Are the KY Heath Care Exchange providers really...

Double-digit increases AND a concomitant reduction in benefits was an annual occurrence when I worked. Every year. Where was the outrage then?

Mine went up about 5% the last several years...but for the first 20 or so years it would go up and down from year to year and many years we would get Insurance Holidays for anywhere from 1 to 3 pay periods at the end of the year if the insurance had already taken in more than enough to cover payouts for the year. Mine at worked started jumping in the mid 2000's but we had so many options that you could always keep a similar cost but you would lose some amount of coverage each year to keep your cost down.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double-digit increases AND a concomitant reduction in benefits was an annual occurrence when I worked. Every year. Where was the outrage then?

Its now seems to be accelerating. I will say I am on a self-insured plan. The issue with those is that employers can manipulate them help the company bottom line. So it is hard to lay all the blame on ACA. But things are definitely accelerating.

Using actual numbers for like-for-like plans my contribution went up 9% between 2009 and 2010 FY.

For 2012 to 2015 (projected) FY the increases are 32%, 14% and 18% YTY compounded. A total net increase of 77%.

And deductibles and co-pays took a marked up tick for 2015.

Interestingly 2009 to 2011 and 2011 to 2012 were almost flat - I remember being pleasantly surprised by the rates then.

The 9% a year increases seem like a dream now.

(and still waiting on my $2,500 savings!)....:)

BTW, Hawaii exchange bites the dust (or lava rock)....

Hawaii's health care collapse a bad omen for state Obamacare exchanges - Watchdog.org

Despite using up $135 million of an appropriated $205 million, Hawaii Health Connector fell well short of goals, enrolling just 37,000 Hawaiians since 2013.

The program ceased taking new enrollees on Friday, and health officials will end outreach services at the end of the month. The exchange’s 70-plus employees, temps and contractors will go home for good on Feb. 28, 2016.

As Hawaii begins transitioning to the federal exchange, Americans in other states may wonder what the death of Health Connector portends for their state exchanges.

To date, the Obama administration’s Department of Health and Human Services has spent $5.4 billion on state exchange websites.

According to Americans for Tax Reform, top recipients of that $5.4 billion are California ($1.06 billion), New York ($575 million), Oregon ($305 million), Washington ($302 million), Kentucky ($289 million), Massachusetts ($224 million), Hawaii ($205 million) and Vermont ($200 million).

Emphasis added.

President chides and challenges Supreme Court for taking up case where legality of heathcare.gov is at stake.

Obama says Supreme Court should never have taken up health law case, in blunt challenge | Fox News

President Obama bluntly challenged the Supreme Court over a pending ruling on the validity of ObamaCare subsidies, complaining Monday that the court should never have taken up the case -- and warning that a ruling against subsidies would be a "twisted interpretation" of the law.

After the first big ruling threaded the needle of logic there is no telling what will happen in this case.

The law is clear and there is plenty of supporting statements, videos, etc. that indicated the clear design and intent of the law - force states to create exchanges to qualify for subsidies. And if the states did not create exchanges, then the plan was to create internal pressure from the states citizens to force it to happen.

Seems like a combo Dixie Chick/Bill Clinton 'depends on what the meeting of is is' moment.

If the Court rules based on the wording the law (there is no real interpretation needed) then this should kill the mandate. But - history indicates anything can happen.

• 4 months later...
I dont want to, but at the rate its going, its going to cost more per month than my mortgage is.

I heard from a friend who sells group health insurance that almost all the early renewals he is receiving quotes on for the companies he handles are coming in at a reduced cost.

Update, I got my notice yesterday in the mail of 2016 increases.....only $12.00 per month increase. I did my happy dance. Considering my plan has more than doubled in just over 3 years. $12 is one days lunch a month.

• 3 weeks later...
The plan for my company was seeing double digit increases every year until the ACA. Two years ago we had a small increase. Last year we had a small decrease. These rates are not subsidized by the government. I don't claim that my experience is universal, but for my company it has been great. A nonprofit board I sit on saw an eight percent decrease for coverage last year. By the way, just change my screen name to resident ACA supporter.

Your company is the only example I have heard of this. Trust me, it is not the norm nation wide.

Finalized 2016. Rates for like for like plan has very nominal cost increase. Deductibles went up as much or more than previous years.

Invidiual annual deductable is over $1300.

The keep pushing the high deductable plan. But it only starts to pay once you meet the overall family deductable - around $5,000. And the perscription plan does not kick in until that is reached.

According to someone I know on the legal side of industry the deductibles will continue to rise until the plans look somewhat like a catastophic insurance - only paying out after you cover a lot on your own.