Evolution vs. Homosexuality

BlueTip

How does genetic homosexuality square with the theory of evolution?

On the face it doesn't seem to make much sense in evolutionary terms. (Please bear in mind I say this not with any malice...I'm a long time gay rights supporter and I don't claim to have the answers to these questions more than anyone else)

Why would evolution take our species in a direction that wouldn't sustain the species (i.e. homosexuals cannot procreate with a same sex partner).

If homosexuals aren't procreating how can the 'homosexual trait' persist...how can it continue to be if homosexuals aren't passing the gene on?

I think the second question is easier to answer than the first. How/why would evolution go down this path is much tougher to understand.

How the gene gets passed seems relatively straight forward. People with homosexual gene (assuming it exists) are having sex with the opposite sex and creating babies. That's how it keeps going.

There's a big "why" in there somewhere though. Are people (1) 'knowingly homosexual' and in denial or (2) not aware of it somehow, and just normally procreating with the opposite sex?

Thoughts?

I haven't really thought through everything that you said in terms of formulating a response, but I will say this:

You said "If homosexuals aren't procreating how can the 'homosexual trait' persist...how can it continue to be if homosexuals aren't passing the gene on?"

The answer to that is actually pretty simple, assuming you're talking about the "homosexuality is genetic" argument: not all genetic traits are hereditary. People with Down Syndrome are the result of a genetic issue, wherein they developed a duplicate copy of their 21st chromosome while forming in their mother's womb. Had nothing to do with dad's genes, or mom's genes...but Down Syndrome is genetic. It is not hereditary, and thereby, there is no gene that is "passed on" to cause the syndrome. Similarly, if homosexuality is to be discovered to have its basis in genetics, it does not necessarily mean that those genes have to have been passed down through heredity.

Unless I'm confused, but I don't think you can say that the human species has evolved into homosexuals because we've had homosexuals way back through our history.

But twist your idea a little. Maybe we have evolved some and there is more homosexuality to help with population control?

Unless I'm confused, but I don't think you can say that the human species has evolved into homosexuals because we've had homosexuals way back through our history.

But twist your idea a little. Maybe we have evolved some and there is more homosexuality to help with population control?

Now that's an interesting take.

I would think that there would have to be a "balancing point" somewhere, though.

I've said before and I'll say it again, the left will become anti-abortion if the "gay gene" is found and can be detected in utero. Give a parent the option of aborting a baby with the "gay marker" like they now can a baby with the marker for Down's Syndrome and the LGBT community will become the countries biggest pro-life lobby.

I feel like it is in the brain's interpretation of certain hormones. Those interpretations affect physical attractions and personal recognition. There is so much about the brain that we haven't touched in terms of understanding that it could be hundreds of years from now, but it will be found.

Don't all form of animals have a homosexual trait in them? I believe we all are born with both interests and over time through our childhood and upbringing one wins out, either by nurture or nature.

Don't all form of animals have a homosexual trait in them? I believe we all are born with both interests and over time through our childhood and upbringing one wins out, either by nurture or nature.

Actually, I believe it's more accurately put in the case of animals to copulate when certain triggers are put into effect...similar to the way where my grandparent's dog used to jump into the fray and start rutting on my brothers and I when we would wrestle anywhere around him. The animal instinct to copulate to reproduce is a very strong one.

I've said before and I'll say it again, the left will become anti-abortion if the "gay gene" is found and can be detected in utero. Give a parent the option of aborting a baby with the "gay marker" like they now can a baby with the marker for Down's Syndrome and the LGBT community will become the countries biggest pro-life lobby.

Too late. There is already a fairly large segment of the LGBT community that supports pro-life causes. Just google "LGBT" + pro life. That community is very big on civil liberties...by extension many support and believe in right to life. And still, that community doesn't make up a large part of the population, certainly not enough to swing the whole left to pro life.

You could say this about any group...for example what if they discover a gene linked to obesity?? Would that group then quickly become a huge pro-life supporter?? Most special,interest groups can be fairly self serving when their interests are at stake. It's not unique to the LGBT community.

Too late. There is already a fairly large segment of the LGBT community that supports pro-life causes. Just google "LGBT" + pro life. That community is very big on civil liberties...by extension many support and believe in right to life. And still, that community doesn't make up a large part of the population, certainly not enough to swing the whole left to pro life.

You could say this about any group...for example what if they discover a gene linked to obesity?? Would that group then quickly become a huge pro-life supporter?? Most special,interest groups can be fairly self serving when their interests are at stake. It's not unique to the LGBT community.

Nope, because it's not politically correct to support fat rights.

Nope, because it's not politically correct to support fat rights.

For the VAST majority being fat is the result of the com I nation of many small choices. Not sure that being gay falls in line with that. Now, obese people resulting from Thyroid Issues, they have valid arguments.

Sorry if this is bringing up nightmares of high school bio and Punnett Squares, but assuming there is only one gene that codes for sexual preference (an assumption), and gay is recessive (another assumption), a straight person could be heterozygous. A child would be gay only if both parents passed the gay allele to the child.

This is consistent with why there are so many fatal alleles in the population. They are maintained in the heterozygotes and are only manifested in the homozygous condition.

There is also an argument that epigenetics, the impact that environmental factors play in turning certain genes on or off, plays a role in sexual preference, but that is too deep for me to discuss here.