KHSAA Sanctions Graves County Boys' Basketball for Bylaw 16 Violations

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to understand all of the reasons that there are many kids leaving the Hickman County School System. I don't see how you can blame the kid for wanting to leave. There are many problems going on in that school system and they want to blame everyone else instead of looking at the problems that they have themselves. Heck the school board made a ruling not to allow more kids to leave so they don't loose any more money because they are loosing them by the dozens. It's not athletics!!! They are looking to blame anyone they can so they look like the ones that do no wrong. Sad if you ask me.

You have to understand all of the reasons that there are many kids leaving the Hickman County School System. I don't see how you can blame the kid for wanting to leave. There are many problems going on in that school system and they want to blame everyone else instead of looking at the problems that they have themselves. Heck the school board made a ruling not to allow more kids to leave so they don't loose any more money because they are loosing them by the dozens. It's not athletics!!! They are looking to blame anyone they can so they look like the ones that do not wrong. Sad if you ask me.

This actually raises an interesting question. Let's assume the top kid in the class academically at Hickman County takes a tour of the top academic school in the region and is impressed by the lab facilities and the record of ACT and SAT scores. That kid transfers, taking his/her significant intellectual abilities to another school. I think the bylaws only recognize recruitment for "athletic purposes", but if the kid also happens to play basketball (let's say the last kid on the 12 man team), and the transfer was for non-athletic reasons, does a KHSAA violation still occur? This is a very, very difficult issue to police. I know plenty of kids who have transferred, and in every instance I can verbalize a "non-athletic" reason for the transfer. Is that all that is required to avoid a KHSAA sanction?

It's not like this is the first time or first school ever to do something like this...

Just Hickman fought it enough to get something done about it.

What happens if Graves and Hickman get paired up in the region tournament?? Will Hickman play them?

It's not like this is the first time or first school ever to do something like this...

Just Hickman fought it enough to get something done about it.

What happens if Graves and Hickman get paired up in the region tournament?? Will Hickman play them?

That would be called cold, cruel, irony.

The issue here is the "reason" a kid transfers and "who helps initiate" the transfer. If a kid decides to move from hickman to graves and to attend graves because they think they have a better chance at going to a better college, fine. Even if they do play basketball. That's why the general rules of the transfer system exist. "must transfer because of a move, etc..." but the same rules also say you can't be "recruited" and can't transfer because of "sports". The last two are VERY hard to prove. 99/100 times it happens it doesn't get reported and nothing ever happens. This time it did and something happened. There is no "Pandoras box" here. They just enforced the rules that exist. If the kid had never taken the tour with the coach there is no rule broken...

That would be called cold, cruel, irony.

So let's see if the 1st Region officials can make this happen, assuming both teams makes it to the Region tournament. Graves should be the favorite in the 3rd district and Hickman could be runner-up in the 1st district, would make an interesting 1st round match-up.

The issue here is the "reason" a kid transfers and "who helps initiate" the transfer. If a kid decides to move from hickman to graves and to attend graves because they think they have a better chance at going to a better college, fine. Even if they do play basketball. That's why the general rules of the transfer system exist. "must transfer because of a move, etc..." but the same rules also say you can't be "recruited" and can't transfer because of "sports". The last two are VERY hard to prove. 99/100 times it happens it doesn't get reported and nothing ever happens. This time it did and something happened. There is no "Pandoras box" here. They just enforced the rules that exist. If the kid had never taken the tour with the coach there is no rule broken...

So apparently the KHSAA concluded the move was "because of sports" (your phrasing). If the kid had ANY OTHER REASON at all (better academics, better campus, better lunchroom, his friend went to school there, etc.) are you telling me it's not a violation? Here's a real interesting scenario... What if the student's parent takes a job teaching or coaching, and that prompts a transfer for sports purposes? Tell me how that rule is uniformly enforced.

So apparently the KHSAA concluded the move was "because of sports" (your phrasing). If the kid had ANY OTHER REASON at all (better academics, better campus, better lunchroom, his friend went to school there, etc.) are you telling me it's not a violation? Here's a real interesting scenario... What if the student's parent takes a job teaching or coaching, and that prompts a transfer for sports purposes? Tell me how that rule is uniformly enforced.

No, he was recruited. They didn't address why. They addressed the actual recruitment which was proven.