July 29, 201511 yr With all the minimum wage discussion when will unpaid internships become a target and outlawed?
July 29, 201511 yr With all the minimum wage discussion when will unpaid internships become a target and outlawed? They have been a target for awhile. I'm on the side that ending them will hurt students gain valuable experience. But at the same time with rising tuition costs its harder and harder for a student of middle class backround to afford it. A little over a decade ago my senior year working full time , going to school full time and interning two or 3 days a week was stressful. I don't like the idea of the government getting involved and I also think to many student go through school without working and building up loan debt blaming it on being impossible to work full time and go to school which is not true. In a perfect world businesses will reward good interns and a lot do already. But I don't want government making a blanket rule because it will do more harm than good.
July 29, 201511 yr I don't know about outlawed. But here's a question: You (or your child) get offered a full-time, unpaid internship at a prestigious firm in your desired career field. You would have to relocate for a year to do it, most likely to a more expensive city. Do you take on the debt or otherwise find the money to do it? From what I gather the answer to that question is increasingly "yes."
July 29, 201511 yr I don't know about outlawed. But here's a question: You (or your child) get offered a full-time, unpaid internship at a prestigious firm in your desired career field. You would have to relocate for a year to do it, most likely to a more expensive city. Do you take on the debt or otherwise find the money to do it? From what I gather the answer to that question is increasingly "yes." Yes you become a zombie for a year , if that means bartending at night and having little to no sleep for a year you do it. The problem becomes the mindset that a lot of young people feel is they should only have to work 8 hours a day from the get go. If you get a prestigious internship and that means you work 8-12 hours there and 4-8 at paid job and working weekends you do it. A lot of internships aren't really need for actual daily work it's just a farm system to test people's character and work ethic.
July 29, 201511 yr I don't know about outlawed. But here's a question: You (or your child) get offered a full-time, unpaid internship at a prestigious firm in your desired career field. You would have to relocate for a year to do it, most likely to a more expensive city. Do you take on the debt or otherwise find the money to do it? From what I gather the answer to that question is increasingly "yes." Hell No.
July 29, 201511 yr I think that's my answer too. If they want me that bad to have to move cities, they will pay me, or I will find someone who will.
July 29, 201511 yr If they want me that bad to have to move cities, they will pay me, or I will find someone who will. I think the key piece in the scenario is that it's a prestigious firm that's offering the job...which means there's probably a line of people behind you that's willing to do it if you don't.
July 29, 201511 yr If they want me that bad to have to move cities, they will pay me, or I will find someone who will. I think they will just go extinct. Young people expect to get paid these days if they are going to work. Really who can blame them.
July 29, 201511 yr I think they will just go extinct. Young people expect to get paid these days if they are going to work. Really who can blame them. But that's the thing, people are tripping over each other to do these things. I don't know if it's because the job market is so tough that they are basically a necessity or that people have access to the money and aren't as concerned about the costs. I think there's something off somewhere.
July 29, 201511 yr I think the key piece in the scenario is that it's a prestigious firm that's offering the job...which means there's probably a line of people behind you that's willing to do it if you don't. There is no firm prestigious enough to go work for, move from my city, for no money. None.
July 29, 201511 yr There is no firm prestigious enough to go work for, move from my city, for no money. None. Maybe not for you personally. I'd be in a much better career place with the right internship placement.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.