Ashland QB?

GB32

1. Everyone knows you're crazy. I didn't think even you argued that point. :sssh::D

2. I think most people agree that platooning is best if there isn't a huge drop off in talent from player A and player B.

I think if the platooning started at the middle school level and continued to the varsity level you would see much less of a dropoff. Some players are naturally great, other players are average but can become great with good coaching and experience. If some of these kids were essentially getting twice as much playing time from middle school to jv, I expect they would be much more competitive at the varsity level.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if the platooning started at the middle school level and continued to the varsity level you would see much less of a dropoff. Some players are naturally great, other players are average but can become great with good coaching and experience. If some of these kids were essentially getting twice as much playing time from middle school to jv, I expect they would be much more competitive at the varsity level.

That is the key, and right now there is only one team in the middle school that is getting. The other, not at all. It needs to start with getting the "right" people in the correct spots. One group of coaches at the middle school level have played at the highest level (NFL), not so much with the other team. JMO

That is the key, and right now there is only one team in the middle school that is getting. The other, not at all. It needs to start with getting the "right" people in the correct spots. One group of coaches at the middle school level have played at the highest level (NFL), not so much with the other team. JMO

I agree that good coaching plays a huge part in a players development. Unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to find good coaches at the lower levels of play. There are some great ones, but in most cases the great ones end up taking a job at the high school level. That's not always the case, but it can essentially become a revolving door if you find good ones.

I would love for the "good ones" to take more of a roll at the high school level, unfortunately, it is what it is. I'm just afraid you are correct and they will get snatched up by another local school, and we will again lose out on some great coaches with unbelievable experience.

I would love for the "good ones" to take more of a roll at the high school level, unfortunately, it is what it is. I'm just afraid you are correct and they will get snatched up by another local school, and we will again lose out on some great coaches with unbelievable experience.

It certainly happens. There are some good coaches at the youth level, but most end up moving up in the ranks at whatever local system has an opening. Can't say that I blame them one bit though. A friend of mine that coached multiple youth leagues in Ashland was offered a job as an assistant on Russell's basketball staff when Jason Strader was hired. He's always been a Tomcat at heart, but its hard for any coach to take a pass on an opportunity to move up in the coaching ranks.

If I'm in charge. I try and follow FTH to the tee. Their JFL and Middle school teams play against each other never playing another opponent. For argument case at Ashland middle school last year had about 60 players 7th and 8th graders take those 60 and make 3 or 4 teams. Play each other it builds more position players down the road. Also at the Varsity level platoon platoon platoon only let your studs play both ways. Seen it at FTH last year and 2 years back. Ashlands 11 against FTH 11 was close maybe even Ashland with a slight advantage but running 2 WRs and 2 RBs on Offense and multiply subs between plays on D takes a toll on a team in the 2nd half. Average at best players making plays on wore out studs does 2 things demoralizes your opponent and gives your player confidence and PT.

Bingo. We have a winner.

RATLIFF is the starter. Kudos to playing the kids who the coaches think give you the best chance to win. Let's get it on!!!!!!

Well, that answers that question.

Now, are the other QB's going to be on the field at other positions?

Better for the team if he is that good. Doubt the kid could have played RB or any other position for them on varsity and the other two can! He will have plenty of toys to play with though as the QB

A lot of talent surrounding the kid. Manage the game and take care of the ball. Make a few plays here or their. Watched him practice he looks pretty good.