Missing Mike Fields this time of year

Mike Fields retired from the Lexington Herald-Leader after this past academic year. He did a marvelous job covering Central Kentucky high school sports and this time of year he always had a good flow of articles about the area football teams.

LHL has have almost no coverage of high school football this season. There is the ever present daily article on UK football. And that is OK. But that seems to come at the expense of almost any coverage at the prep level. High school coverage in the LHL since Mike has left is all but non-existent.

For those wanting to get some insight into Central Kentucky this year here is a link to WKYT's 27 teams in 27 days.

Kentucky Local News | WKYT | 27 Teams

Larger newspapers across the country are cutting back sports staff at the expense of high school sports. The Tennessean went through this a few years back.

It's a shame, but newspapers have always been behind the curve when it comes to adapting to changing times.

Mike Fields retired from the Lexington Herald-Leader after this past academic year. He did a marvelous job covering Central Kentucky high school sports and this time of year he always had a good flow of articles about the area football teams.

LHL has have almost no coverage of high school football this season. There is the ever present daily article on UK football. And that is OK. But that seems to come at the expense of almost any coverage at the prep level. High school coverage in the LHL since Mike has left is all but non-existent.

For those wanting to get some insight into Central Kentucky this year here is a link to WKYT's 27 teams in 27 days.

Kentucky Local News | WKYT | 27 Teams

Replacing Mike Fields (and Mark Maloney, who also retired and handled a lot of high school soccer, softball and girls' basketball for us) will be tough, but it's the job I'm tasked with so it's something I'm gonna pour my soul into.

Rest assured, the HL will continue to serve high schools under my watch. We'll have a ton of stuff online and in print starting this week. :)

Replacing Mike Fields (and Mark Maloney, who also retired and handled a lot of high school soccer, softball and girls' basketball for us) will be tough, but it's the job I'm tasked with so it's something I'm gonna pour my soul into.

Rest assured, the HL will continue to serve high schools under my watch. We'll have a ton of stuff online and in print starting this week. :)

Some big shoes to fill. Its not easy. Will there be a special section this week or weekend? Season starts this weekend.

^^^

If there is any way we can assist you just let us know.

BGP is a great resource with a ton of knowledgeable fans

Looking forward to watching you grow in the role!

This!!!

I'm excited for you and I admit a little bit of it is because you are an EKY boy from my home district. :thumb:

Mike Fields was one of the best to ever do it (Originally from the 15th Region - Pikeville). Josh Moore is young, talented, and motivated. Give him some time and lets see what he can do (big shoes to fill, but Im sure he is up for the task). Mr. Moore is also from the 15th Region (Inez)! Proud to see the LHL being so well represented by talent from the coal fields as I look forward to his coverage of EKY!!

The same can be said for NKY football as well. The coverage isn't as good as it used to be from the Cincy Enquirer. Hoping to do something about that when I retire from the day job....maybe a daily article on local HS sports.

The Enquirer is a rag. I miss Don Weber's weekly rundown of NKY sports.

Fields' weekly notebook was always good so I'd recommend sticking with something similar. I think it would be nice to profile (nothing huge) a team each week that has maybe flown under the radar. Too often it becomes Highlands, Trinity, St. X, and the Fayette schools (rightfully so, considering you are trying to sell newspapers), but a few words about a surprise team can give fans something new and it puts those out-of-sight programs in the eyes of some who know nothing about them.