KHSAA Sanctions Graves County Boys' Basketball for Bylaw 16 Violations

If a kid moves because his parent got another job its obviously a legit reason. If a kid is recruited it's a violation whether he moves or not. This isn't a question of the kid's eligibility. this is a question of a recruitment. not sure if you're intending to but you're creating a bit of a red herring here.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much more of this goes on than what you hear about. The KHSAA is sporadic at best enforcing transfer rules. This punishment comes down right after a girl in our district was cleared despite being on her 3rd high school in 3 years without a single change of address. Said player starts out at Christian County where they are supposed to go and plays their freshman year, transfers and plays at University Heights as a sophomore, and now is playing for Hopkinsville as a junior. She was declared ineligible initially but the ruling was changed about a week ago.

If the KHSAA isn't going to have more consistent enforcement of the transfer rules then they might as well not even exist. Before we stand and applaude the KHSAA for catching Graves County with their hand in the cookie jar, lets think about all of the hairy stuff that still goes on while the KHSAA simply looks the other way.

So much more of this goes on than what you hear about. The KHSAA is sporadic at best enforcing transfer rules. This punishment comes down right after a girl in our district was cleared despite being on her 3rd high school in 3 years without a single change of address. Said player starts out at Christian County where they are supposed to go and plays their freshman year, transfers and plays at University Heights as a sophomore, and now is playing for Hopkinsville as a junior. She was declared ineligible initially but the ruling was changed about a week ago.

Don't know the specifics but with a private school involved that does change eligibility

Don't know the specifics but with a private school involved that does change eligibility

It isn't supposed to but In the case of hoptown, when a kid gets ruled ineligible by the khsaa when they transfer in hoptown has a lawyer in standby who sends a letter threatening to sue the khsaa and the khsaa then reverses. It's happened multiple times in the last few years.

You might think, "it can't be that simple". But it is.

If a lawyer threatening to sue alters how the KHSAA enforces a rule, then the rule can't ever be enforced. That is my point about the recruitment bylaw. It is fraught with ambiguity. But when you tell me that a kid coming to an open gym without the "express consent" of his school is the basis for a KHSAA sanction, then I tell you that a lot of schools in northern Kentucky are in noncompliance. Those are the only facts that I could deduce from the article, and I have not seen the KHSAA opinion. I would have thought that if the coach taking him on a tour of the school was the fact that tipped the balance, and resulted in the finding that there had been a recruitment, that would have been mentioned in the article. Not that that even matters though. My question remains: is it a "recruitment" if the kid has another reason that he transferred for, and is it a "recruitment" if he transfers because, for example, his parent or a family friend is a teacher at the new school. I think the rule is too vague to be enforced, and unless the kid and the school both admitted that it was a recruitment for sports purposes, then I think that both of them have a legal argument that the KHSAA is selectively enforcing the rule against them.

They had one girl do the same thing a couple years ago and transfer to Murray. Everyone in the area knows she was recruited. Did they say anything then? No!! Now that all of the kids are leaving the school they had to put a plug in the drain anyway they could.

They had one girl do the same thing a couple years ago and transfer to Murray. Everyone in the area knows she was recruited. Did they say anything then? No!! Now that all of the kids are leaving the school they had to put a plug in the drain anyway they could.

They said something but nothing could be proven.

He transferred between his eighth grade and freshmen year.

Is this correct? The "recruitment" occurred while he was an 8th grader? So a kid who is entering his freshman year is given a tour of the high school, he's never played a game as a high schooler, and that is impermissible "recruiting"? Isn't that what every kid and family that is contemplating going to private schools like CovCath, Trinity does? And some of them play sports.

It boils down to the coach conducting the tour or the admissions team. it also boils down to "feeder" systems etc... At the end of the day it's about proving this stuff and finding people willing to come forward. The fact is, few people are willing to come forward in these situations.

That is why I said I understand her being eligible her sophomore season at University Heights. I also could understand her being eligible if she chose to go back to Christian County. The fact that she lives in Christian County's district and chose to transfer to Hopkinsville as a junior should make her ineligible but apparently if you threaten to sue that doesn't matter. Nice job KHSAA! Way to display the integrity that you expect from everyone else! You're giving me a great teaching tool for my daughter. When you don't get your way, threaten with a lawsuit!