High school football coach in Washington St put on administrative leave for praying.

Youngbloods

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming this is the same story that we already have a thread for? I didn't read the link.

If so, the courts are 100% clear on this. A coach cannot lead a prayer. Period. Doesn't matter if it's "voluntary."

This is not a new ruling.

He held a volunteer prayer that nobody was required to join. Players even said they didn't feel pressured. This has been a big deal all year. It's a shame that you are free to practice your religion unless you're a Christian in this country.

When's the last time ANY OTHER religion was represented at a game and got this attention?

I've never heard or seen a Jewish, um, prayer (is that the right word for that faith) before or after a game of any sport in this state.

Same for Islam or Hindu. The next time I see a person performing a Hindu or Islam "prayer" at a football game and come under criticism for it ... will be the first (granted I live in the Bible Belt and not exactly a melting pot of religions).

I was born and raised in the Catholic church. A paternal uncle is a priest in Brandenburg. He's also my godfather.

Not trying to start a holy war here, but to say Christianity is under fire at sporting events is not quite correct or truthful.

It's not like EVERY or ANY other religion is getting away with it (and Christian prayers, and only Christian prayers, are told to nip it in the bud and halt immediately).

At least it doesn't work that way where I'm from.

Not true...voluntary weights in winter and spring, voluntary June practice, voluntary spring ball. KHSAA is very clear that many things we do in sports is voluntary.

I assume this was meant sarcastically? If not, we have different definitions of voluntary. I include "highly coercive" outside the definition of voluntary.

Substantively, whether you agree or disagree Clyde is right. This is settled law for some time. A football coach at a public school holds too much authority to avoid coercing / compelling / influencing behavior. As such, his decision to pray in a public manner at a school event exposes the school to potential liability under an establishment clause claim.

Procedurally, he did it. He was told to stop it. He stopped it. He got hooked up with the Liberty Center group in TX and "decided" to either "follow his sincerely held religious beliefs that he could no longer suppress" OR "provoke the school into disciplining him" to grab some headlines for the traditionally oppressed group of Christians in America. :) Much like Kim Davis, he controlled whether he got suspended. He should not now complain about being suspended.

If he wants to work to amend the Constitution or to overturn the looooong line of cases which rule that his actions are prohibited, more power to him. I think those are both very tall mountains to climb, but he is more than welcome to try. Just abide by the law while you are doing it.

Interestingly, I am guessing there is a significantly overlapping venn diagram of those people who post "This coach is being denied his religious freedom of expression" and "the SC student wouldn't have gotten tossed around if she had simply complied with 1 of the 3 authority figures that told her to stop disrupting class." Hypocrisy? Who would have guessed?

Substantively, whether you agree or disagree Clyde is right. This is settled law for some time. A football coach at a public school holds too much authority to avoid coercing / compelling / influencing behavior. As such, his decision to pray in a public manner at a school event exposes the school to potential liability under an establishment clause claim.

Procedurally, he did it. He was told to stop it. He stopped it. He got hooked up with the Liberty Center group in TX and "decided" to either "follow his sincerely held religious beliefs that he could no longer suppress" OR "provoke the school into disciplining him" to grab some headlines for the traditionally oppressed group of Christians in America. :) Much like Kim Davis, he controlled whether he got suspended. He should not now complain about being suspended.

If he wants to work to amend the Constitution or to overturn the looooong line of cases which rule that his actions are prohibited, more power to him. I think those are both very tall mountains to climb, but he is more than welcome to try. Just abide by the law while you are doing it.

Interestingly, I am guessing there is a significantly overlapping venn diagram of those people who post "This coach is being denied his religious freedom of expression" and "the SC student wouldn't have gotten tossed around if she had simply complied with 1 of the 3 authority figures that told her to stop disrupting class." Hypocrisy? Who would have guessed?

I agree.. This is a no brainer. It's the law.. We although have a tendency in this country to pick and choose which laws we want to obey. Here's one: It's the law that at sporting events during the national anthem you must put your right hand over your heart and stand at attention. Those dressed in uniform must salute the flag. I have noticed at the Russell football games the announcer tells everyone to place there right hand over there heart. This is the law that most people just don't know about.

I agree.. This is a no brainer. It's the law.. We although have a tendency in this country to pick and choose which laws we want to obey. Here's one: It's the law that at sporting events during the national anthem you must put your right hand over your heart and stand at attention. Those dressed in uniform must salute the flag. I have noticed at the Russell football games the announcer tells everyone to place there right hand over there heart. This is the law that most people just don't know about.

What law are you talking about?