Advice for first time tree stand-er

Oldtimebaseball84

So I'm a second year deer hunter and this year I'm moving up in the air. 15 foot ladder stand, double person that I put up (with triple the straps to anchor me to the tree) about 3 months ago. I cut and now have 6 shooting lanes and I have cover on all sides of me, plus camp wrap. I good buddy gave me his camo tree umbrella......

I think I am set, but.........from you experienced "tree-ers" out there, what is the one or two items you discovered, or were told about that you now consider must haves?

So I'm a second year deer hunter and this year I'm moving up in the air. 15 foot ladder stand, double person that I put up (with triple the straps to anchor me to the tree) about 3 months ago. I cut and now have 6 shooting lanes and I have cover on all sides of me, plus camp wrap. I good buddy gave me his camo tree umbrella......

I think I am set, but.........from you experienced "tree-ers" out there, what is the one or two items you discovered, or were told about that you now consider must haves?

Pull up rope to tie your weapon (unloaded if it's a boomer) to lift it after you're in. I always put a blind around mine for concealment, not sure if you have one or not. But the most important thing IMHO, is comfort. Gotta be able to spend time, so you need to be comfortable. I admit I never used a hunter safety system in a ladder stand, but agree that it's important. The new harnesses on the market are awesome, and comfortable. I always used one with my climber. Nothing like forgetting to tie the platform to the seat and watching it crash to the ground with you in the air in a tree.

Be safe and have fun and good luck.

* Bow holder to accomodate a bow with a knocked arrow.

* A tree hook is a must: I hang a backpack from mine. Keep your seat space free to be able to move in the event you get snuck up on from behind. I also carry a couple turkey calls, water, snacks, and a good book. You can hang binocs and a call also if you don't want those on your neck.

* You may think you don't need a harness in a good ladder stand with space. I can't agree more with others who have said have a harness.

* Have a good hoist rope to lift the weight of your bow, backpack, i.e....

Be patient, have fun, and expect it when you least expect it. Nothing better than "harvesting" peace of mind in the woods if you don't harvest a deer.

P.S. All pun intended...don't forget that empty gatorade container! :thumb:

Will you be gun and bow hunting, or just one or the other?

Especially if you are bow hunting, practice from the stand. Make sure you can shoot from a sitting position as well as standing. Make sure your shooting rail and/or blind material is not going to interfere with your draw. Worst time in the world to find out you have a problem is when you try to draw on a deer and "clank" on something.