, these just came to mind.....

I would not be so quick to jump on the "lack of hight" issue with Petrino. There have been many fine examples of outstanding athletes who achieved a very high level of play dispite their lack of height....

Spud Webb

Doug Flutie

Mark Higgs

Dicky Beal

How many 'short' QB's do you see in D1? Doug Flutie was one of the last major exceptions to this rule, and he played D1 at BC many years ago. Boston College had one last year who was about 5'9", but he was the only D1 QB I have seen at that height in several years. The state of Ohio had a 5'6" QB who was going to play at a smaller D1 college, however, it was not as a QB, but as a DB. But why do they have to be D1? You can be a great HS player (happens in hoops all the time) and not get a D1 scholly.

I think we are getting too much into D1 colleges as being the 'only' option for HS players. There are many more players at either the D1AA, D2, D3, NAIA, and NCCAA levels than play D1 anyway. Like I said before, he will get to play somewhere and hope he makes the most of the opportunity! :thumb:

I know Nick, and I am willing to say he is no 5'9"

My guess would be about 5'7", but that height could be argued until the cows come up.

I am sure it is safe to say and we all can agree that he is

"vertically challenged".

It is also fair to say that Nick Petrino had an outstanding junior year.......rolling up the type of statistics that will be difficult to duplicate or surpass in his senior campaign.

My guess would be about 5'7", but that height could be argued until the cows come up.

I am sure it is safe to say and we all can agree that he is

"vertically challenged".

It is also fair to say that Nick Petrino had an outstanding junior year.......rolling up the type of statistics that will be difficult to duplicate or surpass in his senior campaign.

I wouldn't mind it if he did.

Spud Webb

Doug Flutie

Mark Higgs

Dicky Beal

He is a great HS player but he just can't play D-1 QB due to his height and especially the height of the guys in front of him and rushing him. They would swat his passes with ease and he would never be able to see downfield.

How many 'short' QB's do you see in D1? Doug Flutie was one of the last major exceptions to this rule, and he played D1 at BC many years ago. Boston College had one last year who was about 5'9", but he was the only D1 QB I have seen at that height in several years. The state of Ohio had a 5'6" QB who was going to play at a smaller D1 college, however, it was not as a QB, but as a DB. But why do they have to be D1? You can be a great HS player (happens in hoops all the time) and not get a D1 scholly.

I think we are getting too much into D1 colleges as being the 'only' option for HS players. There are many more players at either the D1AA, D2, D3, NAIA, and NCCAA levels than play D1 anyway. Like I said before, he will get to play somewhere and hope he makes the most of the opportunity! :thumb:

I saw K J Black from Fern Creek and he was recruited and signed with Western Ky. Nick and K J had very similar regular season numbers with Nick a slight edge in TD's. Nick obviously did well in the playoffs also. K J Black was hailed as one of the top recruits for WKU. Why wouldn't Eastern, Western, or Murray St want him if he produces?

Let me throw another angle in. Say you're Eastern's recruiting coordinator and you get Petrino to come to Eastern. Now 2 years from now, his Dad jumps to the NFL and needs to fill out his staff. I know that many coaches would love to have that contact with an up and coming coach. Plus the fact that let's say that Petrino stays at Louisville and the assistant coach wants to move up to U of L's staff. Most of those positions are filled by referral. I think Nick goes higher than Georgetown, a fine NAIA school.