Another blown call in Seattle

D-Rob

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as it happened I questioned why it was ruled a touchback. I saw the swat of the ball and didn't think it was legal. Although I will admit I wasn't 100% of the rule as I thought it would be a safety. Either way, I didn't think it was allowed.

When nobody complained and there was no review, I chalked it up to me being completely ignorant of the rule and that I was wrong.

Heads up play to knock the ball out of the end Zone. He knew the rule and did the best thing he could. If he dove on the ball if could have squirted around. I always knew the rules in the sports I played. I felt it was always important to know what the situation or potential situation was. I know I made some refs uncomfortable knowing more than they did at times in some of the hack leagues I played in. Actually did something in flag football at college. They threw the flag against me and I promptly pulled out the rules and showed them it was legal. They reversed the call and changed the rule the following year. Should have seen the looks on Steve Meijer and Dan Henry's faces on that one.

I saw it immediately and knew it should be a penalty, but I honestly thought the penalty would just be applied to Seattle's possession rather than giving Detroit the ball back. It's no different than a kicker who kicks the ball through the back of the end zone, though that's an offensive penalty.

I don't know NFL rules , so was it legal or a blown call? I know the offense can not advance the ball, but the defense never had posession.

It was a blown call. The head of officials (or someone like that) said it was illegal for the ball to be batted like it was.

Here is the rule:

However, the NFL has a clear rule about batting in the end zone. Rule 12.1.8:

A player may not bat or punch: (a) a loose ball (in field of play) toward opponent's goal line; (b) a loose ball (that has touched the ground) in any direction, if it is in either end zone; © a backward pass in flight may not be batted forward by an offensive player.

Edited by nkuclubbaseball19
Found the rule