Simon Kenton 43 Walton Verona 41

Intentional foul was made in back court. WV player ran from about 10' away and reached back and swiped the SK player holding the ball. It was not a play on the ball but rather a harder than necessary attempt to foul. Again, as I stated previously, I believe the girl didn't intend to hurt the SK player but really didn't make a play on the ball so that is probably why TWO officials signaled intentional. I would not have called it intentional but I am also not running up and down the floor listening to the constant badgering the officials take. By the book, it was the correct call. Situation, I wish it didn't occur at the time that it did because this is the type of thing you are going to hear regarding the officiating.

You might be having a little something extra in your kool aid. Film shows only one official gave the intentional call.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beg to differ. My guess is you don't see all 3 officials on film. I can tell you two officials held hands high with arms crossed albeit briefly. The one closest to the play made the official call to the scorer table.

Again, I told you I wouldn't have called it intentional myself.

How about the so called shot. Was it an actual shot or a throw? Can you give an honest appraisal.

I beg to differ. My guess is you don't see all 3 officials on film. I can tell you two officials held hands high with arms crossed albeit briefly. The one closest to the play made the official call to the scorer table.

Again, I told you I wouldn't have called it intentional myself.

How about the so called shot. Was it an actual shot or a throw? Can you give an honest appraisal.

Already have. In my strong but honest opinion, Ison was shooting the ball.

Post the video. Will let everyone see the pull up 30' jumper with sec. in the game. Not a smart shot with that much time left from that far out.

What everyone will see is a throw toward the basket after the foul. No shot.

Be patient. You may be sorry you asked for it. At a bare minimum, it's going to make you look silly the way you are describing it is not what the film shows.

And your trying hard to throw mean stuff around. It was not dumb at all. SK was fouling on purpose with a three point lead in order to prevent a clean 3 pointer and make Walton shoot free throws. The problem was sk had one to give sitting at six fouls. The play prior to the one in question, SK's Buckner fouled Ison pretty quickly to use some time. Ison KNOWING that she was going to get foiled again was prepared to shoot the ball when the foul came. Honestly, I think it surprised the officials.

Nah... not sorry at all. Like I said, the only thing that matters is what the officials called. You totally miss my point. If that was a legit shot then not smart at all. I wouldn't at all be happy with a player shooting a 30' shot with 8 or so seconds in game. If it was an attempt to draw a foul, smart play. But the refs didn't buy that it was a legit shot and neither do I. But again, doesn't matter what I think.

There is no argument. A very good ball game by two of the top teams in the region that featured two 8th region Player of the Year candidates, that was tied with under a minute, ended up being decided by two controversial calls. That is a bummer...real bummer.

And a poster tried to say that neither one made a difference. Well sometimes you gotta stand your ground.

What happened on the intentional foul?

The video did not capture all of the intentional foul call. You can catch just a bit of it on the right side of the screen.

In my opinion, it was an over zealous call and not necessary. The SK player fell down, however, how many times do players fall to the ground when fouled. Happens all the time. The situation was maybe somewhere around 30-40 seconds to play. Game tied. Walton only had 3 or 4 team fouls, so they were trying to let a little time of the clock, then foul to make SK inbound the ball again. Basically, they were using their "freebie" fouls, in order to burn clock and keep SK from setting something up offensively. The intentional foul call was the Walton player trying to "chase" down the SK player to get a foul on her.

And for sentinel, you can clearly see one official that comes from the right to make the intentional call, the one at the side line, and the one under the basket to the left, do not make the call. The one on the left, you cannot see until the very end of the video.

Why was the "on the floor" incorrect? Was the shooter airborne when fouled ?

Here is a video of what at least half the place thought was a shooting foul. I am pretty sure even the SK players on the floor thought it was also by the look of their body language.

The first part of the video will show the play just before the one in question where Walton inbounded and there was an SK "foul on purpose" since they were up 3 and had a foul to give. Just keep watching and eventually Walton will inbound it again on the sideline.

You all can decide. I can tell you, if you haven't seen already, its going to be hard to convince me that Ison was not shooting, especially when she knew that they were going to foul her for free throws instead of give her a 3 point attempt.

A shooting foul puts a kid who was the state's leading free throw shooter last year at 90% on the line.

not to get too much in the middle of this one so in the name of compromise I'll make two comments:

1) Stalling...patient...same result with different words if you're holding the ball out top to bring the defense

2) Saw the video..shot..no doubt..one hand or two does not matter.

There were so many calls that left you scratching your head that it didn't come down to one call. I didn't think it was a very good game to watch; just not much flow. I didn't like the intentional foul call but the act of shooting call? Looked like the girl got fouled and then threw the ball at the hoop; not act of shooting from my vantage point but I'll wait until the video posts for final judgment.

SK really struggled against the 1-3-1 zone. I did think Walton played harder for 50/50balls and rebounding and had a pretty good game plan by slowing the ball down.

I've never seen girls hitting the deck so much; got quite ridiculous IMO creating a dangerous situation for the player(s) attempting to get the call and the players who are dodging the player on the floor. It worked once but that was about it. I don't know the answer; is there any penalty for a player who tries to draw a foul by doing a belly flop to the floor? That strategy only takes a player out of the play and puts her team at a rebounding disadvantage; but again the worst thing is it is just dangerous.