NKY Football Seniors

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has nothing to do with playing in one area or another. Look at some of the D1 recruits from Ohio. Elder 6-5 310lb OL to ND, Colerain 6-1 QB 4.4/40 recruited as a DB Iowa State. 6-5 240lb TE from Moeller to Ohio State and I could go on. If these kids played HS football on the moon D1 programs would find them.

It has nothing to do with playing in one area or another. Look at some of the D1 recruits from Ohio. Elder 6-5 310lb OL to ND, Colerain 6-1 QB 4.4/40 recruited as a DB Iowa State. 6-5 240lb TE from Moeller to Ohio State and I could go on. If these kids played HS football on the moon D1 programs would find them.

You are mis-informed. I have followed this subject for quite some time and if D1 coaches come to Cincinnati and pass right through NKY headed to heavily populated Lexington and Louisville, NKY is not going to garner a lot of attention and this is not just my opinion it's the opinion of several coaches from many HS's in NKY AND D1 college coaches. If you don't want to think the area in which you live means anything call NCSA and they'll confirm what I'm saying. Put some of the top players in the NKY area on just about any team in Cincinnati and I can assure you the outcome would be different. Yeah, maybe there may not be Power 5 D1 talent on a regular consistent basis but certainly there is mid-major to FCS talent in the area. I won't debate the issue and you certainly are entitled to your opinion but recruiting budgets are not astronomical and coaches are going to frequent areas that are heavily populated on a consistent basis.

I appreciate the tone, thanks. Good conversation to have. I graduated, played in college and still to this day work with a HS in Cincy that has put a lot of kids in D1 uniforms and quite a few in NFL uniforms! First I think we are talking about apples and Oranges here, I think you are frustrated that Mid-Majors and II's (as they used to be called) are not spending time

looking at NKY kids?

Major D1's these days don't recruit in the "locating" player sense, the only time you will see a rep from a D1 school in your town is when they are trying to convince a kid to sign. They identify a kid that meets the mins. Size/Speed + Athletism and then investigate. If your 6-5 300 and bench 400 they will find you.

I think one of the big problems NKY kids deal with is the lack of consistent quality competition. Ex. If a NKY team crosses the river and gets beat by 30 and a kid does not produce much then the next week the same team plays a NKY team wins by 30 and the kid has a great game how is a college program supposed to evaluate this kid?

In a nutshell if you have the size/speed + athletism they are looking for they will find you, plenty of kids from NKY have gone major D1 over the years. But if you don't have the recruiting book size/speed Athletism and are playing in a non-competitive area colleges have no yardstick to measure you by, stats are meaningless (unless you are a kicker) ..they would prefer to take the chance on the undersized kid that produced against better competition. Just my 2c

Stats do not matter for a kicker either. You are right in that it is all about the measurables. I have seen plenty of kids that play for bad teams that are getting college scholarships because of their size. Heck Woodford County sent 2 kids to Division 1 this year and they went 3-8 and beat three very bad teams. Kids met the measurables. One can certainly play based upon what I witnessed first hand, the other I would bet may never see the field but will get 4 to 5 years of school paid for.

I appreciate the tone, thanks. Good conversation to have. I graduated, played in college and still to this day work with a HS in Cincy that has put a lot of kids in D1 uniforms and quite a few in NFL uniforms! First I think we are talking about apples and Oranges here, I think you are frustrated that Mid-Majors and II's (as they used to be called) are not spending time

looking at NKY kids?

Major D1's these days don't recruit in the "locating" player sense, the only time you will see a rep from a D1 school in your town is when they are trying to convince a kid to sign. They identify a kid that meets the mins. Size/Speed + Athletism and then investigate. If your 6-5 300 and bench 400 they will find you.

I think one of the big problems NKY kids deal with is the lack of consistent quality competition. Ex. If a NKY team crosses the river and gets beat by 30 and a kid does not produce much then the next week the same team plays a NKY team wins by 30 and the kid has a great game how is a college program supposed to evaluate this kid?

In a nutshell if you have the size/speed + athletism they are looking for they will find you, plenty of kids from NKY have gone major D1 over the years. But if you don't have the recruiting book size/speed Athletism and are playing in a non-competitive area colleges have no yardstick to measure you by, stats are meaningless (unless you are a kicker) ..they would prefer to take the chance on the undersized kid that produced against better competition. Just my 2c

This is 100% correct! There are 1 or 2 kids a year that would benefit from more exposure in Cincinnati. But most NKY stars would be role players at best across the river. It's a talent game and NKY lacks the elite talent. It's more suited to NAIA level competition.

I would be willing to bet whoever this is was looked at by D1 programs, if he is as portrayed. You just don't see many kids 6-4 275 that can run a 5.0 40. That being said if he has not recieced any D1 attention then something is up? Obviously I don't know, athletism, grades, ACT score?? Maybe somebody can fill us in? Also would love to know what his HS coach is doing to help the kid out if he not being recruited?

It's funny I had this conversation yesterday. Cincy ball is more competitive and usually at a much higher level than nky. Part of that reason is population. I bet a lot of kids that play in nky wouldn't in Cincy. It's not a knock on a kid but some of the kids are very talented but a few inches short or whatever the case maybe. NKY also has a lot of teams that have to play kids both ways. It's tough because lots of kids wear down very quickly because of that and may not make as many plays just from exhaustion which can kind of mask their athletic abilities.. Elder had 3 kids go to major D1 schools this year. Notre Dame, OSU, IU and 3 more to D1AA Lasalle is a much smaller school and still had 3 go to a major D1A school. 2 to OSU and one to Northwestern.. If you want exposure go to a Cincy High School.