Ashland QB?

GB32

I have seen freshman teams play a season with less than 16.

Obviously it can be done, but who would want to put their team in that situation? To be comfortable, I'd like to have at least 20 to fill out a freshman roster, therefore you could mix and match players here and there. This, in turn, would allow maximum potential for success. JMHO.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what all I understand / know about the Tomcats this season is that whoever the QB will be, as Bama coach N. Saban would say that with all the talent surrounding them... "they just need to manage the game". Ashland imo is Absolutely Loaded and will be a tough if not impossible out for anyone on their schedule, including a playoff run.

(The best of luck to the Tomcats with of course the exception of your home game on Aug 28 vs. that weak little 1A school about 6-8 miles north on rt. 23, I think I heard that was Raceland :D.)

Yea my son is a freshman has played in middle school but decided not too this year. Wants to concentrate on basketball. What hurt them is 4 kids that played transferred out and last years coaching staff at the middle school only played the best 11 on everything. Has 30 plus 8 th graders 3/4 stood around and watched on sideline. Drove off some. They have a team got a couple more to come out and play.

My sons best friends play and they almost talked him into it but Unfortunately I'll have to wait until next year to see him come down the stairs. He has started hitting the weights and says he will play next year. Not bragging but he is very very fast.

From what all I understand / know about the Tomcats this season is that whoever the QB will be, as Bama coach N. Saban would say that with all the talent surrounding them... "they just need to manage the game". Ashland imo is Absolutely Loaded and will be a tough if not impossible out for anyone on their schedule, including a playoff run.

(The best of luck to the Tomcats with of course the exception of your home game on Aug 28 vs. that weak little 1A school about 6-8 miles north on rt. 23, I think I heard that was Raceland :D.)

Let's lot get too carried away now, lol. I do like your enthusiasm though.

Yea my son is a freshman has played in middle school but decided not too this year. Wants to concentrate on basketball. What hurt them is 4 kids that played transferred out and last years coaching staff at the middle school only played the best 11 on everything. Has 30 plus 8 th graders 3/4 stood around and watched on sideline. Drove off some. They have a team got a couple more to come out and play.

I imagine some of those that didn't return due to lack of playing time will eventually come back out once they see the opportunity for more playing time at the high school level.

Personally I wish coaches at the middle school, freshmen, and jv levels would give platooning a try. The more in game experience those kids get at those levels, the better they will be when they get to the varsity level. Another plus is that it keeps the kids interested, at that age some kids lose interest quickly when they don't get to play. IMO, it would increase participation numbers greatly.

Amen they put in the same time on the practice field let them all play even if it cost you some Wins. FTH middle school lets everyone play. They play each other until high school. If you have enough for 3 or 4 teams like the JFL that is developing more lineman RBs WRs and QBs playing among yourself and letting all get plenty of PT.

Amen they put in the same time on the practice field let them all play even if it cost you some Wins.

That would be my philosophy. Winning is always great. But at that level my goal would be to develop good character, friendships, and to get the youngsters ready for the next level of play. They would still win plenty of games IMO and continue to win more and more each year as they move up in class.

With the added experience some of the kids that may start out a little slower than others could turn into excellent players by the time they reach the jv level. To me that sounds like a better scenario than not playing them at all. I better quit before Ram see's this.

Here's my two cents. The freshman kid is good, looks like a natural QB. You can tell he has played the position at a pretty high level. Moves well, throws pretty well, looks really comfortable in the pocket and rolling out. Dowdy throws a good ball, seems to have good speed, but is small. I think he could do a good job at QB, but durability might be an issue. Roberts is built well and shook off several tackles during the scrimmage. To me he seems to be the better athlete, but would most likely be used better at RB. He did throw atleast 1 INT against Spring Valley.

My gut says they go with Dowdy to start the year, because I would imagine he is one of the faster kids on the team...and might not have spent much time getting reps at another position, wouldn't want him to get stuck on the sidelines. Roberts will be a nice compliment to Baker and Brown in the backfield.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Paintsville kid takeover at QB if either Roberts or Dowdy struggle.

My kid has classes with Ratliff. Told him today that he is the starter (Varsity). Also at Greenup County soccer game ran into a kid who is on the team Jaylen Thomas. Nice kid and good looking athlete. We have been talking some football. He is RB DB KR PR. He said they all have one goal and thats the State Title.

My kid has classes with Ratliff. Told him today that he is the starter (Varsity). Also at Greenup County soccer game ran into a kid who is on the team Jaylen Thomas. Nice kid and good looking athlete. We have been talking some football. He is RB DB KR PR. He said they all have one goal and thats the State Title.

Are you saying the coaching staff told him he is the starter?