KHSAA Sanctions Graves County Boys' Basketball for Bylaw 16 Violations

All coaches know that kids from other schools are not to participate with any high school organized event. If the coach says he doesn't know that, they are either lying or has the worst AD in the world. If a kid shows up and the coach is the one having the open gym, the coach better ask them to leave. If that's going on all over the place (which I don't believe), then they are all violations and they will get caught eventually. If a coach reaches out to the school to ask if they can practice with them (for whatever reason), that's a different scenario.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It happened

Like I said, I'm sure there is more than what they can prove. But they can only state what they have proof of. If you know a lot more went on and you can only prove a small portion of it, that's all you got. But it doesn't minimize what really happened. But to an outsider it could appear that its harsh "if that's all they did". Which in reality...there was more than stated in the statement.

8th graders transfer to different districts all the time and the KHSAA ignores it. Why don't they crack down on all the 8th grade football players that transfer to Mayfield?

Please! Do tell!? How many of Mayfields roster didn't attend Mayfield Middle School? This is interesting.

As for this whole Graves thing, it's comical that the KHSAA comes down on Graves, yet ignores all the blatant recruiting that goes on among powerhouse programs in multiple sports across the state.

Graves is the last school that would come to mind when it comes to violations

Trust me, Graves Co. does not have to "recruit" anyone from Hickman Co. The kid wanted to go there.

All coaches know that kids from other schools are not to participate with any high school organized event. If the coach says he doesn't know that, they are either lying or has the worst AD in the world. If a kid shows up and the coach is the one having the open gym, the coach better ask them to leave. If that's going on all over the place (which I don't believe), then they are all violations and they will get caught eventually. If a coach reaches out to the school to ask if they can practice with them (for whatever reason), that's a different scenario.

This sounds all to familiar doesn't it?

8th graders transfer to different districts all the time and the KHSAA ignores it. Why don't they crack down on all the 8th grade football players that transfer to Mayfield?

Please! Do tell!? How many of Mayfields roster didn't attend Mayfield Middle School? This is interesting.

As for this whole Graves thing, it's comical that the KHSAA comes down on Graves, yet ignores all the blatant recruiting that goes on among powerhouse programs in multiple sports across the state.

Graves is the last school that would come to mind when it comes to violations

Trust me, Graves Co. does not have to "recruit" anyone from Hickman Co. The kid wanted to go there.

With the khsaa... They don't investigate unless somebody goes on the record and complains or filed a complaint. Lots of stuff happens that never gets reported. This obviously did.

I think we just disagree about what kids are doing during the summer, and where they are doing it, but whatever.

I have not seen anyone address my point about all of the 8th graders who are given tours or "shadow" at high schools that they are considering attending. Parents talk to teachers, administrators, coaches and alumni before deciding where to send their kids to high school. I think the Graves decision makes ALL of that impermissible, yet we should be able to agree that kids can go to high school wherever they choose, limited only by their ability to pay out of district tuition and the school having room to take the student. It is the stated position of the Ft. Thomas Independent Schools, for example, that as long as space permits, it will always accept out of district students paying tuition because that tuition allows the district to pay for so many amenities and programs. I am not understanding the double standard: why should students be allowed to choose to go to Highlands High School from out of district and pay tuition (and that certainly has in the past and continues to include athletes) but when students elect to go to other high schools from out of district there is something improper going on. Seems like a double standard to me.

And by the way in no way am I impugning the Ft Thomas independent schools. Quite to the contrary, I think the teachers, administrators, coaches and parents are all quite outstanding and turn out quality graduates speaking generally, and I am not at all surprised that a lot of families choose to send their kids there from outside the district. I just think it is okay for parents to elect to send their kids to OTHER schools without assuming the other schools are "recruiting".

Edited by Pete Mitchell

We can disagree all we want with what kids are doing in the summer, but regardless, if they are at an open gym of another school without consent from their school, they are breaking the rules! Period! Just because it's happening doesn't mean it's right or not against what the KHSSA says. Do you know anyone that really drives 55 mph? Well they are breaking the law. But if continues to happen, they will most likely get caught eventually.

We have addressed this. They can visit other schools they are attending. They can talk to administrators and teachers. But they should not talk to the coaches about sports until they are enrolled. This was already said. It can be construed as a violation. I coach, which I know you know. If we are approached by parents or kids at our school we are instructed to immediately tell them "Sorry, but I CANNOT talk to you about sports until you are enrolled or given permission by our administration. So if you're there for an educational visit, you can only talk to the AD and principal about athletics. It's the rules whether you agree or not. That's how it should be handled and just about anything outside of that can be perceived as a violation.

As far as kids going to HHS, again, it's "how" they get there. If athletic coaches have ANY interaction with getting them there, it's a violation plain and simple. And you know I coach at Highlands.

At the end of the day, the KHSAA doesn't get involve typically for minor infractions. They would be investigating stuff everyday! They take the situations where schools are abusing things. The places that they have had multiple complaints about over a period of time. They will look into those things much quicker and much more thorough than an anonymous letter showing up on their doorstep. When they come out with their findings, it may seem minimal because it's all they could prove. But my guess is there a ton more going on that they couldn't prove. Just like in a lot of court cases. You know what happened, but you can only get the bad guys on the things you can prove. Doesn't mean they weren't doing slot of other bad things.

If your school is or has been investigated, then there were much more than minor infractions going on. They don't have time to look into something everytime a team loses and wants to complain about cheating.